Headlights flickering when moving

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Ine

Headlights flickering when moving

Post by Ine » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:16 am

I got a 17 plate Astra K estate just this week and have run into a problem. At night there's a definite dimming and coming back to full brightness of the dipped halogen headlights seemingly at random. I've looked around the forum and seen other people have reported this, but they seem to be saying that it happens when stopped. I am not talking about when stopped, I'm talking about full motorway speed.

I had a Corsa a while ago and I remember the headlights on that dimmed a little bit when stationary and doing something else that required power such as using a window or turning the wheel, but that was much less noticeable, so I don't think it's the same "smart alternator" issue. My current issue also does not seem to be related to steering or using any other electrical items.

I've checked the fuses, and I've pulled the bulbs out to check the filaments and see if they're wobbly, but everything is fine. What else can I do without going to a garage? What could the problem be? I'm reluctant to spend money on it just a week after buying the thing.
Last edited by Ine on Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

astramaster

Re: Headlights flickering when moving

Post by astramaster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:39 am

IntelliLux LED ?
Isn't that AHB (automatic high beam assist) ?

Ine

Post by Ine » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:52 am

astramaster wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:39 am
IntelliLux LED ?
Isn't that AHB (automatic high beam assist) ?
They're normal halogen bulbs, and the dimming isn't when there are other bright lights around, it's seemingly (to me) random.

astramaster

Post by astramaster » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:22 pm

Ine wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:52 am
They're normal halogen bulbs, and the dimming isn't when there are other bright lights around, it's seemingly (to me) random.

That's strange... Check by the inside if the lamp is properly fixed.

Ine

Post by Ine » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:44 pm

astramaster wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:22 pm
That's strange... Check by the inside if the lamp is properly fixed.
Everything seemed fixed in place fine to me, and the bulbs looked good as well. I had a tail light go out as well today so I just replaced both tail lights and both headlights. I'll check when it goes dark to see if replacing them helped.

Ine

Post by Ine » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:39 pm

Changing the bulbs seems to have fixed it, so I guess case closed, but equally it could have been pushing all the wires and fuses in throughout the day. Nevertheless very strange.