Steering lock problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Redman
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 pm
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Steering lock problem

Post by Redman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 pm

Hi All
Once I have removed my keys from the ignition the steering lock on my car seems to miss/click past a few times before it actually engages. Has anyone else had similar.


M1chaelR

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by M1chaelR » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm

I've had similar but if you leave it a couple of seconds before trying to engage then it shouldn't miss.


Redman
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 pm
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by Redman » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 pm

M1chaelR wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:03 pm
I've had similar but if you leave it a couple of seconds before trying to engage then it shouldn't miss.
Thanks for the reply
It never used to do it and I've owned it since new 2,5 years ago. I will give what you say a try


M1chaelR

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by M1chaelR » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:01 pm

No problem, hope it works!


astraowner
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by astraowner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:10 am

Is there a good reason for engaging the steering wheel lock ?

I usually just stop the car, turn off the engine, get out and lock the door.

I find that if it is engaged because i had it in the right angle for the pin to engage, i have to wiggle the steering wheel to disengage it
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.


Redman
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 pm
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by Redman » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 am

Fair point but it has started to annoy my wife as well as me, as we both drive the car. I just also like things working as they should


Boroboy
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by Boroboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am

No issues at all with mine.
Most cars have some quirks we have to put up with. Mine being my emergency brake assist, have to turn it off from the wheel during every ignition cycle, don't have the setting options to turn it off from. As with the newer K's.... :lol: Would love vaux to bring a software update out to enable this function from the settings screen. So far they're not playing ball.


astraowner
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by astraowner » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am
No issues at all with mine.
Most cars have some quirks we have to put up with. Mine being my emergency brake assist, have to turn it off from the wheel during every ignition cycle, don't have the setting options to turn it off from. As with the newer K's.... :lol: Would love vaux to bring a software update out to enable this function from the settings screen. So far they're not playing ball.
This must be a "we wont" as there should be absolutely NO reason that they COULD NOT.

I bet it's 100% pure software and updating the relevant modules (Radio etc) would make them able to enable the feature.

Maybe they won't because they fear that they will be swamped with costumers demanding this upgrade.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.


Boroboy
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by Boroboy » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 pm

astraowner wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:30 pm
Boroboy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am
No issues at all with mine.
Most cars have some quirks we have to put up with. Mine being my emergency brake assist, have to turn it off from the wheel during every ignition cycle, don't have the setting options to turn it off from. As with the newer K's.... :lol: Would love vaux to bring a software update out to enable this function from the settings screen. So far they're not playing ball.
This must be a "we wont" as there should be absolutely NO reason that they COULD NOT.

I bet it's 100% pure software and updating the relevant modules (Radio etc) would make them able to enable the feature.

Maybe they won't because they fear that they will be swamped with costumers demanding this upgrade.
Exactly. I did get a reply from the Tec department, after contacting vaux customer services and ringing 3 dealerships about it. Basically said as it wasn't a factory option on my car, they can't/won't change it or authorise an update to the dealer to enable them to do so. I tried arguing until I was blue in the face, regarding safety implications of a faulty self braking system. To no avail. I just turn it off now. Can live with that.


astraowner
Posts: 1001
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:54 am
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Steering lock problem

Post by astraowner » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:40 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:04 pm
Exactly. I did get a reply from the Tec department, after contacting vaux customer services and ringing 3 dealerships about it. Basically said as it wasn't a factory option on my car, they can't/won't change it or authorise an update to the dealer to enable them to do so. I tried arguing until I was blue in the face, regarding safety implications of a faulty self braking system. To no avail. I just turn it off now. Can live with that.
This is exactly the reason why they should not be allowed to lock down their cars with VCI codes with encryption that only they can give you.

I REALLY hope some day, someone cracks this whole VCI part and releases a tool so that independent garages can service these cars also.

There is SO much nowadays that is pure software. It's nearly impossible to do anything on your own.

If your radio stops working, you can not buy a second hand one from a scrapper and fit it. Nooo, it will need to go to vauxhall for coding. Atleast on older vauxhall's you would get the access code to do these things yourself.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.


Post Reply

Return to “Faults & Technical”