Post by BigToe555 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:35 pm

Has anyone successfully upgraded their dipped beams without showing a fault

Alanw
Astra Model: Sports tourer 1.6t
Astra Options: Ergonomic seats,mudflaps,spare wheel
Astra Colour: Power red

Re: Poor Headlights

Post by Alanw » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:22 pm

You could just fit better bulbs,I found Philips racing vision bulbs along with raising the lights to the correct height helped to improve the poor lights.there is plenty of choice in upgraded bulbs on eBay.
Power red 1.6t 200 sri nav. sports tourer, agr seats, spare wheel,mudflaps.

BigToe555

Post by BigToe555 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Did you think the same as me that the factory lamps are pants, is because they are projector lamps?

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:32 pm

BigToe555 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:00 pm
Did you think the same as me that the factory lamps are pants, is because they are projector lamps?
I dont know for sure that the bulbs inside the lamps in my used Astra K are the factory fitted ones, but if they are, i can tell you that they are philips longlife bulbs that, in a test i read, got a mediocre score of 68. Philips Xtremevision bulbs got 117 points in the same test and was test winner.

I bet a lot is gained, just by putting in brighter bulbs and adjusting the bulbs to the correct height.

Being a tight git, i am goint to live with the poor light of the longlife bulbs, but when they blow, i am certainly going to replace them with something else.

Hopefully the EU will change the rules and allow LED bulbs for retrofitting into existing projector lamps, as far as i have read, they are a massive improvement over halogen bulbs.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

BigToe555

Post by BigToe555 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm

I wouldn’t worry about EU regulations if putting LED’s in the projector lamps gave a better, safer light without showing dash errors. I tried LED’s in the rear number plate lamps, they looked great but ‘error on the dash’

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:33 pm

I get the number plate error every time but a quick press of the button and its gone.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

danh23
Astra Model: Sri cdti
Astra Colour: Metallic mineral black

Post by danh23 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 5:23 am

I got some leds for front headlights and errors came up so I stuck old bulbs back in
1.6 CDTI Astra SRI metallic mineral black (110hp)

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:09 am

BigToe555 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:38 pm
I wouldn’t worry about EU regulations if putting LED’s in the projector lamps gave a better, safer light without showing dash errors. I tried LED’s in the rear number plate lamps, they looked great but ‘error on the dash’
In my country, fitting anything not approved with better light would be noticed straight away by the police as this is one of their focus points, you would be pulled over, get a fine and be asked to take the car for a MOT to show you legalised the car.

Seems that Philips is pushing really hard for approval of LED lamps for headlight replacement for existing cars with their ultinon series, but unless the EU changes the laws, lawabiding citicens will have to keep using the Halogen bulbs.

If EU some day approves LED's, i guess that it would not be that difficult for Vauxhall to reprogram the car to accept these.

They should just add a setting in the infotainment system to enable "LED's installed" and have this feature disable the "bulb is blown" testing on the headlamps.

It seems strange that the same EU people that decided that the rear lamps on my car can be off in the day to save power and thus minimize emissions would find it a good solution for saving 2*5W, but not find that it was a great idea to be allowed to retrofit for example Philips Ultinon's that draw 14W instead of a 55 W halogen.

Saving 2*41W = 82W is 8 times more than the rear bulbs would.

With 28W total, and "infinite" running hours between changing, it would be possible to just make everyone run their dipped beams all the time again, which would make cars much more visible than with the tiny LED DRL of todays cars.

PS. Philips Ultinon's will not fit the low beam on the Astra K and in any case they will need balast resistors to avoid bulb warning.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Ace123
Astra Model: SRi
Astra Options: Naff all
Astra Colour: Deep Sky blue

Post by Ace123 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:21 am

Halogen lights on the Astra are ghastly. I’ve swapped mine out for Osram night breaker H7’s and adjusted the height of the dipped beam up as I felt it was set far too low.
Astra SRi 1.6 CDTi. No bells, no whistles.

mrcrangle

Post by mrcrangle » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:42 am

Same here, swapped out the stock bulbs for some brighter, whiter ones that match the white LEDs of the running lights. Got the warning nag with the ones I fitted from Halfords, but when one blew I had my local (independent) garage replace them both for a different variety and the nag has disappeared.

The original bulbs were shockers...surely it's pennies for VX to fit better ones in the factory?
Grey Astra K 1.6 Elite diesel (136hp) 18" alloys, ergonomic seats

Return to “Faults & Technical”