Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
greengreg
Astra Model: 1.4T SRI
Astra Options: Adv park assist/AGR/ Rear camera/blindspot alert
Astra Colour: Power Red

Radio interference

Post by greengreg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:24 am

Hi all,

I got in the car tonight and found that I am unable to get any FM or AM radio stations, when I update the station lists it dosen't find any. DAB is working fine I have unscrewed the aerial and refitted it with some conductivity paste and it made no differance just wodering if anyone has had the same problem and how they sorted it.

Regards

Greg.

Kcirtap
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: Flip Chip

Re: Radio interference

Post by Kcirtap » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:07 am

I believed that the analogue aerial is on the back window of the Astra - not the top, (at least it is on mine).
I have had it before when wet leaves were on the back window it blocked the signal of just the analogue radio.
Not suggesting you haven’t checked that, but could something else be blocking it, or has the thin wire on the window become damaged?

Pat

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Yes, if you have GPS, then the shark fin is only for GPS and Onstar, the FM/AM/DAB antenna is in the side window just like the heating strips in the rear window.

Should read "antenna" on the window somewhere
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

greengreg

Post by greengreg » Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks for the replys, mine is a non sat nav model so I asume that the anntena on the rear window is for the DAB radio (working fine) and the roof one is for FM/AM so I am thinking that the amplifier on the roof unit has stopped working. I will have to check with the local dealer about getting a new unit.
Regards
Greg

greengreg

Post by greengreg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:45 am

Bought a new roof aerial from the local VX dealer £72 with the owners club discount, fitted it yesterday all working fine again.
Regards
Greg

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:54 am

greengreg wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:45 am
Bought a new roof aerial from the local VX dealer £72 with the owners club discount, fitted it yesterday all working fine again.
Regards
Greg
Did you buy a new aerial complete with the base or just the screw off stub ?
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

greengreg

Post by greengreg » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Just the base, the stub is sold seperately.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:21 pm

greengreg wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:05 pm
Just the base, the stub is sold seperately.
So you changed the base ?

Was that difficult.

Does it have an antenna amplifier in the base ? (Is there other wires going to the base, other than the antenna lead ?)

greengreg

Post by greengreg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:29 am

Yes the amplifier is in the base unit, mine non gps has 2 connections. It is easy enough to do just pullout the middle button on the headlining and you can see the10mm clamping bolt, unclip the 2 connectors and undo the bolt and it lifts out. The hole is square so no worrys about lining the unit up and the clamp locates onto the plastic base so as you tighten the bolt up the clamp slides up until it is secure.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:16 pm

greengreg wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:29 am
Yes the amplifier is in the base unit, mine non gps has 2 connections. It is easy enough to do just pullout the middle button on the headlining and you can see the10mm clamping bolt, unclip the 2 connectors and undo the bolt and it lifts out. The hole is square so no worrys about lining the unit up and the clamp locates onto the plastic base so as you tighten the bolt up the clamp slides up until it is secure.
So no "Removing the headliner" is actually needed, just unclip a bit of it and you can get your hand in there.

What about torquing the the part up. Something about it being able to leak water into the car if not done at the right torque.