Vauxhall Astra k 1.6cdti loud rattle

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Fokky

Re: Vauxhall Astra k 1.6cdti loud rattle

Post by Fokky » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 pm

That chain looks really weak, petrol ones are much thicker and have more segments.. Who makes the chain for 1.6CDTI, Schaeffler group?

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 pm

AutoRepairsLpool wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 pm
Hi I did two of these jobs over the xmas for a local cab firm that has a fleet of them, the noise is down to the plastic guides failing/breaking up and dropping into the sump leaving the chain running along bare metal I’ve attacted pics showing the problem. For anyone just out of warranty the labour to remove the engine and replace both chains and tensioners is 14 hours. The mileage’s were 90,000 and 114,000 in the two I replaced. It’s shocking how low some of the mileage’s are that they’re failing on.
Interesting.
So is there two chains to replace & how much for the whole job including supply and fit? If anyone was to do an oil change would they find the remnants of the plastic guides within the old oil? From what you are saying, sounds like a design fault.

AutoRepairsLpool

Post by AutoRepairsLpool » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:09 pm

The second chain drives the oil pump, as for the plastic guides they were fairly large pieces so may not come out in the oil but was told by the cab firm owner one of the others that failed had went to another garage to be repaired and the plastic guide was chewed to pieces and caused the oil pump to fail. I charged £850 labour the customer supplied all his own parts from Vauxhall’s was told the cost was around £600. A clutch and dual mass flywheel was fitted at the same time I’m not sure if he included that in the price.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:13 pm

AutoRepairsLpool wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:09 pm
The second chain drives the oil pump, as for the plastic guides they were fairly large pieces so may not come out in the oil but was told by the cab firm owner one of the others that failed had went to another garage to be repaired and the plastic guide was chewed to pieces and caused the oil pump to fail. I charged £850 labour the customer supplied all his own parts from Vauxhall’s was told the cost was around £600. A clutch and dual mass flywheel was fitted at the same time I’m not sure if he included that in the price.
Thanks for posting the info.

AutoRepairsLpool

Post by AutoRepairsLpool » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi because this was my first post on this forum (or any forum) it’s not allowing me to reply to any inbox messages but to everyone asking feel free to copy and paste it elsewhere if it helps anyone. I struggled to find any info online before doing my first one regarding labour times and timing tools etc.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:51 pm

AutoRepairsLpool wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 pm
Hi because this was my first post on this forum (or any forum) it’s not allowing me to reply to any inbox messages but to everyone asking feel free to copy and paste it elsewhere if it helps anyone. I struggled to find any info online before doing my first one regarding labour times and timing tools etc.
Great cheers.
I wonder if these issues may have been caused by low oil levels? As a lot of these engines tend to use a little oil. Which I always make sure mine is topped up to the correct dipstick level.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Wow, if it takes this long to do this job, i fully understand why vauxhall would deny any of these claims.

Will certainly take this up with the insurance company that my used car had a 1 year warranty with.

Will probably wait a month or 2 and claim the noises just started, to avoid them saying that this is an existing fault that they will not cover then :)
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:45 pm

astraowner wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:38 pm
Wow, if it takes this long to do this job, i fully understand why vauxhall would deny any of these claims.

Will certainly take this up with the insurance company that my used car had a 1 year warranty with.

Will probably wait a month or 2 and claim the noises just started, to avoid them saying that this is an existing fault that they will not cover then :)
I'd have thought if the guide had worn off or broke the noise would be permanent. An intermittent noise may be due to a tensioner issue, which I doubt Vaux would do anything about.

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:49 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:45 pm
I'd have thought if the guide had worn off or broke the noise would be permanent. An intermittent noise may be due to a tensioner issue, which I doubt Vaux would do anything about.
I bet they will tro to squirm the way out of it in any case.

Just strange what the chain is then hitting, if all the plastic is stille intact.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Odorian

Post by Odorian » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi.If anyone can listen this link.
https://youtu.be/JdNadfrdCQ8
Guys from Opel saying that is normal sound of engine.But i don't think so.54000km it sound like this even when is worm.

Return to “Faults & Technical”