Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Infotainment - Corrupt & flashing screen

45K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  IntellilinkMods 
#1 ·
Over the last few days my infotainment has been playing up.

when I start the car the screen is corrupt and flashing, although the buttons seems to work.
After what could be a few seconds or many minutes it usually sorts itself out.

has anybody else had this issue?

(66 plate, Astra K, 1.4 150bhp)

#3 ·
In a way it's good see that somebody has had the issue and that it was resolved easily enough. Mine is booked in but because they couldn't provide a courtesy car sooner, it's going to be 10th May. I say courtesy car, but actually they don't have any cars so it's going to be a transit van.

#4 ·
Hi Mate, Just asking about this as my car is currently having the exact same issue and has been going on for a while now. Currently have a 66 Astra SRI nav 1.4t, originally took it to a vauxhall dealer 2 weeks ago who told me it was due to an update on the infotainment system that was causing it too glitch out. Low and behold, they had the car for 4hrs and when I went to collect it after they said they fixed it, it did it again and looked to have not done much to the car bar the recall updates

Did you request the screen to be replaced? Or is it an electrical issue on the car? Got it booked it to go again on 29th April and they don't seem clued up as to what is causing the screen to go haywire so would be handy on what to say is causing the fault, Cheers

Cheers

#5 ·
NathanG1993 said:
Hi Mate, Just asking about this as my car is currently having the exact same issue and has been going on for a while now. Currently have a 66 Astra SRI nav 1.4t, originally took it to a vauxhall dealer 2 weeks ago who told me it was due to an update on the infotainment system that was causing it too glitch out. Low and behold, they had the car for 4hrs and when I went to collect it after they said they fixed it, it did it again and looked to have not done much to the car bar the recall updates

Did you request the screen to be replaced? Or is it an electrical issue on the car? Got it booked it to go again on 29th April and they don't seem clued up as to what is causing the screen to go haywire so would be handy on what to say is causing the fault, Cheers

#6 ·
Hi Nathan,

Sorry I haven't been replied - been away from the site for a while.

Mine is also a 66 Astra SRI nav 1.4t and I'm still waiting for the car to be looked at!!!

I need a courtesy car and the soonest they could give me one is 16th May(!) so I'll have to post an update once they've seen it.

The issue is still present and happens every time I get into the car. Sometimes the screen is completely blank.

As there are at least 3 of us here with the same model and year I wonder whether this is a known issue. That should make it much easier to reach a speedy resolution. I'll certainly be mentioning it to the dealer when the car's dropped off.

I'm surprised they would suggest this is a software issue but then they're only the techs, what do they know? ;)

My guess is it's a hardware issue related to the display driver itself and that's why they should just swap it out straight away.

How did you get on when yours went in on 29th April? Did they fix it?

#7 ·
So I got my car back from the dealer on 16th May and they just replaced the "whole unit" straight away rather than just the screen and it's all working fine now.

I used quotes around "whole unit" because that's what I was told but I'm not quite sure what the guy really meant by that. I expected a system set to factory default settings when I got in the car but it seemed to be configured the same as my previous one. Maybe they did transfer the configuration as well as part of the process, but i'd be very surprised if they do that.

Anyway it was a good result overall.

I expected to have to take the car back at a later date but they must have had the part in stock in order to do it so quickly.

#8 ·
In the service menu of the R4.0 atleast, you can download the radio configuration to a USB stick.

Maybe this was done and then put back on the new HMI as a service.

No matter what, if they changed something and it's working now, you should not complain :)

#9 ·
I'm having the same issue 9 days out of warranty, Vauxhall are not being very helpful I've paid out £85 diagnostic fee to my local dealership who confirmed faulty unit and Vauxhall will only cover 70% costs...... any tips for getting them to cover all the costs?

#11 ·
Hi all,

I don't see original video posted in this thread, but is this issue you are having ?

I have blank white screen. Other day I was able to solve it once I connect my phone through USB.
Then it was ok till next ride.
When it happened again and to connect phone didn't help, I gently knock on the screen and it was solved again, but now nothing helps and new unit cost 1200 EUR.

Radio is working, touch screen is working, but display itself is white like this.
And you can't even turn it off, I mean, you can turn off radio, but display keep being white until you remove keys from ignition.

Thanks for any ideas.

Attachments

#12 ·
Lesim said:
Hi all,

I don't see original video posted in this thread, but is this issue you are having ?

I have blank white screen. Other day I was able to solve it once I connect my phone through USB.
Then it was ok till next ride.
When it happened again and to connect phone didn't help, I gently knock on the screen and it was solved again, but now nothing helps and new unit cost 1200 EUR.

Radio is working, touch screen is working, but display itself is white like this.
And you can't even turn it off, I mean, you can turn off radio, but display keep being white until you remove keys from ignition.

Thanks for any ideas.
Sounds to me like some loose connection inside the display.

Do you know anyone that would be able to take the display apart and check for loose connections or bad solderjoints.

Would be a lot cheaper than 1200 EUR i bet

#13 ·
Unfortunately I don't know anyone, but I will find someone, since I am not willing to pay 1200 EUR just for display.
I am adding few more variations of my display I got today. Last picture I am calling fifty shades of grey.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hello guys wonder if you can help me I own a astra elite nav 1.6 and my screen flickers one side only very faint but easy enough to notice I don't want it to get any worse is there a way I can just reset it or is it the led screen that needs maybe to be looked at thank you all you great astra owners Scott

#15 ·
Scottboiastra1.6 said:
Hello guys wonder if you can help me I own a astra elite nav 1.6 and my screen flickers one side only very faint but easy enough to notice I don't want it to get any worse is there a way I can just reset it or is it the led screen that needs maybe to be looked at thank you all you great astra owners Scott
Seems that there are an above average number og 8" navi screens that fail. Yours is probably one of them.

Maybe it is only a minor problem that could be fixed, but until someone takes one apart and tries it, no one will know and vauxhall will certainly say to you that you need a new screen no matter what.

Only small comfort is that the screen itself, is probably not going to need coding, so if you find a used one, it is probably gonna work "out of the box"

Only problem offcourse, is that this screen will probably also be prone to error.

#16 ·
astraowner said:
Scottboiastra1.6 said:
Seems that there are an above average number og 8" navi screens that fail. Yours is probably one of them.

Maybe it is only a minor problem that could be fixed, but until someone takes one apart and tries it, no one will know and vauxhall will certainly say to you that you need a new screen no matter what.

Only small comfort is that the screen itself, is probably not going to need coding, so if you find a used one, it is probably gonna work "out of the box"

Only problem offcourse, is that this screen will probably also be prone to error.
Thank you for the info what would you recommend I do and yes I won't be going to Vauxhall unless it gets any worse thanks again

#17 ·
Scottboiastra1.6 said:
Thank you for the info what would you recommend I do and yes I won't be going to Vauxhall unless it gets any worse thanks again
If this was to happen to me, i would probably try to source a second hand screen or go with one of the 9" screen Android units.

It seems that these radios will never get android auto wireless, so a good replacement would be to replace the radio with an android unit, and then an app on the phone that would turn on wifi hotspot on the phone, every time it connects to the radio bluetooth.

This way you would be able to stream music, do navigation and whatnot, without having to plug your phone in, using the cable

#18 ·
My car Opel Astra K has 2 years warranty plus 2 years Opel FlexCare premium warranty. The LCD screen broken down- from reliable sources, this is a factory error of many Opel cars. The LCD screen is not covered by the warranty and I have to cover the costs by myself. The cost is very high.
I wonder if anyone has tried it with any electronics engineer and not replaced the entire LCD screen?

#19 ·
We replace both the R4.0 and Navi900 screens daily for a fraction of the cost that the dealers charge. Normally around £150 fully fitted.

Drop us a message on Facebook if you need any help IntellilinkMods

#20 ·
IntellilinkMods said:
We replace both the R4.0 and Navi900 screens daily for a fraction of the cost that the dealers charge. Normally around £150 fully fitted.

Drop us a message on Facebook if you need any help IntellilinkMods
Is this originally the same as it was installed? I come from Slovenia and I am interested in how much is the postage?

#21 ·
Hi,

Ive had issues with my infotainment. screen goes black and then doesn't turn on. Then a few weeks later it will work fine for a few minute before ether same thing. took it to vauxhall who said it was a touch screen issue and didn't test nay electrics, they wanted £800 for a new screen. I then bought second hand eBay one for £80 which my farther in law fitted. Same issue (so couldn't have been the screen). took it back and they said it was a signal issue, I got so annoyed with them I took it to a different vauxhall garage. they have said it was a software issue which was £48, then when that didn't work they said it was control module unit needs replacing due to not receiving power but the screen is they want £220 for that but still cant guarantee this will work so I will keep you updated! This is a common issue with vauxhall atlas, mine is a 66 plate too so its no coincidence but vauxhall are accepting no responsibility for it.

#22 ·
Hi, I have a 66 astra 1.6cdti sri with exactly the same issue, started about 2 months or so ago. It seemed to start at around the same time as I had an alarm to show tyre pressure warning, but I have checked that out, all tyre pressures ok, problem disappeared then came back, I deflated all tyres then reset to correct pressures, alarm went then came back so i played about with different settings via dash, hey presto it cleared alarm for a few weeks, sadly came back yesterday so i will check out tyre pressures with gauge, As for the corrupt screen issue this is very intermittent varying from staying intermittent for 2 minutes to 6 minutes or so when it returns to a stable screen i notice its in night mode and although touch screen works i cannot switch the display mode to day mode but eventually it may revert back to day by itself ! Now recently Ive pressed the on star call button overhead near the rear view mirror tried to make a call but obviously as the system is closed now nothing happens but after i had pressed the button and closed the call the display started behaving itself and not once in 4 or 5 days did it play up so thinking it was fixed i was about to post my findings here and to my horror it returned,,,just a coincidence Im not sure but just to ask a question as there are a few out there with the same issue has anyone really cracked it, Im not convinced its the display itself, I'm at the point of removing the unit to have a good look at it, just maybe, a big maybe its an issue with the display unit but Im thinking a software issue, but will update as soon as I have an outcome

#23 ·
Out of curiosity I looked into the cost of replacing the radio.
Connects2.com do a kit (new facia + leads) for £200.
May also need a dab apapter so allow another £50 for any other bits needed. It has the can-bus box for the steering wheel controls and other bits displayed on the screen. So lets say £250.
Double DIN radios vary from £100 for DAB-less to £600 - £1000 for the full monty scatynav will all the bells and whistles. Kits available on Ebay.
A DIY repair is therefore somewhat cheaper.
I personally would go for an Android Auto Alpine/Kenwood/Sony rather than the China Android radios.
So around £500/£600 would get a good radio, £300 a fix with a cheaper radio.
Come sale time I would leave the facia kit in and the radio would be negotiable.
:)

#24 ·
ok thanks for information, apart from not being able to afford these amounts Im pretty gutted that Ive had the car just about a year then the tyre pressure alarm came up then the corrupt screen, Car is on a pcp so its not mine would like to get it repaired for obvious reasons, and Im pretty sure its not the display unit itself, and until maybe someone can verify that 100% then I will attempt to find a cause. In my view and of course its just my experience of past occupations, electronic bits fail just about straight away due to either a component failing or gradually failing due to heating up or being disturbed on a circuit board by shock etc, or loose connection(s) or in this case where there are obviously a number of displays exhibiting the same issues could be a manufacturers fault, or just a software issue, Im favouring the latter, but am very soon going to attack this one just as soon as the temperature increases a bit here in Suffolk!

#25 ·
Hi lads. So I have just replaced the LCD screen, leaving the digitizer original.
Original Navi unit developed the issue of half of the screen flickering. Few weeks later it went completely black, but everything else still worked fine (music, buttons etc).
After replacing the LCD screen LQ080Y5DZ10 for new one from Ali, the unit came back to life with exactly the same issue.
Flickering half of the screen all day long, stabilizing after a minute or so (warming up?).
Right now the flickering is just slightly visible (better on night mode) and indicates there is another fault somewhere else and that this replacement display will go black too.
Just a heads up to anyone trying to spend 80+ on new LCD, expect it to fail too.
I can see others reporting that it has worked when replacing screen, but I also see people reporting that it didn't work (me for example).
Gutted.

#26 ·
Spawned said:
Hi lads. So I have just replaced the LCD screen, leaving the digitizer original.
Original Navi unit developed the issue of half of the screen flickering. Few weeks later it went completely black, but everything else still worked fine (music, buttons etc).
After replacing the LCD screen LQ080Y5DZ10 for new one from Ali, the unit came back to life with exactly the same issue.
Flickering half of the screen all day long, stabilizing after a minute or so (warming up?).
Right now the flickering is just slightly visible (better on night mode) and indicates there is another fault somewhere else and that this replacement display will go black too.
Just a heads up to anyone trying to spend 80+ on new LCD, expect it to fail too.
I can see others reporting that it has worked when replacing screen, but I also see people reporting that it didn't work (me for example).
Gutted.
The fault is with the screen, those units you're buying on AliExpress are surplus MY16-17 GM stock, and 9/10 times second hand with a bad screen protector stuck on the top.

When GM internally identified a fault with the Sharp LCD panels they moved the supplier to LG. We have a contract with LG and can purchase the LCD panels direct for replacement.

Check our Facebook page we replace them almost daily.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.