Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Tyre Pressure Monitor Issue?

28K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  ksaltash153 
#1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone had issues with the tyre pressure monitor being overly sensitive? I have a 2017 SRI VX Line NAV and I am having to recheck my tyres almost every second day. I bought my car about 3 weeks ago and the tyres are in a good condition - it did cross my mind that it could be a slow puncture but surely not on every tyre!? I inflate the tyres to the recommended 32 psi and the computer system in the car has them recorded as completely different (varying from 26/27 (when the warning comes on) all the way to 38. I have tried checking all the tyres when cold and again once driving but i can't seem to get the balance right at all so was just wondering if anyone else was finding the in car pressure monitor very sensitive?

#2 ·
I'm not completely clear on what you mean.

In my experience the tyre sensors are pretty accurate.

If you inflate the tyres when cold to the desired pressures using an accurate gauge (a lot of gauges are not accurate) do they show the correct pressures shortly afterwards?

If they do then if you measure the pressures a day or two later when cold have they gone down?

I'd suggest checking them with an accurate gauge and if they've gone down then you have slow punctures or faulty valves.

#10 ·
I'm not completely clear on what you mean. In my experience the tyre sensors are pretty accurate. If you inflate the tyres when cold to the desired pressures using an accurate gauge (a lot of gauges are not accurate) do they show the correct pressures shortly afterwards? If they do then if you measure the pressures a day or two later when cold have they gone down? I'd suggest checking them with an accurate gauge and if they've gone down then you have slow punctures or faulty valves.
My garage tells me they have many problems with Vauxhall tyre sensors which cannot be resolved without buying a new sensor at a cost of £60+. Other makes do not seem to have these problems.

#3 ·
I agree with Ollie222, that the tyre pressure sensors seem to be accurate.

The only time I can see that you will get a significant fall in pressure on all 4 tyres is if the pressure is adjusted to the correct setting when the tyres are hot. As they cool, the pressure will drop.

The pressure readings can increase significantly as the tyres get hot through driving or being parked in the sun.

I would re-set the tyre pressures with the tyres cold, then monitor the system from there.

Anthony

#4 ·
On my last car (Corsa E 1.4t) and my present Astra K elite 1.4t I alter / set tyre pressures as follows.
When tyres are cold I start at the front offside tyre with the engine ticking over (off road) and connect the air pump if tyres need inflating. I set the screen to display the tyre pressures and add/remove air to the tyre till it reaches the correct pressure. I move round each tyre in turn till all 4 are done. As the tyres are checked about once a minute by the system, it updates each tyre. You then go round in turn re adjusting till all 4 are correct. I've done this for a few years now so quite good as guesstimating the pressures in one go.

#5 ·
I've found the TPMS to be reliable. I'm old school and check my pressures cold at about 2-3 weekly intervals using a good quality dial gauge and adjust if necessary with a foot pump. Over many years I've come to the conclusion that if you have a routine/system and use the same equipment you'll always get consistent results. Modern technology is fine but some people are over reliant on it. :)

#6 ·
I was led to believe, if the tyres are filled with nitrogen you don't get this fluctuating pressure with temperasure. It is expensive for what it is and is still offered by quick fit and the likes I believe.
Air suits me just fine.
I also find the tpms to be accurate when compared with a measuring device. The tpms does fluctuate quite a bit due to ambient temp and type of driving.

#7 ·
My tpms tyre pressures vary from tyre to tyre, even when I know exactly what pressure they are set at. Usually vary from 1 to 3 psi per tyre. Also I've had false readings in the past too. Where the system has shown a low pressure reading during driving. To then later correct it's self out later on during the journey.
I see the system to give a rough/basic reading only.
May be useful for people that didn't previously check their tyre pressures on a regular basis.
I'd personally rather not have them. I see them to be an unecessary extra cost for motorists. It's now legislation for all cars 2014 on to have them. Whether we like them or not. Which I don't.

#8 ·
I have 3 methods for checking tyre pressures - an accurate dial guage, the readout on my electric pump, and the car's TPMS. I've found they all agree very well, so I've no problem with the accuracy of the car's system. Remember the TPMS only gives a reading to the nearest psi so 2 tyres with very nearly the same pressure might show different readings. As for its usefulness, I believe it's already saved me a load of money. I had 2 punctures in previous cars where I ran the inside of the tyres to shreds before I realised anything was wrong. Needed new tyres each time. A puncture in this car was indicated immediately before I noticed it and I was able to stop and change the wheel straight away. So when I got to a garage I only needed a repair rather than a new tyre. It works for me.

#9 ·
Thank you all for your input, after monitoring for a week or so I spoke to someone at Vauxhall who advised to take the car in (my nearest Vauxhall garage is over 70 miles away). They have advised me that it sounds like a leaking valve as my tyre pressure on a monitor is reading 35 psi but the car system is showing 25!! They have agreed to look at the car however may not repair is they cannot rule out misuse or damage from another source (garage putting on new tyres). I have had to get new tyres on the car, one had a slow puncture and when I went to get that changed they told me that the tyre on the back drivers side was the wrong tyre for my car and shouldn't have been on in the first place!! Time will tell!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.