Dreaded rattles , please help !!

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K

Dreaded rattles , please help !!

Post by Hazza86 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:46 pm

So I purchased my Astra 1 month ago it is a 17 plate sri, 2 weeks ago I started to notice what sounds like a clicky/rattiling noise coming from the back of the boot area, not neciserily loud but very annoying and is more noticeable when on bumpy roads . A few days later another rattle appeard,this time behind the steering wheel it seems like it is coming from under the Astra badge around the horn area on the steering wheel itself, this noise only appears on bumpy surfaces and it sounds like a tapping vibrating noise as the car goes over the uneven road. Any help or a info will be greatly appreciated as I am a fairly new driver and pretty clueless when it comes to stuff like this , cheers .

Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Re: Dreaded rattles , please help !!

Post by Ivanzu » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:05 pm

Go to dealership and tell them to fix them.

Post by Hazza86 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:43 am

i did on wednesday, service man came out in car with me i could tell straight away he wasnt interested and he was playing it down even though the noises were obvious, they kept the car in all day and i got a call to say it was sorted which was a load of rubbish. i was told the noise from boot was to do with the air vents in boot and had been fixed and that 'everything at the front had been tightened' to sort noise from steering wheel. both noises are still the same so any help i can get before i take it back to them would he great.

Astra Model: Elite 1.6 diesel 136

Post by Crunchynut » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:08 am

Two sources I found and fixed :-

1 - on the hatch boot lid, there is a plastic panel that cover from the hinges down to the glass at the top of the window. I found that this was banging / vibrating on the glass on some roads. I just stuffed something underneath it to keep it off the glass as a permanent fix.

2 - the rattle that comes from the steering wheel area, for me, is the bezel around the driver display. If I push on the lcd panel in the top right corner it goes away. So I prized the bezel away from the panel a little with a little spatula tool, and inserted a tiny piece of rubber. Not heard it since.

This may not be your problem but it might help.
Elite 1.6 CDTi 136ps Hatch

Post by PACMANIA » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Hazza go to a different Vauxhall dealership

Astra Model: 1.4T 150 Sri
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by Scotty_b » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 pm

My dash is currently in bits as I track down rattles. I have the fascia above the glovebox and the chrome strip out which has stopped the main one. The door of the little cubby hole under the light switch is also a culprit.

I have Tesa tape to put on the back of every panel I take off which has helped rdduce vibration.

The rear rattle could be what Crunchynut has suggested so I'll look at that later.
Astra K 1.4T 150 SRi, Summit white. De-Chromed with gloss black.

Astra Model: SRi 1.4 Turbo Auto
Astra Options: Winter pack, Front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Summit White

Post by M1chaelR » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:01 am

I had a rear rattle which was the plastic stoppers that come down from the lid and rest down on the plastic discs either side of the boot opening. They just needed a little adjustment as they weren't sitting on the discs properly and moving up and down over rougher surfaces. That's the best description I can give haha.

I also had a rattle where the bottom of the soft plastic dash meets the hard plastic at the top of the instrument binnacle. The dealer put some tape between the two surfaces and that's dampened down now as well.
SRi 1.4 Turbo (150) Auto in Summit White. Parking sensors and Winter Pack

Astra Model: Astra K 1.4 Energy 100hp 5 door
Astra Options: On Star
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Dannyruss1 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 pm

i have a rattle which comes from behind the dashboard when you accellerate to pull away, it goes under all other conditions. I am assuming M1chealR it is the same as your issue, i will bring it up with my dealer when i next go. It started when my car was 6 months old and it is now 18 months.

Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T 200PS
Astra Options: Intellilux, Parking Sensors, Winter Pack, Keyless
Astra Colour: Sovereign Silver

Post by Kyle93 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:31 pm

My rattles come from the doors, I managed to get the passenger door card replaced under warranty but it still creaks if you push it. The drivers door started doing it now as well. Need to take the door cars off and put some rubber strips or something in there to pad it out.
Sovereign Silver SRi Nav 1.6T - Intellilux, Winter Pack, Keyless Entry, Parking Sensors, Climate Control, Spare Wheel.

Astra Model: Astra K Innovation
Astra Options: Intellilux LED
Astra Colour: Cosmic grey

Post by Icy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:47 pm

My one year old astra "developed" some serious rattle at low speeds. In parking lot when turning or uphill when slowly moving back or moving slowly in first, second gear... It sounds like its coming from front doors. but i am not so sure if its interior or something underneath car.
I guess its coming from door panels. Like something is rolling in doors?

Not experienced anything like that in other cars. Like all is falling apart.
When i tap with hand on doors i cant replicate the sound. Only when slowly moving back forth. More apparent uphill...

Any idea what this could be?

Return to “Faults & Technical”