Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
PeteVX16
Astra Model: 1.6T 200 Elite
Astra Options: Park assist, Power seat, Electronic key, LED rear
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Rear Brake Pads

Post by PeteVX16 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:01 pm

Hi all
Had a problem with my rear pads recently.
After the car being in my garage, yep I know its rare these days, for about 10 days without use (standard for me in the winter months) on reversing out and after a short manoeuvre to reverse back to the garage to allow me to load into the boot the nearside rear wheel suddenly jammed. Thinking it to be the normal situation whereby the surface rust needed clearing I moved forward only for the wheel to lock again after a few metres. Having checked at the problem wheel I noted that half of the thickness of the brake pad was 'stuck' on the disc which was now jammed against the calliper, hence the locked wheel!
I have not in 40 years of motoring ever seen a brake pad lining split in half through its thickness. One point to note is my mileage of 11000 miles on what is now close to a 2 year old car and the pads still have plenty of life in them yet I am happy to report.
The car could not be moved, my dealer is 15 miles away so I phoned the AA. Luckilly they arrived within an hour and the mechanic was also baffled with the split pad lining having also never seen this before. Basically he removed the wheel, loosend off the calliper and gently struck the stuck lining part with a piece of wood which thankfully removed it in miriad pieces.
Rather than arrange a time consuming tow/relay to the now closed dealer, which would have resulted in having to leave my pride and joy in the street of an industrial estate until monday morning, I agreed to a temporary fix wherby the mechanic, or shall we use the modern technology of technician, rubbed the offending remains of the pad flat and refitted it with the proviso that I drove very carefully to the repairer to avoid excessive braking.
See photo of offending broken pad.
For various logistic reasons on my behalf the local dealers could not fit for a couple of weeks, so I contacted Halfords who said they could source the pads for fitting yesterday. They tried to fit them but due to thier software not having compatability with the cars 'brain' the callipers could not be retracted to allow fitment of the new pads as my car has the electonic handbrake system. A lesson here perhaps for others?
So the car is now at my dealers which hopefully they can get back on the raod in a day or so.
Should be fun trying to get the warranty 'bods' at Vauxhall to admit to this one.....brake pads are normally excluded of course! But as it will cost me £175 to have all the pads replaced I am going to persevere.
Don't suppose anyoene else has had a similar probelm like this?

20180210_131947.jpg

The attachment 20180210_131947.jpg is no longer available
1.6T 200 Elite. Advanced park assist. LED tail lights. Powered AGR driver seat. Keyless entry and start. Spacesaver wheel. Pearlescent asteroid grey.

Astra, the way forward.

PeteVX16

Re: Rear Brake Pads

Post by PeteVX16 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Here is the other photo showing th e thickness view I omitted from first post.

20180210_131953.jpg

1.6T 200 Elite. Advanced park assist. LED tail lights. Powered AGR driver seat. Keyless entry and start. Spacesaver wheel. Pearlescent asteroid grey.

Astra, the way forward.

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Post by AdieMcc » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:28 pm

Sounds like the pads have bonded to the discs having leaving the car for 10 days. Good old electronic handbrake putting to much pressure on them!
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

PeteVX16

Post by PeteVX16 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:30 pm

Tis true but as I say this is quite normal for me to leave the car for this time in exactly the same circumstances......

Astra, the way forward.

Scotty_b
Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Options: Flux Capacitor
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:01 pm

I garage mine every night and the passengers rear always sticks on. Never does it when left outside.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

Johnny86
Astra Model: 2017 1.4T 148bhp Hatchback 6AT
Astra Colour: Alpine White (Custom)

Post by Johnny86 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:59 am

where to get replacement rear pads?

PeteVX16

Post by PeteVX16 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Update.
Good news, my dealer arranged for the pads & discs to be replaced under warranty. Picked up the car today, all back to normal now which is great. Looking forward to the warmer weather now to get some more miles covered. We do have a holiday in Italian Dolomites to look forward to in the summer, with the car of course, more great mountain roads with the 1.6 to enjoy and hopefully more puzzled looking locals wondering why the car handles so well....
Can't praise my dealer enough, they always make sure they look after their clients. Caffyns in Ashford if anyone is interested.

Astra, the way forward.

PeteVX16

Post by PeteVX16 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Hi
See my post earlier this year, this was more problematic problem. The car is kept garaged and not used every day so in the winter months I place the car in gear and leave the electronic handbreak off.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4192

Not tried adding a post link, hope this is correct?

Astra, the way forward.

karlos
Astra Model: 1.4T Elite
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by karlos » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:13 pm

PeteVX16 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:01 pm
They tried to fit them but due to thier software not having compatability with the cars 'brain' the callipers could not be retracted to allow fitment of the new pads as my car has the electonic handbrake system. A lesson here perhaps for others?
Wait a sec, does this mean that cars with EPBs have to be hooked up to a computer to replace the pads?

My rears will probably need replacing next year and I was planning to do them myself. I do not want to pay the £160 I was quoted from Vauxhall.

foxhound24
Astra Model: 1.4T 150bhp SRI Nav ST
Astra Options: Most of them.
Astra Colour: Sovereign silver

Post by foxhound24 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi,
You don't need to use a computer to put the rear brake calipers into "service mode" there is a manual method.

Turn ignition on with engine off, press brake pedal 5 times until servo vaccum is empty.
Press the brake pedal and the park brake switch for approx. 15 seconds until the orange service lamp flashes, keep brake pedal depressed, release and re-press the parkbrake switch for approx. 5 secs until the orange service light goes off.
Release the parkbrake switch and brake pedal simultaneously, the orange service lamp begins to flash.

The rear calipers should now be in service mode allowing the pads to be replaced

Note: the caliper pistons must not be wound in but can be pushed back!

Hope this helps.

Return to “Faults & Technical”