Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

1.6T engine stutter when cold

10K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  AussieKOwner 
#1 ·
I have a 2016 1..6T Elite Nav with about 25K on the clock which I've had for about 5K miles.

When starting from cold and pulling away the engine seems to stutter a little under light/medium throttle for the first half a mile of driving, almost feeling like it's missing slightly.

It's more noticeable now the temperatures are dropping a bit but only seems to do it when the car has completely cooled down.

After about half a mile everything smooths out and it drives normally and the engine is an absolute peach, smooth through the revs and with plenty of power.

Is this just a characteristic of the engine or do others not have the problem?

#6 ·
Ollie222 said:
Changing the fuel for the tank or two is an easy option to check so I'll give it a go.

Other than a very expensive Esso other stations aren't that convenient or don't have super hence why we've been using the supermarket stuff.
Try using some esso normal fuel and see what happens. Super makes no difference in mine and my old GTC with the same engine made 212Hp on 95 shell completely standard.

#8 ·
Ollie222 said:
We have used the Esso 95 originally when I got the car before I realised it recommended 98 and I don't remember the issue then however it was warm we I got the car.

I'll give it a go for a tank or two and see if it changes anything.
Always put shell v power in my 1.6t. Never had the issue you describe. On a hot day I do occasionally get the feeling the engine is holding back when pushing it hard but I suspect this is down to heat soak and a small intercooler.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#9 ·
u697040 said:
Ollie222 said:
We have used the Esso 95 originally when I got the car before I realised it recommended 98 and I don't remember the issue then however it was warm we I got the car.

I'll give it a go for a tank or two and see if it changes anything.
Always put shell v power in my 1.6t. Never had the issue you describe. On a hot day I do occasionally get the feeling the engine is holding back when pushing it hard but I suspect this is down to heat soak and a small intercooler.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
As you say that's just a characteristic of turbo engines.

#10 ·
Can't say I've noticed the problem and mine's running on Sainsbury's Super 97 RON (which I think I'm right in saying might still be supplied by BP...?)

The only issue from cold is how long it takes to drop the revs to normal tickover - the 1.4T took no time at all. Must be the cast iron block?

#14 ·
I've not timed it but I think it takes a minute or two for the rpm to drop down to normal so it's not possible to wait that long and nor should it be necessary.

The other half is using the car for work at the moment so I've not tried it from cold for a few days but when I do at the weekend I'll see how long it takes and check if it coincides with the revs dropping (I expect it does).

#15 ·
Normally I drive off after a few seconds, just depends on how long it takes for my son to stop faffing around and plug his seatbelt in, tuning the radio, turning off the ****ing parking sensors, setting sat nav destination, etc. The 1.4T dropped in about 5 seconds - the 1.6T seems to take quite a while before it goes under 1000 rpm.

#17 ·
Steg said:
Just going by the manual it also says leave engine to settle for 30secs after running to let the turbo cool down. On the 1.6t
Isn't that in reference to not thrashing the knackers off the car and then suddenly shutting the engine down, running the engine for a short time afterwards ensures coolant and oil is pumped around the engine to help cool it down?

#18 ·
Probably all of that but more importantly the turbo I would pay heed to the people who built the engine sounds really old school for a modern engine having to wait till revs settle from cold and letting turbo cool from hot but seems to work plus use the right fuel and oil and you've got your self a really nice warm / hot hatch Astra 1.6t Sri mit sport button 😎😜

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.