Bigger headlight caps

Useful How To posts
morgoth
Astra Model: Innovation 1.4 T 150hp
Astra Colour: Summit white

Bigger headlight caps

Post by morgoth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:44 pm

So those of you who tried to replace headlight bulbs with LEDs or HIDs probably noticed that the original headlight caps are really tight leaving almost no space at the rear side of the bulb. I wanted to try LED bulbs but I don't fancy driving around with uncovered headlights, so I decided to model and 3d print my own.

The result looks like this. The guy who printed them for me slightly modified the original model so it would use less support. They fit perfectly as the original ones (you only need to use that rubber gasket from original caps) and leave about 7cm of space from base of the bulb, enough to fit any LED bubls. If anyone is interested, I can modify the model for HIDs (make that cap smaller and leave hole for cables), so you don't have to drill holes into your original caps.

I've had them printed on https://www.3dhubs.com/, paid € 23,57 for both of them (printed with Z-ULTRAT) including shipping. I also got this $10 off code - http://3dhubs.refr.cc/GXN546H if anyone is interested.

You can get source project in FreeCad and 3d models for printing here.

Proph
Astra Model: 1.0T SRI NAV Ecoflex (105) S/S
Astra Colour: Summit White

Re: Bigger headlight caps

Post by Proph » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:59 pm

Great job buddy, I bought a set of rubber hid caps which aren't the best fit but ate soft enough to manipulate into the area and do the job, I may opt for your design at a later date.
1.0 Turbo SRI NAV (105) Start/Stop Ecoflex in White
powerflex bar, silver rimsavers & matching piano black driving instructor roof sign

darktemplar

Post by darktemplar » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:19 am

Hi which STL file should be used for 3D printing ?
Can i use cover_final.stl instead of opelcap.stl ?

morgoth

Post by morgoth » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:46 am

You can probably use either of them. cover_final is what I originally modelled and opelcap is modified version made by the guy who printed it for me so that it would be easier to print. I had no idea how to make model for 3d printer so I just created whatever looked good, maybe someone will be able to come up with better design.

Or you can just use the base with the locking mechanism and model your own. I think those I made are maybe way too big sice most LED bulbs need 1-2cm extra space at most, so you can save some money by making the top cover smaller.

Malcky
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTI SRI Nav EcoFlex
Astra Colour: Lava Red

Post by Malcky » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:28 am

Hi there,

Just to clarify.....the pictures you have linked to above shows it on your car and looks great....is that the "opelcap" stl version?

And on a side note.....what bulbs did you put in the car in the end?

Thanks

morgoth

Post by morgoth » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Yep that's the one. So far I've tried these, but they are less bright than standard halogen, also sometimes cause left parking light error (but I didn't expect much since they have some noname chines leds).

I've found some small problems during install - LED bulbs usually have very thick plastic base and its hard to properly secure them on both sides (but its doable). Also bulbs in astra aren't placed in the center but rather to the bottom left/right so you might have a problem fitting some bulbs with large heatsinks (like these) through the hole even with bigger caps.

But honestly the more I'm lookinig into it the more skeptical I'm that there can be decent LED bulbs with better perfomance than halogen. Stay clear from bulbs with no-name chips like the ones I bought and those with cob chips (those with large blob). It also seems like bulbs with luxeon ZES chips (those small squares) don't have enough power (even original philips H7 led bulbs with 8 chips per bulb are weaker than halogen - test here). I'm going to try some with cree XHP50 chips (according to datasheet should have about 2500lm per chip) and if that won't work then there's probably no point in getting LED bulbs.

Mafo's Hub

Post by Mafo's Hub » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:19 pm

morgoth wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:44 pm
So those of you who tried to replace headlight bulbs with LEDs or HIDs probably noticed that the original headlight caps are really tight leaving almost no space at the rear side of the bulb. I wanted to try LED bulbs but I don't fancy driving around with uncovered headlights, so I decided to model and 3d print my own.

The result looks like this. The guy who printed them for me slightly modified the original model so it would use less support. They fit perfectly as the original ones (you only need to use that rubber gasket from original caps) and leave about 7cm of space from base of the bulb, enough to fit any LED bubls. If anyone is interested, I can modify the model for HIDs (make that cap smaller and leave hole for cables), so you don't have to drill holes into your original caps.

I've had them printed on https://www.3dhubs.com/, paid € 23,57 for both of them (printed with Z-ULTRAT) including shipping. I also got this $10 off code - http://3dhubs.refr.cc/GXN546H if anyone is interested.

You can get source project in FreeCad and 3d models for printing here.

Hello morgoth, I need a little help to solve some questions about this headlight covers.

I am a user of the 3dhubs and I have a customer who want that I print him this pieces but I need solve this questions before.

1º the customer send me the pieces "opelcap" and "bottom only". Is the "botton_only" necessary print it? I thinks, about the pictures, that this "bottom" is only the bottom separetly of the "opel cap" without bottom and then you can assembly. Right? because I can see that you can't assembly "opelcap" with "bottom", is not possible and you didn't use it. So... only is necessary print "opel cap" right?

2º this is for you, Should you have paid a extra money for the modification about your orgignal cover?? the guy who print your order, I am sorry for say this if it is a disturb for you, didn't have idea about 3dprint technology or resistence mechanical. Your original model is perfectly printed, in adittion, is easier than the "opelcap" and he broke the good printability. I don't know why he did thas but is not a right re-design.

3º What material he use to created your piece? PLA or ABS? ABS I hope....

When I solve this questions and for you and others people I'm going to re-design your original model to make it stronger and perfectly printable and you will have a headlight for years, I don't know how much time the engine/road vibrations will break the piece.

Thanks so much morgoth and waitting your reply.

morgoth

Post by morgoth » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Hello,
  1. That's right, the bottom-only is just the bottom part of the cover which attaches to car. You don't want to print that, but it can be used to make different cover.
  2. I have no experinece with 3D printing so I didn't know whether the model will be easily printable or not. But the guy made the changes and printed it for the same price and it works well so I don't really care.
  3. The material used for prototyping (just the bottom-only) was Z-ABS, the final cover was printed with Z-ULTRAT (which should have better heat resistance). I was worried that the heat from the engine would cause problems but event the Z-ABS part worked perfectly. I actually lost one of the original covers so for a while I was driving around with the bottom-only part with the hole covered by silver tape and had no problems whatsoever.
Mafo's Hub wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:19 pm
When I solve this questions and for you and others people I'm going to re-design your original model to make it stronger and perfectly printable and you will have a headlight for years, I don't know how much time the engine/road vibrations will break the piece.
Thanks, when you're done send me link to the file so I can add it to the dropbox folder if you don't mind. If you're going to modify the model I would recommend adding small bump (like 1mm) on the part that locks with the car (see attached image). The original cover from Opel has it and it 'clicks' into place when you turn it (it works well without it but I guess this would make it more secure).

cover.PNG

Mafo's Hub

Post by Mafo's Hub » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:50 pm

Hello!

thanks so much for your reply.

to design things for 3dprint you only must think that this technology make the things for layers. Layer to layer from 0mm height and everything which don't have material under of its, it will be a problem because the printer will print in the air. So all this parts will need a extra material to get this support. BUT the printer can print without supports with a angle minimum of 45-40º without problems.

Do you undertand it? (sorry for my poor english...)

And thanks for you idea about the improvement but that design have problems because of my explanation, but I can think other similar idea :)

Mafo's Hub

Post by Mafo's Hub » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:59 pm

hello.

I have finished the re-design. I have improve a lot of things, mainly the thickness. IF you want this new design send me your email to send it to you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j5U_W ... SSf1idHq5X
https://drive.google.com/open?id=151MwD ... tz99f2pplV

In this pictures I show to you some changes which I have made. If you see some problem with themand the assembly in the car, please tell me now. :D

Return to “How To”