Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Start up noise 1.6cdti

80K views 67 replies 38 participants last post by  Boroboy 
#1 ·
Hi,
We've had our Astra for 2 months now. It's 5 month old & was an ex demonstrator.
Weve noticed a random, intermittent noise on start up occasionally but not always. (It sounded like the starter motor wasn't dis-engaging at the right moment. We returned it to the dealership, & it was in for 16 days in total. It had them baffled too, but was fitted with a new starter motor & was kept in for testing. However on return, after a day or two the noise had returned.
The dealership had emailed a video of the noise to Vauxhall technichans. And we have now been told by both dealership & Vauxhall that the noise is NORMAL!!! And a "characteristic of the diesel model" Not anything mechanical!!!
Has Any one else had any problems??

#3 ·
Mine does it when hot after standing for a bit , it's sounds like timing chain rattle to me , keeping an ear on it , probably be a modified tensioner I expect , have to see how it goes and if it gets worse . Bit annoying if it is but it will be vauxhalls problem not mine

#5 ·
Thank you for your replys, much appreciated. unfortunately for us Vauxhall is still claiming there is nothing mechanically wrong with the car and just a characteristic of the Diesel engine. ( even though the rattle / noise seems totally random & sometimes starts with no noise/ problems)

#6 ·
Mine does this aswell. I think it might be something to do with a slight delay in the oil reaching the top of the engine. Mines seems to do it more if I'm reversed into my driveway which means that the car is facing uphill. This could be a coincidence but if it is oil related then perhaps the angle the car is sitting at on start up makes a difference as to how quickly the oil is picked up.

#8 ·
Yes, that's exactly how we reported it to the dealership in the first instance, They must have thought the same as it was fitted with a new starter motor. However it still does it!! I think the more people who report it to Vauxhall the better. Hopefully then, they might admit there's a problem and look to rectify it. As i certainly don't think it's normal noise/ rattle.

#9 ·
Mine does it whether Ac on or off , been fixing cars for over 30 years and sure it's chain noise fronm a poor tensioner set up , it is random though , the worry is what damage might be happening in there as seen it before on other chain engines , will call service when have time and report it so its documented .

#12 ·
Too mine to the dealer yesterday, after trying it it wouldn't make the noise while there, but did again later , never heard of any issues on them yet, said to wait and if it happens more often or gets worse book it in for an interview depth look at it

#13 ·
i own an Astra j 2015 with the same 1.6cdti 136 engine i also get this strange rattle on start up occasionally. spoke to vauxhall and they want £100 to check the car.

vauxhall should be checking this for free as its under warranty

#15 ·
Our vehicle was in a few times for this problem. Initially fitted with a new starter motor! But It was all carried out on warranty!! I certainly wouldn't be paying for it.
In the end, a field technician from Vauxhall came all the way from Edinburgh to explain to us that the noise was "normal"
Needless to say I'm not convinced when it happens & when people in a car park turn around when they hear it.

#16 ·
Mmm mine { same model } is 500 miles old and is like yours noisy on startup and have been told its normal . Ive had a fair number of old and new diesels etc and none have sounded like this . I thought I was alone on this one . Think Ill get a second opinion . Also had a theft alert turned out Id forgotten to replace the aerial after the car wash . Oh to have a £700 car again .

#18 ·
Vauxhall told me that there was no faults or reports logged on their system. I told them that many people from the this forum have this problem and it's something they need to look into, I'm certainly not willing to pay for something that is a fault on their end not the owners.

#19 ·
Hi Guys, I have been looking around for people with the same engine noise I have which seems to be what you guys all have , I have a Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti 136bhp, and get a rattle when I start this can be when cold or hot. I took it to my dealer who said they could not find anything wrong. I didn't agree with them and so took it back again some time later and complained about this noise again. They then herd the noise and contacted Vauxhall technical it turns out they know about this and have issued a TSB(Technical Service Bulletin). When you contact Vauxhall next time quote this TSB 3168.
They do say that this noise is a feature of this engine and did not want to do anything else in order to stop it, the noise is the timing chain, apparently for what ever reason it is related to oil pickup.
Hope this help you guys out.

Thanks

#20 ·
So if timing chain is rattling at start, it means that there is not enough pressure (oil) in chain tensioner. Not enough tension on chain = stretched chain, damaged chain guides, timing gear failing and so on. Does they really don't see any issue with it? Try to observe if the revs are not starting to fluctuate a bit during same speed cruises (fe on motorway). That would definately mean that chain is going to die soon.

#23 ·
Hello,

I also have the same noise on startup, specially on a cold start.
I thought about the oil level that could be a bit low. Indeed it was, not by much, just a single mark on the "oil stick"(?). Went to the dealer and bought 1l of oil. Topped it up and... voilá, no more noise. Well, at least for the past 3 days...

#26 ·
Its the cam chain tensioner... It takes a few seconds to fill with oil... If left for a while especially after being a hot engine the oil drains out... When you start it up it takes a few seconds to fill and adjust... Nothing unusual here... Mine does it all the time... If after say 10 seconds the chain is still noisey then get it checked as the oil is either too thick or the chain has streached...
eg... listen to a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol corsa or astra... When the chain on them streaches they make a right noise...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.