Android Auto issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Steve Francis

Re: Android Auto issue

Post by Steve Francis » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:08 pm

When I went to book mine in they said there would be a charge of €45.
I told them I wasn't paying as the car should have been sold to me with the most up to date software when all the other pre sale checks were done.
I have only have the car since August.
They agreed and the Car is going in for the update on the 14th with no charge

mrtailorson_
Astra Model: CDTI 1.6 (136 PS)
Astra Options: Enjoy (a.k.a not much)
Astra Colour: Power Red

nov 6 release

Post by mrtailorson_ » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:10 pm

anyone tried out the november 6 (yesterday) release? https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-auto/android-auto-4-8-5943-release/

did it make the problem go away?

robfox
Astra Model: 1.4T Manual
Astra Colour: Red

Post by robfox » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:21 pm

I've been having the same problem. My phone updated quite a few apps yesterday, and today Android Auto is working normally again.

Redknight

Post by Redknight » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 am

I went this morning to Vauxhall's main dealership in Belfast and they did the upgrade for free in about 30 minutes. They didn't even mention money and they paid nothing to Vauxhall on my behalf. It was a simple USB stick in the car and resetting a code somewhere.

Slightly frustratingly, despite me being a print out from the forum with exact firmware versions on it, they only upgraded me to a version that was newer than my old one, but only a version or two.

That said, I can confirm that the upgrade resolved the Android auto issue we are all experiencing.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Redknight wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 am
I went this morning to Vauxhall's main dealership in Belfast and they did the upgrade for free in about 30 minutes. They didn't even mention money and they paid nothing to Vauxhall on my behalf. It was a simple USB stick in the car and resetting a code somewhere.

Slightly frustratingly, despite me being a print out from the forum with exact firmware versions on it, they only upgraded me to a version that was newer than my old one, but only a version or two.

That said, I can confirm that the upgrade resolved the Android auto issue we are all experiencing.
I also experienced that. They upgraded it the first time from "version 1" to "version 2" but newest version was "Version 5"

I complained and they put Version 5 on my radio.

I would not be content with version 2, as you might have the AA problem resolved, but some of the other problems are not.

Test if the volume sliders are seperated for example...If not, complain about them not being seperate
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Redknight

Post by Redknight » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:56 pm

Fair point, although they did it as a bit of a favour with no hassle our fee. I'm a little reluctant to complain as I have no issues at the moment that really bother me

Redknight

Post by Redknight » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:06 pm

They have installed;

SW version 1.23.99.0
HW E2
Jun 8 2016

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Redknight wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:56 pm
Fair point, although they did it as a bit of a favour with no hassle our fee. I'm a little reluctant to complain as I have no issues at the moment that really bother me
I understand that.

The only sad thing is, it would not have taken any longer to do the latest version.

I bet the 2016 version you have is a lot better than the latest so if you can live with that one, just keep it.

The 2015 firmware had problems remembering the RDS name in the preset buttons and had no seperate volume sliders for bluetooth, navigation and radio.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Redknight

Post by Redknight » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 pm

I noticed that I can now switch off the car with my phone connected and when I switch it back on the AA still works. I used to have to unplug and plug my phone back into the cable.

I also got strange black screens which seem to have gone away.

They said they only saw that one upgrade. So either, they weren't looking properly, Vauxhall don't make it easy for them to find or perhaps it only comes up as an option once you've done each upgrade. I.e. stepped upgraded.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Redknight wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 pm
I noticed that I can now switch off the car with my phone connected and when I switch it back on the AA still works. I used to have to unplug and plug my phone back into the cable.

I also got strange black screens which seem to have gone away.

They said they only saw that one upgrade. So either, they weren't looking properly, Vauxhall don't make it easy for them to find or perhaps it only comes up as an option once you've done each upgrade. I.e. stepped upgraded.
Their own TSB for the update states that they should just go to the vauxhall server and download the firmware. I would be surprised if the vauxhall server had anything but the latest version.

My guess is that when the cars, were first sold in 2015, this problem was there, they were getting complaints, downloaded the 2016 firmware you have, put it on a USB flash drive and labelled it "Android auto - Black screen fix" and they have used this since and got no complaints as the problem was fixed and 99.9% of their costumers would never be the wiser as to it not being the latest firmware.

I also got some 2016 version on my car at first, even though i had put a note in the car that said "please install latest version, the latest version i know of is December 2017 so please put that on...Or newer if available"

Still they put the 2016 version on, but it was a Friday 1½ hour before closing time and they installed it, but could not finish the update, so i had it that weekend with a chevrolet logo and the screen upside down.

When i gave it back to them as agreed, monday morning, i had put a new note in the car, stating that they had put 2016 firmware on, and that i would not accept anything below December 2017

When i got it back i checked the version, in the parking lot before leaving and it was indeed December 2017 so they must have redownloaded the latest version and put that on their USB stick. It might have taken them a few minutes, but now they will forever have the latest version, ready for use.

Return to “Faults & Technical”