Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Vauxhall Astra k 1.6cdti loud rattle

96K views 208 replies 39 participants last post by  ionutz72 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

Please bear with me as this has probably been asked many times but I don't no how to use these forums very well. Basically I have an Astra 2016 it's a 1.6cdti and if I start it on a morning it's quite but if I pop to the shop which will be 20 mins drive stop it do my shopping come back and re start it's making this terrible rattle. It sounds almost like timing chain it soon goes and is quite after. Has anybody else experienced this ? Should I be taking it back to the dealer.

Thanks
Tom

#2 ·
Hello, a few people have asked this about their diesel engines, myself included.

The technician said to me was that this is a normal characteristic of the diesel engines, as it takes a few seconds for oil pressure to build up when starting.

This seems to be a similar response others have got too when asking about this. It seems that it is normal.

#3 ·
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. How strange surely if it's getting starved if oil for a moment on starting it won't be doing it any favours. I have it booked in to my local dealership just to check how ever they have said already they have had a phew in with the same symptoms and spoke to Vauxhall and apparently it's normal.

Thanks
Tom

#4 ·
Yeah, I know what you mean. But also makes sense that there is no or little pressure initially on start up. Let us know the response you get, although it seems likely already they will say it's fine.

Regards,
Rob

#5 ·
Sounds like the cam chain and tensioner to me. I have the same engine and year as yourself. Mine has never been noisy at startup under any conditions. No doubt you already know what the dealerships reaction would be.
This is the quietest diesel I've ever owned, hence "the whisper engine". Certainly is compared to my previous J 2.0cdti..... :lol:
If I were you I'd try and rec some footage of the noise and show it to the dealership. If it's normal. Why does it not happen all the time then? I had a camchain and tension changed by a pug dealership on an petrol rcz for similar reasons, was done under warranty for free. I rec the noise and took it with me to the dealership. Explained this was a common known fault with this engine.

#6 ·
Yeah I'm gonna do a video before I go
Yeah it's funnny its not doing it all time. However Vauxhall have said there is a tsb 3168. Which explains a metallic rattle on startup which is "filling of the oil circuit" it would seem after reading on internet alot of people on the internet with the 1.6 cdti have this issue and most have been fobbed of by dealers who just refer to this tsb 3168 and that's the end of it. I'll see how I get on Monday.
Tom

#7 ·
Hi from Portugal...
I'm a proud user of Astra. It's my 6 opel and 4 Astra...
My Astra J 1.6 Cdti, it's doing the noise that everybody talk in web. In the start theres a metallic noise from the time chain. The car has 80000 kms and is doing that noise since 70000 kms. Opel in Portugal says that this noise is normal. They said today if I change the time chain kit, everything will be the same. Some mechanics told me that the problem can be resolved with other kind of tensor. Because the origin tensor lose the tension after the engine stop. The opel tensor is not the solution. But, I would like to now if there's anybody changed the kit with no opel brand. Did anybody fix the problem? How? What opel said about this?

#8 ·
Vauhalldisastra said:
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. How strange surely if it's getting starved if oil for a moment on starting it won't be doing it any favours. I have it booked in to my local dealership just to check how ever they have said already they have had a phew in with the same symptoms and spoke to Vauxhall and apparently it's normal.

Thanks
Tom
Sounds like Vauxhall don't want to admit there's a tensioner fault, probably down to cost of rectifying it through recall or repair.

#10 ·
My 2016 has done 22000 miles and it does this also.

Terrible rattle for ½-1 second at startup.

Also has a strange "weeeeeuw" sound when i rev the engine. Easiest to hear with the car in neutral. (Not like a worn out bearing as such, which would be premature at only 22000 miles)

Will have to ask Vauxhall to listen to it and give me a hint as to whether it is bad or normal and if it's not i will take it to the dealer that sold it, they gave me a 1 year warranty on engine, auxiliary engine components and gearbox and if its something that needs fixing, i would rather have it done now, where i have only done about 1000 miles in it.

#12 ·
Rob14 said:
My car is 2016, done 45,000 miles. I wonder if there is a long term effect? Seems normal from everyone. Let us know if you have a different response.
I don't think it's normal for every engine, not for mine. Unless I'm one of the lucky ones. Although it's only covered 26k up to now. As yet I've not heard any loud rattles from it. As long as your car is still under warranty, any related damage would be covered. If it were to jump a tooth then this could cause damage to the engine.

#13 ·
Vauhalldisastra said:
Hi
There gonna have to fix it I'm not accepting it's characteristics of an engine as millions and thousands of engines have been made and I've never heared a timing chain rattle on start up well I have but it's been shagged .
Having the issue rec should help with your claim. Did so with my previous rcz cam chain rattle under similar conditions. Also it's a recognised problem with this engine (1.6thp).

#14 ·
Yeah I've got a video of it. I'll let you no what they say on Monday. To be honest if they say it's normal im going to ask for a headed letter with it in writing stating it's normal. Hopefully then if it turns out not to be I'll have more of a chance of arguing if no letter is given I'll have to take it further and contact Vauxhall.. Biggest issue I have is mine runs out of warranty in April

#17 ·
Vauhalldisastra said:
Yeah I've got a video of it. I'll let you no what they say on Monday. To be honest if they say it's normal im going to ask for a headed letter with it in writing stating it's normal. Hopefully then if it turns out not to be I'll have more of a chance of arguing if no letter is given I'll have to take it further and contact Vauxhall.. Biggest issue I have is mine runs out of warranty in April
You could always go for vaux extended warranty, mines of of warranty in June. If I keep it, I'll be extending their warranty. Driving an auto, the whole box would be covered too.

#18 ·
Vauhalldisastra said:
Hi
That should be ok then. You say yours does it Rob14? How many miles has yours done it ? Has it got worse?

Tom
I've done 45,000 miles. It hasn't got worse. When I start the car it sometimes makes a rattle for a second, then stops. I'm personally not too worried about it, I've done a lot of searching about it online and trust what the technician says as I'm an engineer myself. It does seem it's related to oil pressure. I've also read a few other posts on this forum about it.

Regards,
Rob

#19 ·
Rob14 said:
Vauhalldisastra said:
Hi
That should be ok then. You say yours does it Rob14? How many miles has yours done it ? Has it got worse?

Tom
I've done 45,000 miles. It hasn't got worse. When I start the car it sometimes makes a rattle for a second, then stops. I'm personally not too worried about it, I've done a lot of searching about it online and trust what the technician says as I'm an engineer myself. It does seem it's related to oil pressure. I've also read a few other posts on this forum about it.

Regards,
Rob
Rob,
Have you had the noise since owning the car or is it something that has developed over time?
I've never experienced as yet any underlining noises or rattles, even from cold. Covered nearly 26k now.
Although normally speaking noises and rattles from a diesel engine is not uncommon, especially when coming from a J 2.0cdti. Think I've become accustomed to a quiet diesel now.

#21 ·
My car was an ex demo car, it had done 14,000 miles when I got it (now 45,000). Since I've had it (approaching 2 years) I think it has done it. I remember hearing it and not paying much attention to it until I read about it in this forum. That's when I paid more attention to it. As we've said it's intermittent. Mine doesn't necessarily do it when it's cold. It's random when the noise occurs.

#22 ·
Rob14 said:
My car was an ex demo car, it had done 14,000 miles when I got it (now 45,000). Since I've had it (approaching 2 years) I think it has done it. I remember hearing it and not paying much attention to it until I read about it in this forum. That's when I paid more attention to it. As we've said it's intermittent. Mine doesn't necessarily do it when it's cold. It's random when the noise occurs.
Mine was an ex demo car too, bought it June last year with 18k on the clock I think. I've not heard any unusual sounds from the engine, not that I've listened too hard. I am however impressed by the fuel economy, compared to the previous 2.0cdti.
When the camchain & tensioner was changed on the RCZ at two years old it had covered 25k. Sounded intermittently like a bag of hammers. Gradually the noise become more progressive from around 18k onwards. Would rattle at any time, mainly from a start up, whether hot or cold. This is a known issue with this engine which is also fitted to Peugeots, BMW's & Mini's. The new chain did stop it, although you could still hear the chain at times, which is not unnormal. No where near as loud though.
If the noise is not becoming worse, then I'd also say it's probably nothing to worry about.
Does yours use any oil? Mine uses around 1 litre, per 10k covered. Same amount from when I bought it. My previous 2.0cdti used no noticeable oil between changes, that covered 60k when I part ex'd for my current K. Probably a good idea not to run the oil level low on these engines, having a camchain. Not that I ever have.
I wonder if it may be worth using Magnatec 5w 30, dexos 2, when the cars out of warranty? May help to keep the oil at the top of the engine for longer, from a cold start. A bit more expensive than GM oil though.
Cheers.

#23 ·
Oh interesting. Yeah the sound on mine is only on start up and hasn't changed.

I haven't noticed mine using any oil. Before, I had an Astra H 1.4 petrol and that used a lot of oil, it may of had a small leak. This car uses next to nothing from what I've observed.

Magnatec would be a good oil to use according to it's claims. I may also use it in future. Halfords usually have offers on Castrol.

What mpg do you get? In the summer I was getting 70 to 75 mpg (trip computer) and 700+ miles out of a tank. Since then and now with the cooler weather I'm getting 60 mpg and around 600 miles from a tank.

#25 ·
I mostly motorway driving and A roads. My journeys are long as well. I use stop start in town driving when at traffic lights etc (I've read people turn this off) .

Have a look in your air filter box, I did a few weeks ago, found leaves and all sorts in there. Worth a hoover in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.