1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: 1.6 diesel engine rattle noise at start fix DIY

Post by Redman » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:26 pm

Everything that is visible on the pictures, to me seems in good order. Well worth a try if out of warranty imho.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 pm

Valer wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pm
It's important that all the associated parts are checked as ok.

taken from the #14-E-3168 bulletin
2. Inspect the timing chain tensioner and the timing chain for damages
Note: Replace worn and damaged parts.
Exactly.

So even if you take it to vauxhall and pay them to do the tensioner and new gasket, you risk, ending up having to have the lot fixed, and the 4 times more expensive "engine out" if the guides for example has gone bad as they can not be changed without taking the engine out, and removing the gearbox.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

myukjob85@gmail.com

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:43 pm

Redman wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 pm
myukjob85@gmail.com wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:24 pm
Hi all, I can confirm that the noise in gone after the gasket install. And engine sounds better
Good result and good of you to take the time to take photos and help others. If I had a diesel making the noise I would attempt this DIY. I don't recall you mentioning anything about the tie wraps keeping the chain on/tensioned and remembering to remove them, unless I've missed that.
To think GM referred to this diesel engine as the whisper engine.
Yes forgot to specify about putting the tie wraps to keep the chain tensioned. But is is a good practice to do it and remove after install. And also check with a endoscopic camera how the guides are looking.

myukjob85@gmail.com

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:45 pm

astraowner wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 pm
Valer wrote:

Exactly.

So even if you take it to vauxhall and pay them to do the tensioner and new gasket, you risk, ending up having to have the lot fixed, and the 4 times more expensive "engine out" if the guides for example has gone bad as they can not be changed without taking the engine out, and removing the gearbox.
When you had it open is easy to inspect the guides with an endoscopic camera, is about £25 on eurocarparts

myukjob85@gmail.com

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 pm

astraowner wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:57 pm
Redman wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm
Spainopel wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:06 pm
Genial bricolaje amigo.
A mí me lo hicieron en la Opel hace unos días y sin coste alguno.
Solamente comentarte que a todo lo que has aportado que también han cambiado el tensor de la correa de distribución, el cual no es el mismo que el de serie, ha cambiado el modelo.
Gracias por explicarlo tan bien.
Translated

Cool DIY friend. They did it to me at the Opel a few days ago and at no cost. Just tell you that to everything you have contributed that they have also changed the timing belt tensioner, which is not the same as the standard one, the model has changed. Thanks for explaining it so well.
I was told that the local vauxhall garage had also changed the whole lot, chain, guides, cogs, and whatnot. The booker said that he would not recommend the "quick fix" with the tensioner if the engine was rattling, as the chain would likely be damaged, the guides would likely be stripped of the plastic that the chain runs on.
That is why this operation will only work if the noise is on start for couple of seconds. And all the parts should be checked with an endoscopic camera.

myukjob85@gmail.com

Post by myukjob85@gmail.com » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Valer wrote:
astraowner wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:57 pm
Redman wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm

Translated

Cool DIY friend. They did it to me at the Opel a few days ago and at no cost. Just tell you that to everything you have contributed that they have also changed the timing belt tensioner, which is not the same as the standard one, the model has changed. Thanks for explaining it so well.
I was told that the local vauxhall garage had also changed the whole lot, chain, guides, cogs, and whatnot. The booker said that he would not recommend the "quick fix" with the tensioner if the engine was rattling, as the chain would likely be damaged, the guides would likely be stripped of the plastic that the chain runs on.

That is why all guides should be checked with an endoscopic camera.