Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Pompeydave » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:31 pm

Wow what an outcome , I would of put ££ on a poor result but that’s excellent news , so weird how it’s all or nothing when it comes to contributions .

I think your example might pop up in months/years to come when other unlucky owners come up against it . So there is good news out there somewhere .

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:36 pm

I don't understand it either, I want confirmation from them before I start dancing though, but got a feeling since the last reply at 1800, that they have called it a day at the office, I was in the process of drafting a formal letter with everything from the TSB's to PIP's cross referenced, trying to build some sort of case.

oh on a funny note, the contributions could be down to there maths skills, current quoted bill is 3800, Vauxhall said I pay the remaining 10% of 287.68, pretty sure 10% of 3800 is 380, maybe the bill has gone down?

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:12 pm

That appears to be a very good result. The B14XFL / T is the PRO LE2 engine as in the American Cruze.
Here is a tsb bulletin for engine replacement including total parts costs in 2016 in American $'s. Vx will provide the engine to the dealer, so dealer won't make out of that. The bulletin tells the technician what to remove from the old engine to put on the new bare engine. The labour rates chargeable to you will be more expensive than Vx set labour rates the dealer can charge them. So perhaps that is the small cost difference. Good luck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... AByu4WUbS6

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:03 pm

simon_e_hall wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm
Well as I expected, Vauxhall queried the one service that had been done at a non Vauxhall garage, saying there is no record of it, so it must be done off their computer system, as it is all stamped up in the cars booklet, which I was going to get annoyed at because our local Vauxhall garage had a few months waiting list!

But then they did something really unexpected, offering to pay 90% of the repair bill! Just waiting for confirmation from them, feels like I am selling my soul, if I accept but if I push this they will likely use that one service against me.
That's a fantastic bit of news for you. Well done for your persistence.

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:17 am

Vauxhall confirmed their contribution, now just got to wait on the repairs to be completed/ new engine installed. Then lessons learnt from this nightmare

1) Never buy a vehicle with a small engine which has a turbo
2) Get extended warranty
3) And although it is a pain, get it serviced at Vauxhall dealerships, just so there is no come backs

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:38 am

simon_e_hall wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:17 am
Vauxhall confirmed their contribution, now just got to wait on the repairs to be completed/ new engine installed. Then lessons learnt from this nightmare

1) Never buy a vehicle with a small engine which has a turbo
2) Get extended warranty
3) And although it is a pain, get it serviced at Vauxhall dealerships, just so there is no come backs
Agree with your last two points.
There's a lot of little petrol turbos out there that are reliable too. Mainly the 15-17 plate 1.4t that seem to be effected.

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:33 am

I wonder if Vauxhall keeps an eye on these forums?

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:35 am

simon_e_hall wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:33 am
I wonder if Vauxhall keeps an eye on these forums?
This forum specifically? I doubt it, maybe social media on a whole, including Facebook etc.
I think forums are useful for us to recognise persistent faults etc.
Ask Vaux if you have a years guarantee on the new engine once fitted?

Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Post by Valer » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:10 am

Boroboy wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:35 am

Ask Vaux if you have a years guarantee on the new engine once fitted?
Very unlikely,normally any warranty on parts replaced under warranty are only guaranteed to the end of the normal warranty period.
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:14 am

Not to put a downer on things but remember lots of old parts are going back on a new engine….unfortunately we had many many issues with stupid little things like bolts not tightened properly , gaskets reused and leaked , new rattles appearing etc etc so you might be back from time to time with small issues. But well done in persuing.