Vauxhall Astra k 1.6cdti loud rattle

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Vauhalldisastra

Vauxhall Astra k 1.6cdti loud rattle

Post by Vauhalldisastra » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:24 am

Hi Guys

Please bear with me as this has probably been asked many times but I don't no how to use these forums very well. Basically I have an Astra 2016 it's a 1.6cdti and if I start it on a morning it's quite but if I pop to the shop which will be 20 mins drive stop it do my shopping come back and re start it's making this terrible rattle. It sounds almost like timing chain it soon goes and is quite after. Has anybody else experienced this ? Should I be taking it back to the dealer.

Thanks
Tom
Astra sri 1.6cdti Granite Gray 2016

Rob14
Astra Model: SRI, 1.6 CDTI (136), 2016 plate
Astra Colour: Grey

Re: Vauxhall Astra k 1.6cdti loud rattle

Post by Rob14 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:43 am

Hello, a few people have asked this about their diesel engines, myself included.

The technician said to me was that this is a normal characteristic of the diesel engines, as it takes a few seconds for oil pressure to build up when starting.

This seems to be a similar response others have got too when asking about this. It seems that it is normal.
SRI, 1.6CDTI, 136bhp, 2016 plate, Manual, Grey,

Vauhalldisastra

Post by Vauhalldisastra » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 am

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. How strange surely if it's getting starved if oil for a moment on starting it won't be doing it any favours. I have it booked in to my local dealership just to check how ever they have said already they have had a phew in with the same symptoms and spoke to Vauxhall and apparently it's normal.

Thanks
Tom

Rob14
Astra Model: SRI, 1.6 CDTI (136), 2016 plate
Astra Colour: Grey

Post by Rob14 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:21 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. But also makes sense that there is no or little pressure initially on start up. Let us know the response you get, although it seems likely already they will say it's fine.

Regards,
Rob
SRI, 1.6CDTI, 136bhp, 2016 plate, Manual, Grey,

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Boroboy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:21 pm

Sounds like the cam chain and tensioner to me. I have the same engine and year as yourself. Mine has never been noisy at startup under any conditions. No doubt you already know what the dealerships reaction would be.
This is the quietest diesel I've ever owned, hence "the whisper engine". Certainly is compared to my previous J 2.0cdti..... :lol:
If I were you I'd try and rec some footage of the noise and show it to the dealership. If it's normal. Why does it not happen all the time then? I had a camchain and tension changed by a pug dealership on an petrol rcz for similar reasons, was done under warranty for free. I rec the noise and took it with me to the dealership. Explained this was a common known fault with this engine.
Astra 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO

Vauhalldisastra

Post by Vauhalldisastra » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:21 pm

Yeah I'm gonna do a video before I go
Yeah it's funnny its not doing it all time. However Vauxhall have said there is a tsb 3168. Which explains a metallic rattle on startup which is "filling of the oil circuit" it would seem after reading on internet alot of people on the internet with the 1.6 cdti have this issue and most have been fobbed of by dealers who just refer to this tsb 3168 and that's the end of it. I'll see how I get on Monday.
Tom

Sabino

Post by Sabino » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Hi from Portugal...
I'm a proud user of Astra. It's my 6 opel and 4 Astra...
My Astra J 1.6 Cdti, it's doing the noise that everybody talk in web. In the start theres a metallic noise from the time chain. The car has 80000 kms and is doing that noise since 70000 kms. Opel in Portugal says that this noise is normal. They said today if I change the time chain kit, everything will be the same. Some mechanics told me that the problem can be resolved with other kind of tensor. Because the origin tensor lose the tension after the engine stop. The opel tensor is not the solution. But, I would like to now if there's anybody changed the kit with no opel brand. Did anybody fix the problem? How? What opel said about this?

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Boroboy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Vauhalldisastra wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:48 am
Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. How strange surely if it's getting starved if oil for a moment on starting it won't be doing it any favours. I have it booked in to my local dealership just to check how ever they have said already they have had a phew in with the same symptoms and spoke to Vauxhall and apparently it's normal.

Thanks
Tom
Sounds like Vauxhall don't want to admit there's a tensioner fault, probably down to cost of rectifying it through recall or repair.
Astra 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO

Vauhalldisastra

Post by Vauhalldisastra » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi
There gonna have to fix it I'm not accepting it's characteristics of an engine as millions and thousands of engines have been made and I've never heared a timing chain rattle on start up well I have but it's been shagged .

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:56 pm

My 2016 has done 22000 miles and it does this also.

Terrible rattle for ½-1 second at startup.

Also has a strange "weeeeeuw" sound when i rev the engine. Easiest to hear with the car in neutral. (Not like a worn out bearing as such, which would be premature at only 22000 miles)

Will have to ask Vauxhall to listen to it and give me a hint as to whether it is bad or normal and if it's not i will take it to the dealer that sold it, they gave me a 1 year warranty on engine, auxiliary engine components and gearbox and if its something that needs fixing, i would rather have it done now, where i have only done about 1000 miles in it.

Return to “Faults & Technical”