Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
GRAHAMY09
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 1.6 cdti (136) elite
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by GRAHAMY09 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:36 pm

bojo wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:56 pm
At what sort of mileage does the noise tend to start ? Mine is a 1.6 135 2017 reg . 13000 miles in immaculate condition. (no noise on startup )so out of warranty . Unfortunately i don't have service history as it was a mobility car and they didn't pass the service history record and one of the keys anyway thanks for the details . I think I can hazel the job if I had all the detailed instructions . What have I let myself in for getting this car !!
I am sure vauxhall fixed this issue before the 17 reg came out

Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Post by Valer » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:43 pm

GRAHAMY09 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:36 pm
bojo wrote:
At what sort of mileage does the noise tend to start ? Mine is a 1.6 135 2017 reg . 13000 miles in immaculate condition. (no noise on startup )so out of warranty . Unfortunately i don't have service history as it was a mobility car and they didn't pass the service history record and one of the keys anyway thanks for the details . I think I can hazel the job if I had all the detailed instructions . What have I let myself in for getting this car !!
Not sure about that,they only introduced the additional tensioner gasket modification in late 2020
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

GRAHAMY09
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 1.6 cdti (136) elite
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by GRAHAMY09 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:36 pm

Valer wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:43 pm
GRAHAMY09 wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:36 pm
bojo wrote:
Not sure about that,they only introduced the additional tensioner gasket modification in late 2020
Well when i said fixed i meant to say they redesigned the tensioner

bojo

Post by bojo » Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 pm

Well I'm sure now it's definitely making the chain rattle on start up not all the time I admit and briefly though the other day it was parked facing up hill and I swear it was a lot noisier than normal . That's why I'd like to have it sorted asap while it just started to make the noise .

bojo

Post by bojo » Mon May 03, 2021 5:16 pm

Sorry I didn't answer before . I would like to just install the updated for the tentioner as I said it only makes the noise for very few seconds and sometimes it doesn't at all . Not sure why the other day I left it facing on an uphill incline and it was louder and longer than normal . Do you think that's significant ?
Thanks .

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Mon May 03, 2021 11:04 pm

bojo wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:16 pm
Sorry I didn't answer before . I would like to just install the updated for the tentioner as I said it only makes the noise for very few seconds and sometimes it doesn't at all . Not sure why the other day I left it facing on an uphill incline and it was louder and longer than normal . Do you think that's significant ?
Thanks .
During my earlier 1.6d K owning days (2016 plate), I had no rattle during start up for the first year of ownership. Then one morning it started to rattle during every cold start (couldn't miss it), then shortly after that it started to intermittently rattle during warm & cold start ups. It was slowly becoming progressive. I then decided to sell the car (part ex it). At that time there was no warranty fix, just the usual "it's a characteristic of the engine", which I new it wasn't. I'd install the update now if I was experiencing the early stages of this issue if I was wanting to keep the car. I just put it down to bad design, especially when you need to drop the engine to replace the timing chain.