Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

TPMS

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  pepe 
#1 ·
I'm getting my tyres changed in the next coming weeks and I wanted to know how I go about getting the TPMS recalibrated. Do I have to go to Vauxhall or can I do it myself some how? If I do have to go to Vauxhall, does anyone know if and how much they charge?

#2 ·
You can do it yourself if you follow the relearn instructions in your handbook. There are several YOUTUBE videos showing how. You will need a EL-50448 relearn tool, which you can get on Amazon or Ebay for about £12. A very simple procedure

#3 ·
#5 ·
Recalibrated is the wrong word I think? That refers to the accuracy of the reading, not what you meant? As long as the wheels stay in the same position on the car, you don't need to do anything. It's only if you change the position of the wheels that you need to tell the system where each sensor is by using the relearn tool as described above.

#7 ·
The sensors are located in the valves, so if you keep those you'll be fine. As said, just make sure they put the wheels back at the positions they came from and no need to recalibrate, or rather relearn them. It doenst hurt to tell the tyre fitters to be extra carefull with the sensors in the valves, if they dont care they can easily be damaged when the wheels are taken off.

#8 ·
So am I right in saying that this line may as well be omitted from my order?

"2 VAL New valve (cap & core if TPMS fitted) £5.83 £1.17 £7.00"

#9 ·
pepe said:
The sensors are located in the valves, so if you keep those you'll be fine. As said, just make sure they put the wheels back at the positions they came from and no need to recalibrate, or rather relearn them. It doenst hurt to tell the tyre fitters to be extra carefull with the sensors in the valves, if they dont care they can easily be damaged when the wheels are taken off.
More extremely good advice! As for renewing the valve cores and stems, this is always recommended, but some fitters would rather leave alone because it also imposes the risk of damaging the sensor part while they do it. Think I would let them renew the valves and stems because some people are finding the valve stems leaking if not renewed, including myself.

#10 ·
I put different coloured anti theft valve caps on (blue - Front N/S, gold F O/S, red Rear - N/S, silver R O/S) so I would know which tyre it is if I get a leak after swapping the wheels to equalise wear - probably at 18k miles.

Cheap, low tech solution - looks good too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.