Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Intermittent rattle from under car

26K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  scorpion 
#1 ·
Car is in dealers having the auto stop looked at as well as a rattle I sometimes get from under the car. They have had it since 0845 this morning and have rang to say rattle could be that the brakes need cleaning and adjusting. They want £160 to do this. Seems a rip of so I said no thanks. Would the brakes need cleaning and adjusting and would this be the cause of a rattle? They still have,t diagnosed the fault with the auto stop.

#3 ·
That's what I thought. Annoying thing is this, it when in mainly for the auto stop not working. They had the car all day and haven't fixed the fault, saying that hey need to fully charge the battery first. Why the hell didn't they put it on charge this morning.

#6 ·
After the debacle yesterday the dealer rang me today, apologised and asked me to rebook the car in for further investigation, also said if the auto stop issue is due to the battery that will be covered under warranty. The rattle is heard intermittently when going over bumps. With the windows closed it can't be heard at all. Best description I can give to the sound is a sort of metallic squeak. Definitely seem to be coming from the front of the car.

#7 ·
Dimlaith said:
After the debacle yesterday the dealer rang me today, apologised and asked me to rebook the car in for further investigation, also said if the auto stop issue is due to the battery that will be covered under warranty. The rattle is heard intermittently when going over bumps. With the windows closed it can't be heard at all. Best description I can give to the sound is a sort of metallic squeak. Definitely seem to be coming from the front of the car.
I happen to have some similar noise of that metallic squeak, but happens rarely when going over road bumps sometimes..

#9 ·
SO what is the solution? It can be heard very rarely and I cant seem to have that noise with service guy riding 5mins with me....
the car is really starting to piss me off and I wanna sell it more and more...

#10 ·
I have no solution, but getting rid of the car is high on my wish list. Only had it since December last year and don't wish to have it much longer. Various issues with it. Rattles all over as well as the squeak. Auto stop not working etc. Tonight I start the car and the time has disappeared from the infotainment screen as well as randomly changing stations when switched of. I will never buy another Vauxhall car.

#15 ·
Dealer said they changed the drop links but the rattle is still there. Growing to really dislike this car with all the problems with it. More rattles than Mothercare. Convinced a wheel bearing has gone as well as the road noise is getting worse. Fed up of getting fobbed of by the dealer and am getting rid of it after Christmas. Last Vauxhall I will ever own. Sounds like the car is falling apart on some roads.

#17 ·
The saga continues, car was back at dealers today and a "mechanic" came for a spin with me to listen for the noise and he heard it clearly and was not sure what was the cause. Left the car with them and received a call saying rear brake pads were 90% worn, they needed to replace them to rule out that being the cause. Agreed to them doing it. Picked the car up at the end of the day and dealer said we have adjusted a few thing and if the problem is still there we will need the car for 2 days. Guess what? It's still there.

#19 ·
Got robbed of £93 for the rear pads. Know I could of got it done cheaper but as the car was there and to try and get the rattle sorted I took the hit. I believe they did nothing other than the rear pads so I will rebook it in for two days as per their request. Still looking to get rid of the Astra after Christmas.

#26 ·
Car has been iat the main dealer for two days and they think it's the anti roll ball so have ordered parts, drop links were previously changed for the same issue. Had the recall done at the same time it passed part 1 and they don't know when the parts will be available for part 2.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.