1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Redman
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 pm
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by Redman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Everything that is visible on the pictures, to me seems in good order. Well worth a try if out of warranty imho.

astraowner
Posts: 1899
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by astraowner » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 pm

Valer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pm
It's important that all the associated parts are checked as ok.

taken from the #14-E-3168 bulletin
2. Inspect the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain for damages
Note: Replace worn and damaged parts.
Exactly.

So even if you take it to vauxhall and pay them to do the tensioner and new gasket, you risk, ending up having to have the lot fixed, and the 4 times more expensive "engine out" if the guides for example has gone bad as they can not be changed without taking the engine out, and removing the gearbox.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

myukjob85@gmail.com
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Redman wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 pm
myukjob85@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:24 pm
Hi all, I can confirm that the noise in gone after the gasket install. And engine sounds better
Good result and good of you to take the time to take photos and help others. If I had a diesel making the noise I would attempt this DIY. I don't recall you mentioning anything about the tie wraps keeping the chain on/tensioned and remembering to remove them, unless I've missed that.
To think GM referred to this diesel engine as the whisper engine.
Yes forgot to specify about putting the tie wraps to keep the chain tensioned. But is is a good practice to do it and remove after install. And also check with a endoscopic camera how the guides are looking.

myukjob85@gmail.com
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:45 pm

astraowner wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 pm
Valer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pm
It's important that all the associated parts are checked as ok.

taken from the #14-E-3168 bulletin
2. Inspect the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain for damages
Note: Replace worn and damaged parts.
Exactly.

So even if you take it to vauxhall and pay them to do the tensioner and new gasket, you risk, ending up having to have the lot fixed, and the 4 times more expensive "engine out" if the guides for example has gone bad as they can not be changed without taking the engine out, and removing the gearbox.
When you had it open is easy to inspect the guides with an endoscopic camera, is about £25 on eurocarparts

myukjob85@gmail.com
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 pm

astraowner wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:57 pm
Redman wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm
Spainopel wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:06 pm
Genial bricolaje amigo.
A mí me lo hicieron en la Opel hace unos días y sin coste alguno.
Solamente comentarte que a todo lo que has aportado que también han cambiado el tensor de la correa de distribución, el cual no es el mismo que el de serie, ha cambiado el modelo.
Gracias por explicarlo tan bien.
Translated

Cool DIY friend. They did it to me at the Opel a few days ago and at no cost. Just tell you that to everything you have contributed that they have also changed the timing belt tensioner, which is not the same as the standard one, the model has changed. Thanks for explaining it so well.
I was told that the local vauxhall garage had also changed the whole lot, chain, guides, cogs, and whatnot. The booker said that he would not recommend the "quick fix" with the tensioner if the engine was rattling, as the chain would likely be damaged, the guides would likely be stripped of the plastic that the chain runs on.
That is why this operation will only work if the noise is on start for couple of seconds. And all the parts should be checked with an endoscopic camera.

myukjob85@gmail.com
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Valer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pm
astraowner wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:57 pm
Redman wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm


Translated

Cool DIY friend. They did it to me at the Opel a few days ago and at no cost. Just tell you that to everything you have contributed that they have also changed the timing belt tensioner, which is not the same as the standard one, the model has changed. Thanks for explaining it so well.
I was told that the local vauxhall garage had also changed the whole lot, chain, guides, cogs, and whatnot. The booker said that he would not recommend the "quick fix" with the tensioner if the engine was rattling, as the chain would likely be damaged, the guides would likely be stripped of the plastic that the chain runs on.
It's important that all the associated parts are checked as ok.

taken from the #14-E-3168 bulletin
2. Inspect the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain for damages
Note: Replace worn and damaged parts.
That is why all guides should be checked with an endoscopic camera.

bojo
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:51 am

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by bojo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:56 pm

At what sort of mileage does the noise tend to start ? Mine is a 1.6 135 2017 reg . 13000 miles in immaculate condition. (no noise on startup )so out of warranty . Unfortunately i don't have service history as it was a mobility car and they didn't pass the service history record and one of the keys anyway thanks for the details . I think I can hazel the job if I had all the detailed instructions . What have I let myself in for getting this car !!

LADmachining
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:37 pm
Astra Model: Astra-K 1.6t SRi Nav VX-Line
Astra Colour: Sovereign Silver
Location: Hampshire

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by LADmachining » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:26 pm

bojo wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:56 pm
At what sort of mileage does the noise tend to start ? Mine is a 1.6 135 2017 reg . 13000 miles in immaculate condition. (no noise on startup )so out of warranty . Unfortunately i don't have service history as it was a mobility car and they didn't pass the service history record and one of the keys anyway thanks for the details . I think I can hazel the job if I had all the detailed instructions . What have I let myself in for getting this car !!
If you register on the MyVauxhall website and enter the vehicle details, you should be able to access vehicle service history even before you owned it (if it was serviced at a Vauxhall dealer, of course).
Vx Dealer Technician 1995 - 2001
"When cars were simple.. -ish!"

bojo
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:51 am

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by bojo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 am

Any idea where I can get all the info to carry out the chain update ? as a precaution as I intend to keep my Astra for a long time like my Astra H which I have owned for 12 pretty pretty trouble free years . ( Seriously regretting changing to the K ) I always maintain and repair my cars . Not too happy to have to take it to main dealer for the breaks recall as @ the moment I can't see anything wrong with them . Oh and I have checked on the my Vauxhall site and no services shown but I trust that it has been serviced by the motability lease company my other Astra was the same this feels runs and even smelles like a new car and the price was very reasonable for a 12000 mile car .

myukjob85@gmail.com
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:44 pm

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:11 pm

bojo wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 am
Any idea where I can get all the info to carry out the chain update ? as a precaution as I intend to keep my Astra for a long time like my Astra H which I have owned for 12 pretty pretty trouble free years . ( Seriously regretting changing to the K ) I always maintain and repair my cars . Not too happy to have to take it to main dealer for the breaks recall as @ the moment I can't see anything wrong with them . Oh and I have checked on the my Vauxhall site and no services shown but I trust that it has been serviced by the motability lease company my other Astra was the same this feels runs and even smelles like a new car and the price was very reasonable for a 12000 mile car .
You want to replace the chain kit? or only to install this gasket?

Post Reply