Very noisy engine 1.6cdti Astra 67 reg

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
KLH

Very noisy engine 1.6cdti Astra 67 reg

Post by KLH » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Very disappointed with the vehicle it sounds intermittently like a tractor! Very loud upon start up on occasion then drops after 3 -4 minutes approx, to run with a dry grating sound, and generally noisier than normal.
It has got loud also during a run, but normally confined to start up.
The engine runs generally noisier than you would expect for a vehicle of this age ironically called a wispa engine.
Main dealer annoyingly advised initially I was listening to excessive road noise due to castellated tyres at rear.
Second time it was advised it needed a new turbo which was fitted under warranty although no noise or symptoms relating to turbo failure present, not surprisingly has had no affect on the way it runs.
It’s as I write back with dealer now saying Vauxhall has advised them it’s normal for this engine and not a fault.
Due to the severity of the noise when it occurs it can be quite alarming at worst I don’t feel it’s acceptable.
Other issues which are insignificant compared to engine fault,
breaks permanently grinding metal on metal noise and intermittently squeezing,
manual handbrake intermittently does not release without a loud cracking noise when moving off.
A rattle/knocking noise from front of car sounds like stones rolling about can be heard when in lower gears 10-20 mph, having reported this was given a large stone from tray this didn’t resolve it.
Any helpfeedback with engine noise and how to approach this as ready to reject vehicle been nothing but a concern.

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Very noisy engine 1.6cdti Astra 67 reg

Post by Ivanzu » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Noise at start up is normal and caused by chain tensioner. Rear brake pads cant stick unless you leave the car with hand brake on for long time so they rust together.

KLH

Post by KLH » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:16 pm

Sadly it doesn’t match the description of the increased noise Vauxhall state is normal in that it can carry on for several minutes then runs very uneven, with added engine noises.
Vauxhall state it’s a noise that occurs for seconds when started. It can also occur when driving. Very difficult as both intermittent.
Engine runs with a constant whining tone also.

The dealership changed the offside front shock absorber to remove the knock/rattle from the front of vehicle this did not resolve the problem.

The car is used dalily so would not expect the handbrake to release with a crack after being parked over night but this has occurred several times,it also has squealing grinding brakes.

I’ve recorded all the faults on my phone.

Any help with these issues gratefully recieved.

KLH

Post by KLH » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Also could anyone explain why rear passenger door does not fit flush towards the bottom as it curves round. It’s not obvious until you stand at rear of car and look down the side at a certain angle.

Kuro
Astra Model: Sri nav 136 cdti
Astra Options: 18 inch bi-colour alloys
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Kuro » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:44 pm

My cdti had problems but the engine was not one of them, in fact it was impressively quiet for a diesel. I pxed it with 25k on the clock and on 1% oil life and it was as good as the day I got it.

What you describe sounds far from my experience of that engine.

KLH

Post by KLH » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:53 pm

Thanks for your comments it does make be think the engine isn’t right as they are meant to be a quiet “whispa” engine.
I’ve driven diesels for several decades this car isn’t quiet generally it’s comparable to the 54plate vecta I upgraded from!

Leeramsay
Astra Model: Astra Elite Nav Sport Tourer BiTurbo
Astra Options: 18 inch alloys, park assist, hands free tailgate
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Leeramsay » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:01 pm

My engine makes this horrific noise too. This morning it continued for about 2 minutes. Mines been to the dealers 4 times and it doesnt fault when they have it. Interestingly it hasnt done it for a month since i had oil change done, now its doing it nearly every journey. Cant afford oil change every month! Lol. When the engine makes this noise, quickly revving up to 3k revs normally stops it for the rest of that journey. If anyone knows the cure, please let me know so i can tell my dealer! Mines a 16 plate biturbo, 39k.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Boroboy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:40 pm

I've owned my 2016, 1.6d (136) for around a month now, it's covered 19k. Up to now & from a cold start it's been the quietest diesel I've ever owned (hope it stays that way). Especially when warm, I have to remind myself it is a diesel. Although previous to this, I owned 2, 2.0cdti Astra J's for around 3 years in total. They were a true tractor engine, very noisy from cold. In my opinion a 67, 1.6d whisper engine should not be noisy as described. At a guess & from what I've heard about this engine sounds like a chain tensioner. My wife previously owned an RCZ (petrol), they're notorious for chain tensioner issues. That sounded like a bag of hammers intermittently, both from hot and cold. A new cam chain & tensioner under warranty solved the issue. I even recorded, videoed the engine & noise to show the dealer. Was that annoying.
I've not experienced any of the other issues you've had with yours either, so far.
Astra 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO

KLH

Post by KLH » Sat May 05, 2018 9:48 pm

No such chance, have to remind myself it’s not a tractor.
Developed into an everyday occurrence and this week 50% loss of power guest id be told that was normal too, so have given up and accepted an over priced exchange vehicle, I was hugely relieved to be offered this but was soon diasappoinented at the ridiculous sums asked to replace, or alternatively be paid out and use sum to buy an old shape vehicle as that would be all you could get for amount offered, needless to say has been hugely upsetting from start to Finnish.
New vehicle returning nearly 20 mpg more so suggests it’s better but still very noisy for a diesel of this age and same knocking noise on front having read other posts it’s not uncommon.
If all conversations were recorded and posted here it would be shocking to hear, level at which they treat customers is appalling, a huge mistake purchasing this vehicle which I new from very early on.

KLH

Re: Very noisy engine 1.6cdti Astra 67 reg Buyer beware

Post by KLH » Sat May 05, 2018 9:51 pm

No such chance, have to remind myself it’s not a tractor.
Developed into an everyday occurrence and this week 50% loss of power guest id be told that was normal too, so have given up and accepted an over priced exchange vehicle, I was hugely relieved to be offered this but was soon diasappoinented at the ridiculous sums asked to replace, or alternatively be paid out and use sum to buy an old shape vehicle as that would be all you could get for amount offered, needless to say has been hugely upsetting from start to Finnish.
New vehicle returning nearly 20 mpg more so suggests it’s better but still very noisy for a diesel of this age and same knocking noise on front having read other posts it’s not uncommon.
If all conversations were recorded and posted here it would be shocking to hear, level at which they treat customers is appalling, a huge mistake purchasing this vehicle which I new from very early on.

Return to “Faults & Technical”