Service esc

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Fizzydrink
Astra Model: Astra k 1.4T Sri
Astra Colour: Black

Service esc

Post by Fizzydrink » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Every other day I get this "service ESC " notification when I turn on the ignition but it disappears within a few seconds. I read a few posts on here but I'm still trying to figure out why it does this?. The car seems fine to drive and wonder if it's just a software glitch of some kind?
1.4T SRI Carbon Flash

adewolves

Re: Service esc

Post by adewolves » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Hi

I am in your situation, maybe a week or so down the line. I had the service ESC message and also auto collision prep unavailable. A few days later the engine management light appeared. Car felt like it was going to stall when in low gears. My car is booked with Evans Halshaw today. Just had a call to say they need to strip the engine as it’s misfiring and they need the car fr a week or so. Currently waiting a call back as they were unable to provide a hire car for that time even though it’s under warranty. I’d book your car in with your dealer asap.

Fizzydrink

Post by Fizzydrink » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Oh dear that doesn’t sound good at all mate. Good thing it’s still under warranty though. I’ll be on the phone first thing on Monday morning to get it booked in and see what they say. Thanks for the info and would like to know how you get on. Cheers
1.4T SRI Carbon Flash

adewolves

Post by adewolves » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Fizzydrink wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 pm
Oh dear that doesn’t sound good at all mate. Good thing it’s still under warranty though. I’ll be on the phone first thing on Monday morning to get it booked in and see what they say. Thanks for the info and would like to know how you get on. Cheers
So today I was expecting an update on 2 things. How the work on my car was progressing and an update on my hire car.

Haven’t received one call. Didn’t call them as I wanted to give them the full day to make contact as they promised. Looks like I’ll have to call them tomorrow.

adewolves

Post by adewolves » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm

adewolves wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:21 pm
Fizzydrink wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:50 pm
So today I was expecting an update on 2 things. How the work on my car was progressing and an update on my hire car.

Haven’t received one call. Didn’t call them as I wanted to give them the full day to make contact as they promised. Looks like I’ll have to call them tomorrow.

Called Vauxhall direct this morning and have just picked up a car from my dealer.

The problem with my Astra is the pistons. Apparently they are made from Porcelain and they’ve seen a lot of them needing replacing. So they are replacing all 4 of mine within the next few days.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 pm

Called Vauxhall direct this morning and have just picked up a car from my dealer.

The problem with my Astra is the pistons. Apparently they are made from Porcelain and they’ve seen a lot of them needing replacing. So they are replacing all 4 of mine within the next few days.
[/quote]

I thought they were alloy , here is a quote from the 1.4 T engine design. I take it yours is the 1.4T petrol

hypereutectic-alloy aluminum pistons that are tough and contribute to quietness. They are used with low-tension rings that reduce friction, which contributes to greater efficiency.

There has been posts on here regarding new stronger pistons being used, never heard of them being porcelain though. Ask them to show you one of the porcelain pistons once they've replaced them and take some pics. How old is your car?

adewolves

Post by adewolves » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:53 pm

My car is a 65 Plate and it’s a 1.4T Petrol.

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:18 am

Pretty sure that he was joking. Your engine should be fine after repair since they are going to use Dexos1 Gen2 oil from the beginning.

Fizzydrink

Post by Fizzydrink » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:34 pm

Glad to hear your getting it sorted. I’m still getting the ESC service message for a few seconds at start up but the car appears to be running fine. Am now wondering if it will develop into the pistons issue later down the line?. I will wait until the snow clears a bit and take it to my dealer for investigation
1.4T SRI Carbon Flash

adewolves

Post by adewolves » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Fizzydrink wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:34 pm
Glad to hear your getting it sorted. I’m still getting the ESC service message for a few seconds at start up but the car appears to be running fine. Am now wondering if it will develop into the pistons issue later down the line?. I will wait until the snow clears a bit and take it to my dealer for investigation
Mine was fine for about 4/5 days after the first Service ESC message. But doing around 30/40 miles a day and then noticed a difference. Was due to get my car back last Friday but its stills in repair.

Return to “Faults & Technical”