Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

1.6 Diesel Astra K Clutch Fault

94K views 97 replies 52 participants last post by  Spiderman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Good Evening All,

I've noticed a post on the 1.6D Astra K Clutch issue so I thought I would give you the insider knowledge from a dealer. Yes, Vauxhall has an issue with the new Astra K 1.6 Diesel Clutch.

The Issue:

- You will one day find the clutch pedal is either stuck to the floor, returns very slowly or you are unable to engage or change gears.

The Cause:

- Pollution of the hydraulic clutch circuit.

The Solution:

- In case of a customer complaint, replace the clutch elbow and pipe of the clutch actuator cylinder according to the following working procedure. Get the car recovered to a dealership. They will need to perform Vauxhall Technical Bulletin BST4825 - TSB3286 Astra K Clutch Pedal.

It is a warranty concern and has nothing to do with driving style and is not the customer's fault.

We are keeping the parts in stock permanently at our dealership as we're seeing it every week. If you've got a 1.6 Diesel then please be aware it should be a relatively easy fix for any competent dealership workshop.

I hope this helps :D

See less See more
#6 ·
Crunchynut said:
Thanks for the intel.

Is there any guidance on what range of cars are affected (manufacturing date)?
Yes. It affects all Vauxhall Astra K 1.6 Diesel's from the very first models supplied in 2015-2018. From next year onwards they're producing a superseded or alternative set of parts that fixes the issue.

Most of the time the clutch elbow and pipe will fix the issue but we've seen lots of instances where we've had to replace the slave cylinder and master cylinder as well.

#8 ·
ArcanumFox said:
Crunchynut said:
Thanks for the intel.

Yes. It affects all Vauxhall Astra K 1.6 Diesel's from the very first models supplied in 2015-2018. From next year onwards they're producing a superseded or alternative set of parts that fixes the issue.

Most of the time the clutch elbow and pipe will fix the issue but we've seen lots of instances where we've had to replace the slave cylinder and master cylinder as well.
Hi.

It affects just Vauxhall or Opel too?
No recall for this?

This is bad...

#12 ·
ArcanumFox said:
Crunchynut said:
Thanks for the intel.

Thanks ArcanumFox.

What actually is the fault? Leaking hydraulic pipe? Dodgy seals in the cylinders?

#15 ·
Me too
1.6 BiTurbo with 15,500 miles - not a full failure - caught it pre-failure - problems with hill start and clutch being floppy for first 2/3rds of travel, low biting point (gear crunching) and hard to push as everything happened in the last 1/3rd. Clutch sleeve and slave cylinder replaced (1 week waiting for parts / removing gear box)

#16 ·
ArcanumFox said:
Good Evening All,

I've noticed a post on the 1.6D Astra K Clutch issue so I thought I would give you the insider knowledge from a dealer. Yes, Vauxhall have an issue with the new Astra K 1.6 Diesel Clutch.

The Issue:

- You will one day find the clutch pedal is either stuck to the floor, returns very slowly or you are unable to engage or change gears.

The Cause:

- Pollution of the hydraulic clutch circuit.

The Solution:

- In case of customer complaint, replace the clutch elbow and pipe of the clutch actuator cylinder according to the following working procedure. Get the car recovered to a dealership. They will need to perform Vauxhall Technical Bulletin BST4825 - TSB3286 Astra K Clutch Pedal.

It is a warranty concern and nothing to do with driving style and not the customers fault.

We are keeping the parts in stock permanently at our dealership as we're seeing it every week. If you've got a 1.6 Diesel then please be aware it should be a relatively easy fix for any competent dealership workshop.

I hope this helps :D
Very interesting to read. We've just picked up an Astra k 1.6cdti with77 k on the clock.
After filling it up today the clutch went to the floor and stayed there meaning the missus couldnt get it into Gera. I managed to lift the pedal, turned the car off and back on and it's driven ok since although the pedal seemed high.
We have had 11 Astras between us and they've all been very reliable,.
Are cars that have had the modified parts installed held on a database by Vauxhall and could I found out if our car has had it done please?
If not I guess I would have to pay as it's out of Vauxhall warranty although it's just over 2 years old.
What would this job cost to have done please?

#20 ·
Hi, another Astra K with the clutch failure. Have the 1.6 bi-turbo Diesel.

The pedal went to the floor, being impossible to use the gears. Had the good luck of, after pulling it, worked a bit more - just the time to get to the dealer.

Told me that they need to replace the cylinder, and this will last for at least two working days. Its all covered by the car warranty.

Lets see how it feels after the repair.

#23 ·
Hi, i've this problem and i'm from Portugal, this usually happens when i put the car on first or rear, but today i was with trying to put the car in second but it won't got in gear and started to doing that hard noise (when you didn't press the clutch), some time ago i've sent the car to the mechanic and shown this topic on the internet, he answered me that he didn't fixes the car by what he sees on the internet. We testdrive it and he couldn't reproduce the problem. Them he asked me to leave the car there for a week. By the end of this time he told that have replaced some things, but o bet that he didn't because the same thing keeps happening.

So, how am i suppose to reproduce this when they ask me to show them what os happening?

#24 ·
Mine has just failed again for the THIRD time ! Just about to hit 40,000 miles. That's about 13,000 miles between brakedowns. Apparantly if the garage try to skimp on the job and just replace the faulty parts it WILL re-occur. They have to fit ALL new parts and fully flush the system. That's what I've been told by the lease company which has had dozens of these failures. My last "repair" lasted 10 weeks !

#25 ·
How did your clutch feel before failing? Mine feels strange, it feels like it changes biting point after the car warms up(15-20min), it becomes higher and clutch feels like it doesn't grab as it used to do when it was cold and sometime when I shift I can feel slight vibration in the clutch pedal close to biting point while releasing.

#26 ·
I ladds just put mine in for slave cylinder and pipe told them to do clutch as well but had phone call to say there was play in flywheel and did I want to replace that while doing clutch as car is on 52000 miles and warranty only 60,000 .is flywheel covered by warranty ? Or do u have to pay for that or is there any problems with flywheel failing I thought most clutches where good for120,000

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.