Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

1.4T Piston Problem

19K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Udrive2daybury 
#1 ·
Hi, Im living in Turkey and i have a Astra K 1.4t registered 2016. I have a piston issue. I want to write it down here to get some answers.
First of all, im so sorry about my language cuz my english is not good. :(

My car is astra k 1.4t automatic. Its registered in 07/16. I bought it from another province with bodykit in 11/16. My car is just fine. It didn't have none of any problems that other users have which is not a trim sounds in display,front console any interior. Until 1 month ago. 1 month ago my car have started to lose power in ramps. I mean before i was climbing ramp with 80km/h but now in the same ramp, my car couldn't reach to 80km/h. It drove at 50km/h and not upgrading gear, engine screams :D . But that loosing power was rare about 1 of the 20 driving.

And one thing happened yesterday. I was riding in highway and my car was shaking me like a massage chair :shock: . .However, this shaking occured at the speed 0-20kmh(12mph) and above 100kmh(60mph), not at the speed 20-100kmh(12-60mph). And then, after the auto-stop, the car didn't reach above 40kmh(25mph). All system stopped working front display and gived infos. After that, it said Service:ESC. And my engine light turned on. I turned my signals and slowed my car. Called opel asistant and with a tow we pull my car to service. My car is 11.800km / 7300mile..

Service said that my first piston is losing power. Its not working with other pistons properly. They said that we have to open engine and see whats wrong. I gave the permission. Now they are opening my engine. I was aware of that problem but i was not have any symptomps.. I shocked.

I asked to service worker. Most likely my all pistons and a lot of things will change. And i learned that gm (my car is opel) developed a new piston.(forged piston)

My questions are;
1- After changing pistons, is anyone face the same issue? Is anyone pistons broke again?
2- After changing pistons and engine removal, any changes of the fuel economy and car performance?
3- What will we do? Should we use the car or sell the car?

Thanks for now.
King regards.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi
First automatic 1.4T I have heard of getting piston trouble. You may well need a new engine depending on the damage they find
Mattonecz has had his piston's renewed and he has kept his car. He will comment later I am sure.
Was the new oil in the engine dexos 1 gen 2?

#3 ·
Martonez said that his engine worked fine after rebuild but later developed the same issue, engine was probably too damaged to be properly rebuilt. Demand from them to put the new engine in. Up to you if you are going to sell the car, if they put a brand new engine I wouldn't, but if they just replace the piston I would think about it.

#4 ·
Redman said:
Hi
First automatic 1.4T I have heard of getting piston trouble. You may well need a new engine depending on the damage they find
Mattonecz has had his piston's renewed and he has kept his car. He will comment later I am sure.
Was the new oil in the engine dexos 1 gen 2?
In turkey mostly automatics have this trouble i dont why but i think its cause of the roads :D . Turkey and Germany Opel rejects replacing new engine and changing car with a new one. They are changing everything in engine except engine block ...

#5 ·
Ivanzu said:
Martonez said that his engine worked fine after rebuild but later developed the same issue, engine was probably too damaged to be properly rebuilt. Demand from them to put the new engine in. Up to you if you are going to sell the car, if they put a brand new engine I wouldn't, but if they just replace the piston I would think about it.
Its might be cause of the they are use same pistons. I mean a new one surely but now they are using forged piston. Designed a new one. Which oil that Martones using oil in his car? it was dexos1gen2?

Btw my oil was dexos 2. Not dexos1gen2 cuz that oil come Turkey like 1month ago. My car was a brand new. Service told me to my first appointment 1 year or 15k km. My car was 11month old and 11k km so i didnt put dexos1gen2 to my car. :cry:

#6 ·
thedargon10 said:
Ivanzu said:
Its might be cause of the they are use same pistons. I mean a new one surely but now they are using forged piston. Designed a new one. Which oil that Martones using oil in his car? it was dexos1gen2?

Btw my oil was dexos 2. Not dexos1gen2 cuz that oil come Turkey like 1month ago. My car was a brand new. Service told me to my first appointment 1 year or 15k km. My car was 11month old and 11k km so i didnt put dexos1gen2 to my car. :cry:

#10 ·
Redman said:
Ask the garage to take some pictures of the damaged piston when they disassemble the engine

Were you getting any audible lspi?
You can't put the new oil in if it isn't available in Turkey so no fault of yours there.
Tomorrow morning I will go to service and look whats wrong and how is my girl doin' :D. I never see lspi symptoms like I said before. After changing my pistons I will use new oil. It came services as red notice. So it should be in every Opel services.

But it sucks. I used my car extremely calm. My fuel economy was 6.4 My general speed was 69kmh(43mph)I still don't understand how does this happen...

#17 ·
thedargon10 said:
Update: I got results on my engine. My first piston is broken. I mean its 2 part right now lol. And my engine block is have scratchs. They will put sleeves to engine.
Hi
They can not sleeve this engine as the iron sleeves are moulded into the aluminium block in the production process for strength and rigidity. So they can't be removed and replaced.
The response from dealers suggesting to repair by fitting new sleeves makes me think they don't have that many engines fail. I say this because they would have previous experiences and would know this isn't possible. They would have to fit a whole new engine block. You may well get a new engine.Good luck

#18 ·
Here is a link showing the construction of the engine. Note there are no separate liners put in it.

http://brightcovegm.download.edgesuite.net/1050888044001/201403/981/1050888044001_3352164232001_Ecotec-1-4-Build-Animation-800x450.mp4

Also a paragraph from GM engine build on 1.4

Although we saw little in the way of ground-breaking technology in this new family of engines, they are thoroughly modern and employ best practices throughout. Every version uses an aluminum head and block, with an open deck and cast-in iron liners-1.5 mm thick. The bottom ends of these engines are very solid, with an aluminum bed-plate that incorporates the lower half of the main bearing housings into one rigid unit. Below this is an aluminum oil pan, with a stamped-steel sump at the very bottom of the engine.

#19 ·
Redman said:
Here is a link showing the construction of the engine. Note there are no separate liners put in it.

http://brightcovegm.download.edgesuite.net/1050888044001/201403/981/1050888044001_3352164232001_Ecotec-1-4-Build-Animation-800x450.mp4

Also a paragraph from GM engine build on 1.4

Although we saw little in the way of ground-breaking technology in this new family of engines, they are thoroughly modern and employ best practices throughout. Every version uses an aluminum head and block, with an open deck and cast-in iron liners-1.5 mm thick. The bottom ends of these engines are very solid, with an aluminum bed-plate that incorporates the lower half of the main bearing housings into one rigid unit. Below this is an aluminum oil pan, with a stamped-steel sump at the very bottom of the engine.
I dont know actually but my engine is sended somewhere. They sended back engine with a report. What staff is change, whats wrong with my engine etc. On that report it says engine block has scratches and have to use sleves. I didnt asked are they used or not.

#21 ·
I wonder if this would work on this type of engine block? My understanding is that the sleeves were hard-embedded in the aluminum engine block and this type of repair is no longer viable in this type of engine block built.

#25 ·
So week 4 and I still don't have my Vauxhall astra 1.4 turbo automatic 66 plate car fixed by the dealership under warranty and they have said they can give me no time scale to when it will be repaired. They say they have 3 others with the same issue and I live in bury st Edmunds which is a small town so if we multiply this throughout the country the figures are frightening. I'd stay well clear of this model!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.