Orange engine light and limp mode... DPF?

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
raid33

Orange engine light and limp mode... DPF?

Post by raid33 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:21 am

Hi,

I've had my K for about 3 months. Recently while accelerating on the motorway the engine light came on and the revs were limited.

I did some digging and found out this COULD be an issue with the DPF being blocked/approaching being blocked. I live about 15mins from work so I guessed it was that. I went to Halfrauds and got some DPF cleaner which I tipped into my tank with a full load of fuel and took it for a decent drive.

When I came to the car the next day I started it up and the engine light was not on! Success! So I've gone about my business as normal. I'v ebeen down the A roads a few times this week putting together some decent mileage so I thought with the cleaner in the tank too this will give it a right good cleaning... or so I thought.

The engine light came on again earlier today. So now i'm back to square 1 again and a bit confused.

I've looked in the manual and it says that I need to look for this light when driving to indicate that the car is doing a regen:

vauxhall-insignia-parking-dpf.gif

...but I've NEVER seen that light ever. The only light I've seen is the orange engine light which appeared the other day.

I don't suppose anyone's got any ideas have they? I don't have much hair and I can't afford to tear any more out.

Can anyone advise where the DPF light shown is supposed to appear?! Can anyone find a picture of it in action (because I can't)

Cheers all,

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Re: Orange engine light and limp mode... DPF?

Post by danh23 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:51 am

From what I seen Vauxhall have got rid of that light since 2017 so it's hard to see if it's doing a regen
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

Kcirtap
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6
Astra Options: ELITE
Astra Colour: Flip Chip

Post by Kcirtap » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:07 am

If you are doing short drive I would suggest a longer trip down the motorway but stay in a lower gear, still at 70. Keep revs over 3000.
I don’t have this issue on my Astra, but the Vauxhall vans at work this happens a a lot (same symptoms as yours) just from driving short distances a round town.
High revs over a longer period should hear up the exhaust and help it burn up what ever is in there.
I have found that the DPF cleaners in Halfords helps but not as much as the high revs - it is rubbish for mpg but works!
Diesels are not great for loads of long trips - they enjoy a good long run every now and again.

Hope this helps you out!

P

raid33

Post by raid33 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:00 pm

Kcirtap wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:07 am
If you are doing short drive I would suggest a longer trip down the motorway but stay in a lower gear, still at 70. Keep revs over 3000.
I don’t have this issue on my Astra, but the Vauxhall vans at work this happens a a lot (same symptoms as yours) just from driving short distances a round town.
High revs over a longer period should hear up the exhaust and help it burn up what ever is in there.
I have found that the DPF cleaners in Halfords helps but not as much as the high revs - it is rubbish for mpg but works!
Diesels are not great for loads of long trips - they enjoy a good long run every now and again.

Hope this helps you out!

P
I did use the DPF cleaner (not redex) and then went for a nice long 2-3k rpm drive down the motorway and that did initially clear it but now it's back again. :( I guess is only cleared a bit of it?

Should I keep the revs around 3-4k you think? I was a little under that when I went for my drive before. How often do you get the light appearing? Hopefully this isn't a regular issue as it's a bit of a headache!

Thanks for your post by the way!

raid33

Post by raid33 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:00 pm

danh23 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:51 am
From what I seen Vauxhall have got rid of that light since 2017 so it's hard to see if it's doing a regen
Jesus. Cheers Vauxhall...!

880PEL
Astra Model: OPC-line 1,6T Automatic

Post by 880PEL » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:05 pm

Doesn´t it keep idle revs higher than usual.. around 1100rpm?
VAG 2,0 110kw diesel is really easy to spot doing cleaning cycle - higher idle revs, no SS system available, it actually sounds different also.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm

Out of curiosity what's the mileage on your Astra raid33 ?

raid33

Post by raid33 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Pompeydave wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Just ticked over 24000 - so not much!

I did however go through a huge amount of water recently and got stuck... not sure if that would cause issues?

raid33

Post by raid33 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:51 pm

880PEL wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:05 pm
Doesn´t it keep idle revs higher than usual.. around 1100rpm?
VAG 2,0 110kw diesel is really easy to spot doing cleaning cycle - higher idle revs, no SS system available, it actually sounds different also.
I’m sat in here right now and it seems to be idling at 1800 ish... doesn’t appear it’s doing anything out of the ordinary.

I’ve never noticed anything different in terms of idle anyway.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:24 pm

raid33 wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:50 pm
Pompeydave wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:06 pm
Just ticked over 24000 - so not much!

I did however go through a huge amount of water recently and got stuck... not sure if that would cause issues?
That could be the cause , but could be lots of things.
Water & electrics don't go well together .
Water in the inlet etc also going to cause issues. Have you checked for any error codes ?