Fuel gauge reading

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
edinburghlad

Re: Fuel gauge reading

Post by edinburghlad » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:40 am

Got a phone call late this afternoon..... apparently replacing the fuel tank has fixed the issue. Picking up the car on Saturday lunchtime so I will provide a further update shortly.

From what I can see, onstar all is reporting my car as having a 96% full tank...... i have never seen it over 80% so I am hopeful this is the fix.

Update to follow

edinburghlad

Post by edinburghlad » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:44 pm

Go request a new fuel tank people..... Issue now resolved!

Needle is at full, I've run 20 miles and it hasn't budged!

BarrieC
Astra Model: 1.6 Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: Intellilux, Heated Seats, Pkg Sensors, Camera
Astra Colour: Dark Sky Blue

Post by BarrieC » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:11 am

I have a 1.6 Turbo 200PS. Lovely car; drives like a dream; Fuel Gauge and Trip MPG - Complete Fiction!!
Bought an ex-demonstrator last November with 4500 on the clock. Fuel gauge and trip MPG have been wrong from day one. Took it back, and was told "no problem, it's a software bug". Software updated - slight difference but definitely still wrong. Took it back again, and was told they can't find anything wrong with it, and the fault has not been reported elsewhere. Have been going back and forward with local dealership and Luton since January. Deadlock at present.
Brief stats Filling tank (3 clicks) - gauge almost always goes to only about 85=90%. Only once did it get close to full
Drive 40-50 miles and gauge already at three quarters! Range showing about 350
Trip plus range almost always consistent at around 400 total
120 miles on trip - fuel gauge half full - range for remaining half tank showing 280
Trip MPG is always optimistic - Trip 46.1 - actual 41.7; Trip 42.4 - actual 38.1
Trip once showed over 50 MPG - I wish!!
Having now found this forum, I feel better that I'm not alone, and will take print of forum comments to my dealership (next week when my contact comes back - no-one else can pick up his stuff)
And don't get me started on over-sensitive parking sensors. Bing Beeeeep Bong Beeep, AAAAARGHHHH. Thank heavens for the off button.

twiztidkid
Astra Model: Astra 1.4T 125
Astra Options: Design (basic as they come).
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by twiztidkid » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Mine never goes above 90%. The garage couldnt find anything wrong. Next time I fill up at the station opposite i'm going to drive it straight round to show them

JJ-Yorks
Astra Model: 5-door SRi 1.0Turbo

Post by JJ-Yorks » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:28 pm

When the nozzle clicks off while filling, if you persevere you can get another 4 litres of fuel into the tank, first two go in reasonably easily the last two slowly..upon doing this my gauge then shows a full tank as does the app which then states the tank as FULL.
Also I think it's more of an airlock issue...whilst filling the amount of gurgling that comes from the tank is quite amusing
1.0Turbo Power Red (130PS/205Nm Torque coming soon :D )

edinburghlad

Post by edinburghlad » Mon May 01, 2017 9:07 pm

My tank and guage have been behaving completely normally since the tank was replaced. Suggest you guys request a new tank.

markluk
Astra Model: 1.4T Sri
Astra Options: Parking Sensors
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by markluk » Mon May 08, 2017 10:36 am

Just to add my story to this thread.......

My Astra 1.4T went in and first it had a vehicle reset, next it has had a new fuel sender unit.....still not filling up to full. My dealer has raised this with Vauxhall and I await the response. New tank? What turnaround do they do replacement tanks?
Having Fun in a 1.4T Sri!

markluk
Astra Model: 1.4T Sri
Astra Options: Parking Sensors
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by markluk » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 am

Sorry to revive this post again but just need some thoughts on whether I should get chasing Vauxhall.

As a quick recap my Astra has been into twice to the local dealer (who are great) and it has had a new fuel sender and then a week later a IPC software update functional group:Fuel and exhaust system, the end result a slight improvement but not what I call fixed!

My latest tank 'fills' went something like this -

Tank filled, gauge shows full, OnStar shows full (11 gallons)
Drive 35 miles, gauge shows 7/8th full, OnStar shows 9 gallons
Today the gauge is approaching half after 150 miles, OnStar shows 7 gallons

Vauxhall have come back with it seems to be normal!

Other info I have is that I put in 36 litres and the gauge went from just above the red line to full.

Are others get these kind of figures and am I being petty about thinking of chasing this further?

TIA, Mark
Having Fun in a 1.4T Sri!

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar

Post by Paulch » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 am

markluk wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 am
Sorry to revive this post again but just need some thoughts on whether I should get chasing Vauxhall.

As a quick recap my Astra has been into twice to the local dealer (who are great) and it has had a new fuel sender and then a week later a IPC software update functional group:Fuel and exhaust system, the end result a slight improvement but not what I call fixed!

My latest tank 'fills' went something like this -

Tank filled, gauge shows full, OnStar shows full (11 gallons)
Drive 35 miles, gauge shows 7/8th full, OnStar shows 9 gallons
Today the gauge is approaching half after 150 miles, OnStar shows 7 gallons

Vauxhall have come back with it seems to be normal!

Other info I have is that I put in 36 litres and the gauge went from just above the red line to full.

Are others get these kind of figures and am I being petty about thinking of chasing this further?

TIA, Mark
Hi

I find the first half of the fuel gauge drops quite quickly and does roughly 140 miles. The second half drops more slowly and does around 190 miles before the light comes on. If I look at the app when the fuel gauge is showing full the app only shows 92%.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

Return to “Faults & Technical”