1.6cdti (136), timing chain/tensioner issues?

The place to discuss everything else..
Boroboy

1.6cdti (136), timing chain/tensioner issues?

Post by Boroboy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Who's had any problems and has anyone had the chain and tensioner replaced under vaux warranty?
I own a 2016 plate with 27k on the clock. Still have 4 months manufacturers warranty remaining.
During the previous year of ownership my car has been A1, no noise during start up or when running.
Over the last two weeks, I've experienced some intermittent starting noise, which I believe to be camchain/tensioner noise during the first few seconds from start up. It's very obvious when it happens, as I can hear it from sitting in my car. At the moment it's very intermittent, only during start up (warm or cold). Obviously early stages for me.
So at the moment not sure which way to go with it, as no doubt the dealership will just say it's a characteristic of this engines normal running, which in my opinion it's obviously not. I may see if I can record the noise, which would help any potential warranty claim.

Rob14
Astra Model: SRI, 1.6 CDTI (136), 2016 plate
Astra Colour: Grey

Re: 1.6cdti (136), timing chain/tensioner issues?

Post by Rob14 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 am

I took my car in and they said it's normal for the engine. From what I've read on here it happens to most vauxhall diesel engines.

It's to do with the oil draining away from the chain and then recirculating back again on start up. Hence the noise as it takes the few seconds for the oil to circulate around the engine.

That was what was explained to me.
SRI, 1.6CDTI, 136bhp, 2016 plate, Manual, Grey,

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:26 am

Rob14 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 am
I took my car in and they said it's normal for the engine. From what I've read on here it happens to most vauxhall diesel engines.

It's to do with the oil draining away from the chain and then recirculating back again on start up. Hence the noise as it takes the few seconds for the oil to circulate around the engine.

That was what was explained to me.
Rob,
Thanks for your reply.
I do not consider the noise to be normal due to the fact it didn't occur at anytime with mine over the previous year of ownership, until around 2 weeks ago. I doubt the noise/issue with any of these engines would get ant better as the mileage increases. Probably partly to do with the poor design of tensioner and the fact the camchain is single link, not a duplex type. Which seems to be more robust, less prone to stretching.
There's always been some noise at the point of start up with my engine (obviously), but no where near close to the intermittent sound I've recently experienced.
You've experienced a typical Vauxhall dealer response.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:31 am

Boroboy wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:26 am
What they are really saying is "This is a problem that will only need attention after the warranty expires and you have to pay for it yourself, so we just brush you off until then"
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:05 pm

astraowner wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:31 am
Boroboy wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:26 am
What they are really saying is "This is a problem that will only need attention after the warranty expires and you have to pay for it yourself, so we just brush you off until then"
I wouldn't argue with that... :lol:

spanner
Astra Model: Elite Nav
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by spanner » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 am

Ive had the start up rattle since I bought the car. Initially it was intermittent but as of late its there more often than not. I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought it in for the first part of the recent brake recall and he had heard it was "an issue" and he would contact Vauxhall.
When he got back to me he said that Vauxhall are aware of and there was "a hold" on releasing a fix for it. Interestingly, when I spoke with him at the second stage of the recall he said that he had been in contact with Vauxhall and there IS a fix on the way. He advised me to contact him in 3 months time.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm

spanner wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 am
Ive had the start up rattle since I bought the car. Initially it was intermittent but as of late its there more often than not. I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought it in for the first part of the recent brake recall and he had heard it was "an issue" and he would contact Vauxhall.
When he got back to me he said that Vauxhall are aware of and there was "a hold" on releasing a fix for it. Interestingly, when I spoke with him at the second stage of the recall he said that he had been in contact with Vauxhall and there IS a fix on the way. He advised me to contact him in 3 months time.
I wonder if there at some point will be a recall for the tensioner and chain guide as well.

I bet that it will not look good on their reputation if engines with sub 60.000 miles on them begin "exploding" to a point where a new engine is needed to fix the car.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:59 pm
spanner wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:47 am
I wonder if there at some point will be a recall for the tensioner and chain guide as well.
I doubt it whilst under warranty, too expensive. As it's a drop the engine out job. That's down to poor design also. As long as most these engines make it past 3 years or 60k, all I imagine vaux would be bothered about. Although I hope I'm wrong.

astraowner

Post by astraowner » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:28 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 pm
I doubt it whilst under warranty, too expensive. As it's a drop the engine out job. That's down to poor design also. As long as most these engines make it past 3 years or 60k, all I imagine vaux would be bothered about. Although I hope I'm wrong.
My thoughts exactly.

I have read that it is an engine out operation to change the camchain, but do they also need to take the engine out only to replace the tensioner and guide ? This is the question that i have never been able to get a clear answer to.

If they only change those 2 parts, that seem to be the problem, without doing the chain and complete chain guide gallery, is it still needed to take the engine out or can it be done in situ.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:11 pm

astraowner wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:28 pm
Boroboy wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:32 pm
My thoughts exactly.

I have read that it is an engine out operation to change the camchain, but do they also need to take the engine out only to replace the tensioner and guide ? This is the question that i have never been able to get a clear answer to.

If they only change those 2 parts, that seem to be the problem, without doing the chain and complete chain guide gallery, is it still needed to take the engine out or can it be done in situ.
How do you know the chain hasn't stretched either though?