Dpf regen circuit location?

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Dpf regen circuit location?

Post by Boroboy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Hello all,
My first post. I own an Astra J 2.0cdti elite. I'm thinking about a K in the future, either a 1.6d or a 1.4t petrol. I retro fitted a regen dpf light to my J, which is linked to the rear window demister circuit. Could anyone tell me if the Astra K's regen circuit is also linked to the rear heater demister? As if I were to buy another diesel I'd like to fit a retro regen light.
Many thanks.
Astra 1.6d (136) SRI NAV AUTO

cornishtaz

Re: Dpf regen circuit location?

Post by cornishtaz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

I think it is linked to the rear demister this is on my investigation to do list

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:25 pm

cornishtaz wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm
I think it is linked to the rear demister this is on my investigation to do list

Are you certain? Have you noticed any steam coming from your window demister when it's doing a regen? I'm thinking about a diesel again due to the increased depreciation of used diesels and the improved mpg, compared to the 1.4t. I also drive an auto, which does not help with fuel consumption.
I prefer knowing exactly when it's having a regen, taking the guess work out of it. Certainly made life easier with my current J.
Thanks for the info.

cornishtaz

Post by cornishtaz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Boroboy wrote:
cornishtaz wrote:

Are you certain? Have you noticed any steam coming from your window demister when it's doing a regen? I'm thinking about a diesel again due to the increased depreciation of used diesels and the improved mpg, compared to the 1.4t. I also drive an auto, which does not help with fuel consumption.
I prefer knowing exactly when it's having a regen, taking the guess work out of it. Certainly made life easier with my current J.
Thanks for the info.
When mine is doing a regen I've noticed the following

1 Exhaust note is a bit deeper
2 Instantaneous mpg drops by 50%
3 The rear screen has cleared itself without being turned on.

I'm going to wire up a temporary led this weekend to see if it lights when the 3 conditions above are met

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 pm

cornishtaz wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm
Boroboy wrote:
cornishtaz wrote:

Thanks for the info.
When mine is doing a regen I've noticed the following

1 Exhaust note is a bit deeper
2 Instantaneous mpg drops by 50%
3 The rear screen has cleared itself without being turned on.

I'm going to wire up a temporary led this weekend to see if it lights when the 3 conditions above are met

Yep good news sounds like it does run through the demister circuit. Other symptoms seem similar to my J's regen. I had a dpf light fitted to my J, the auto elec took a feed from a wire under the inside sill area of the passengers side front. After tracing it from the rear demister circuit from the window. I had the light fitted to the dash part of my car. My car regens around once every 3 weeks now, very rarely do I pull the key out of the ignition whilst it's in a regen. One of the reasons I'd also fit one to a K if I were to buy one. Not sure whether I want to take a chance with the 1.4t petrol direct injection engine, considering the ongoing issues.
I've owned vaux's from the 80s.

cornishtaz

Post by cornishtaz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:36 pm

I'll be tracing the wire at the bcm which is under the glovebox.

Once I've figured it out I'll post the information.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 pm

Great, I'll keep my eye out. If it's not too difficult I may have a go myself if I buy a K.
What sort of mpg are you averaging? I've averaged 44mpg over the last 20k with my 2.0cdti auto. 30% town, 50% B roads, 20% motorway use.
I've driven a K, liked it, wasn't that impressed with the brakes, as I know they've downsized them to save weight. Not as sharp as my J's.
Cheers.

cornishtaz

Post by cornishtaz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am

Boroboy wrote:Great, I'll keep my eye out. If it's not too difficult I may have a go myself if I buy a K.
What sort of mpg are you averaging? I've averaged 44mpg over the last 20k with my 2.0cdti auto. 30% town, 50% B roads, 20% motorway use.
I've driven a K, liked it, wasn't that impressed with the brakes, as I know they've downsized them to save weight. Not as sharp as my J's.
Cheers.
My car is mapped from 136bhp and 318nm to 160bhp and 362Nm and still get on average 55mpg mainly A roads but I have a heavy right foot. I find the brakes are ok mine have 300mm fronts and 264mm rears.
My previous car was a J VXR.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:10 pm

[/img][/img]
cornishtaz wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:00 am
Boroboy wrote:Great, I'll keep my eye out. If it's not too difficult I may have a go myself if I buy a K.
Cheers.
My car is mapped from 136bhp and 318nm to 160bhp and 362Nm and still get on average 55mpg mainly A roads but I have a heavy right foot. I find the brakes are ok mine have 300mm fronts and 264mm rears.
My previous car was a J VXR.

Thanks for info.
I'd be happy with 50mpg, I'd keep my standard (136). Anything over that would be a bonus. I'm not really heavy footed, just on occasion. Thinking about an Sri nav at the moment, I have previously driven one in the past. A lot quieter than my current 2.0cdti tractor. Smoother too, not quite as much grunt. Although I'm not that bothered about that. Would be dropping from an elite spec, really like my current seats, very comfy.
Used diesels for obvious reasons seem to be selling for a bit less or the same as petrols now, which I'm happy about. Even though they cost a little more from new.
I'd also shove a set of all season tyres on it by the end of this year, as I'm running with two sets at the mo.
What's the oil filter housing like to get to on yours? Bit of a pig with the 2.0cdti. Hoping the K is a little easier.
I'll definitely be fitting a retro regen light to it.
Here's a pic of mine fitted to my J. The led warning light cost me around a fiver. My regens take around 7-10mins to complete, around once every 3 weeks now.

IMG_20180214_172043703.jpg

Crunchynut
Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Post by Crunchynut » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:37 pm

This is all very interesting.

What I don't understand though is why is the regen circuit linked to the rear heated window?

Is it on the same relay or something? - but that can't work as it would regen every time you switch the heated window on....

Confused .....
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

Return to “Faults & Technical”