Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
iavorid
Astra Model: MY2018 1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation
Astra Options: Navi 900, WP1, Rear cam, Versitility pack, keyless
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Re: Help Please - Mpg, Exhaust, Fan , Heating quickly

Post by iavorid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:36 am

Hi TrueQ,
So it turns out to be the DPF regen - there is no aftermarket upgrade to monitor, but diagnostic tool that toneil461 suggested will really do the job. I had an OpCom (Chinese clone) for my 1.9CDTI Zafira that did the job very well, there seems to be an upgrade now that also covers the K (a topic has been created on the subject in the Main Forum), suggest you keep an eye. In case a Chinese clone is available - it will be cheap and perform the task for a fraction of the cost of a diagnostic tool. That said, once you get used to monitoring when the exhaust sound becomes "sporty" and having it complete the cycle, you will no longer require the tool.
Twice a week sounds too often to me though.
1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation in Cosmic Grey

WestWalesAndie
Astra Model: Elite Nav 136
Astra Options: Comfy seats
Astra Colour: Mud over something dark

Post by WestWalesAndie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm

When did you have your last service and did you notice dpf regnerations more afterwards? I have a nasty feeling a recent software update may have changed the emissions treatment and, consequently, the need for dpf regen. Mine has been behaving differently since a service in November.

zoidberg
Astra Model: Techline 1.6 cdti 110 ecoflex
Astra Options: Spare Wheel
Astra Colour: Deep Sky Blue

Post by zoidberg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:06 pm

There was a software recall for emissions, after that the regen has been different and my mpg has dropped by 10 (might be in part due to cold weather)

John TB

Post by John TB » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:25 pm

Sometimes (once or twice a week) I notice the following behaviour: while driving, the engine starts grumbling during acceleration (noticable between 1500-2000 rpm). When stopped in traffic, the engine idles at 1000rpm and the instant fuel consumption reads between 1.5l/h - 1.9l/h (normally it should read between 0.6 and 0.9 depending on the A/C settings).

When shutting down the engine in this state, I can hear the fan working, and outside the car I smell a rubbery clutch-burning like smell. The fan keeps working for 5-10 minutes or so. I have had this on both short & longer drives, in winter & summer, even when the engine didn't reach operating temperature.

First I thought it was the clutch, but I had this behaviour even when being extra gentle on the clutch.
When I found this post on a Skoda forum I discovered something called active DPF regeneration and started thinking it could be caused by an interrupted DPF regen. https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/3 ... rned-off/

Still doesn't explain the grumbling noise, could this be just resonating sound from the fan while driving?

Grumpy1954

Post by Grumpy1954 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:07 pm

Last diesel Vauxhall I had was a Vectra, they really hate short, stop/start journeys, but as you've done 18k in 6 months not likely to be thatbest to let them get fully warm and finish the regen, maybe yours keeps doing it because it didn't finish?

Return to “Faults & Technical”