Poor Headlights

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Poor Headlights

Post by astraowner » Wed May 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Callum15920 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:32 pm
I can't upload my photos of the before and after but as soon as I finish work I'll drop a link to my dropbox, my next upgraded regarding bulbs will be definitely the interior bulbs on the sun visors and roof lights after that will be my number plate lights, I do have a led strip for my boot for braking and indicating 😛 will be uploading how that turns out soon .
Is the number plate light not already LED ?

Just guessing, based on the white color of the light on my 2016 ST
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Callum15920
Astra Model: 1.4 Turbo Elite 150Bhp
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Callum15920 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Unfortunately not 🤔 it's just a standard halogen bulb

damas7

Post by damas7 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm

Light through projectors should use xenon bulbs as it is used on Astra J.
I put my Opel Astra K with xenon 35W 6000K beside an Astra J with factory xenon and it is just the same.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Thu May 16, 2019 5:59 am

damas7 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm
I put my Opel Astra K with xenon 35W 6000K beside an Astra J with factory xenon and it is just the same.
Don't you have rules regarding automatic headlamp levelling and lamp washers ?

I know we do, and if you dont have this and go over a small bump and there is a police car passing you and they see it, they will stop you, ticket you and send you for a MOT.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

pepe

Post by pepe » Thu May 16, 2019 6:53 am

damas7 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm
Perhaps the light output is equal, other than that its very much different. The diameter of the projector is different, resulting in a different light spread. The lack of headlamp washers creates too much glare when covered in dirt. The lack of self leveling blinds oncoming traffic when going over bumps or even when carrying people or a small load. Most of all the diffferent cutoff line (the K had a thick meaning it shines high into the shoulder/pedestrians where the J has a flat line with a small incline typical to xenons.

damas7

Post by damas7 » Thu May 16, 2019 7:53 am

Look the Opel Corsa cdti 1.3 90HP INNOVATION.
This model has xenon DS1 and has NO WASHERS AND SELF LEVELING FROM FACTORY!
And there are other cars with the same. There are a change in the law in EU about xenon. I think you should investigate.

pepe

Post by pepe » Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 am

Thats because they are lower power xenons. Im not 100% sure but I think 2000 lumens and over are still required washers and self leveling.

damas7

Post by damas7 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:00 pm

pepe wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 am
Thats because they are lower power xenons. Im not 100% sure but I think 2000 lumens and over are still required washers and self leveling.
The Opel Corsa DO NOT HAVE SELF LEVELING!
And the bulb it is DS1 35W. It has 25W output the same as the Opel Astra K with xenon!
About the glare, the light you do not look the difference.
About the police, they don't look to my Astra xenon lights, they look the lights from the new Mercedes that blind everyone, some Mini that have some very stupid lights, some BMW.
This cars are very danger to others in the road.
By other hand, drive with clever light it is better and secure to everyone.
To finish I hope do not need to write anything more, I hope that halogen bulbs be out of use in cars!

pepe

Post by pepe » Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Alright mate, might be worth mentioning what country you are from, since regulations are not the same in all countries.

damas7

Post by damas7 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:58 am

I am from Portugal but that new Mercedes, Minis and BMW, have the same very glare light in all countries.
Inspectors from Portuguese MOT say when they start to measure the lumens of that Mercedes, Minis and BMW will be surprises about homologations!

Return to “Faults & Technical”