Stop/Start not working?

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
classicfan
Astra Model: SRi 1.6 CDTI
Astra Options: Nav
Astra Colour: Sovereign Silver

Stop/Start not working?

Post by classicfan » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Has anyone had problems with the system? My 1.6 cdti was running ok, then system started failing intermittently, now stopped working altogether. Local dealer says may be a battery fault, but need car in to test, and I may have to pay for recharge if it's under 76% fully charged. I can't see how the battery capacity can fall to this level when the car starts ok. Just done over 400 miles on motorway and this would easily cover charging. Also say battery can't be charged by normal charger as it's a gel battery. Any ideas forummers?

astramaster

Re: Stop/Start not working?

Post by astramaster » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:10 pm

classicfan wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:13 pm
Also say battery can't be charged by normal charger as it's a gel battery.

It's not a gel battery, it's AGM.
Most recent chargers do work with normal or AGM batteries without any problem, that's just an excuse to take $£€ from you.

classicfan

Post by classicfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:29 am

Thanks Astramaster, think I'll cancel the dealership investigation.

cooldad
Astra Model: 1.6 SRi Turbo 200PS
Astra Options: 18" Alloys + IntelliLux LED Matrix Headlights
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by cooldad » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:09 pm

classicfan wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:13 pm
Has anyone had problems with the system? My 1.6 cdti was running ok, then system started failing intermittently, now stopped working altogether. Local dealer says may be a battery fault, but need car in to test, and I may have to pay for recharge if it's under 76% fully charged. I can't see how the battery capacity can fall to this level when the car starts ok. Just done over 400 miles on motorway and this would easily cover charging. Also say battery can't be charged by normal charger as it's a gel battery. Any ideas forummers?

This has been a recurring issue with my 'K'. Even when all the criteria (as listed by Astramaster) are apparently fulfilled, my 'auto stop / start' seems to have a mind of its own :o :shock: :? :roll:

If it persistently doesn't work, I disable it manually (using the button on the central console) and next time I stop, it magically starts to function again. On occasions, I've needed to turn the ignition off manually (say, at the lights or in traffic), disable it and then when I re-start my engine, it'll usually work next time I come to a halt. So far, I've refrained from taking it to the dealer (although I still have 14 months of warranty) because I'm concerned they'll f**k it up completely and do more harm than good. In its present state, I can just about live with it! ;) ;)
Astra 1.6 SRi Turbo 200 PS / 150 kW, Power Red.
'Intellilux' headlights, 18 in / 45 cm bi-colour alloys, driving assistance pack, advanced parking pack.

classicfan

Post by classicfan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:21 am

Thanks for that Cooldad, I'll give it a try and report back.👍

classicfan

Post by classicfan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm

My issue was resolved partly by buying a charger and topping battery up. Now getting a warning on dash, low battery, start engine every week!!

astramaster

Post by astramaster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:07 pm

classicfan wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:33 pm
My issue was resolved partly by buying a charger and topping battery up. Now getting a warning on dash, low battery, start engine every week!!

You need to charge your battery how many times?
And you still get a dash warning every week?
That does not seem to be such a viable solution...

classicfan

Post by classicfan » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Maybe wrong choice of words Astramaster. I bought a charger, used it once a couple of weeks ago, which did result in the stop/start system working again. Not used charger since, but have had the warning on the dash, and stop/start not working again. Never had this before. A modern alternator should keep the battery charged under all but the most extreme usage conditions of electrical equipment, but the battery charging dash light does go out, so assume alternator charging.

Return to “Faults & Technical”