Updating Post Codes for Sat-Nav

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
FiestaRed
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 150T
Astra Options: Loads more than I need.
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver (Blue when you look at it though)

Updating Post Codes for Sat-Nav

Post by FiestaRed » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Apart from sitting in the car and inputting a load of new post codes to the sat-nav, is there any other way I can do it?

I've tried the Vauxhall app and all I can see that that does is allow me to send a post code to the car from my phone but I would then have to sit in the car to change the post code to a named destination. I can't see that you can send a named destination by the phone.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Updating Post Codes for Sat-Nav

Post by Redman » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi

I have got my exact destination off Google maps,which gives you the coordinates and I have sent them to the in car nav from my vauxhall app. Has always got me exactly to my destination

Some post codes cover quite a big area and you can end up quite a way from where you want to be sometimes. Most of the time I find them pretty good. They were invented for the postal system and not sat navs, we tend to forget that.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:15 pm

Thanks for the help. Not sure where I'd even begin when using coordinates, either getting them from Google Maps or sending them to the car.

Redman

Post by Redman » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:09 pm

I have Google maps app on my phone. You can roughly find your destination using the post code in it, then press on the screen and double tap, then you get a pinpoint location. The coordinates are at the top of the screen, so just copy and paste and open myvauxhall app and copy it to send to navigation system.

FiestaRed

Post by FiestaRed » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:11 pm

Redman wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:09 pm
I have Google maps app on my phone. You can roughly find your destination using the post code in it, then press on the screen and double tap, then you get a pinpoint location. The coordinates are at the top of the screen, so just copy and paste and open myvauxhall app and copy it to send to navigation system.
Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. I know when I'm visiting North Norfolk, using the post codes there is always a bit hit and miss.

Redman

Post by Redman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:23 am

Last year I stayed in a shepherd's hut in Northumbria and the lady that ran it advised me not to use the post code in my sat nav, as I would end up at cottages a quarter of a mile down the road. She advised me to use her Website directions once off the motorway.
So I opened the Google map directions and got the coordinates and hey presto took me exactly to the hut without a glitch.

Return to “Faults & Technical”