Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
simon_e_hall

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by simon_e_hall » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:17 am

Redman wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:06 am
This engine came in a 1.4t for Europe and a 1.5t for America. Exact same engine just different length con rods. In California they had engine failures and got them replaced/repaired under their state lemon laws. Even the correct oil change tsb was paid for by GM there, but not here in Britain at least.

https://www.valerolaw.com/news/2018/10/ ... n-problems
I was just about to post the same thing, I did a search for Lemon Law raised against GM, the attached document which appears genuine on that website, the fact it is dated 2016 and states engine replacement (LE2 which I believe is the same type as our B14XFL) is a God send, definitely keeping this in the back pocket for when they say no again and/ or when I take this further.

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:17 pm

Well document seems legitimate, all listed on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, also noted this document:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/ ... 1-9999.pdf

Which says to check for cylinder issue after certain oil leaks, referencing the previous document, also makes reference to the European region, has anyone presented any of this information to Vauxhall, as this is firm evidence as a known engine problem, with engines manufactured during this period, which had led to law suites in the US?

Also digging, reference to an engine replacement policy for a vehicle with this issue:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 8-9999.pdf

cubiiic

Post by cubiiic » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:25 pm

cubiiic wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:54 pm
I'm having this issue too. 2017 plate 1.4T (150). Went on holiday to Cornwall a week ago and whilst stopping off at Exeter services, the car didn't want to move after stopping at lights. Misfiring constantly and towed to RAC garage. Now back at my dealers and they are going to phone Vauxhall head office this afternoon for guidance.

I've been told by the service manager that because it has full service history and only done 42k miles Vauxhall might make a contribution. They reckon it could be anything from a burnt out valve to piston ring crack. If they don't make a contribution is there anything I and people in similar circumstances can do? Surely Vauxhall can't get away with knowing about this issue and fobbing off loyal customers who service their cars regularly and drive sensibly. I'll post again with an update.
Back with an update. Turns out the crankshaft had too much float which knocked a piston out of alignment. Maximum float is 1mm mine had 2.1mm :lol: Needed a new engine and vauxhall offered to contribute 60% of the total cost. £1808 total. To be honest I was expecting a bigger bill so I am relatively happy, A new engine will add more value to the car so I might end up a bit better off. If you are a 1.4T owner and have no warranty at the moment make sure you buy extended warranty otherwise you could end up like me.

Lucyferos

Post by Lucyferos » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:16 pm

Looks like I’m another unlucky owner of astra with LSPI.
Same story, car start “dancing” on idle—>ESC system unavailable—> forward collision system unavailable—> check engine…. Low Compression on cylinder 1, camera inside and all I can see is “lovely” black piston with lots of metal bits on the sides. Verdict can be the only one, engine have to be replaced. I bought the car from peter vardy on 18th of July 2020 and car is only 41k miles.
Basically peter vardy “show me” middle finger and gived me phone number to Vauxhall. Car is out of warranty.
They should phone me today so I’m ready for the rumble :twisted:

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:44 pm

As people will know I do go on about the lspi issues on here because they are more common than people think.
Apart from my own pool car bad experiences years ago recently a work colleague had these issues , we told him not to buy it but he’s twice my size so who am I to argue with him ! Early 1.4t looked a bargain but a few months down the line lspi , new engine required.
Now this guy is big but even he couldn’t get anything out of VX and wouldnt pay £4K+ so out of coincidence his car vanished one day! Never to be seen again lol
Don’t know the full facts but ‘apparently’ it got stolen and was never found.
1 month later he bought a Ford Focus , insurance high he said for the car but he’s a happy man.

I fully understand people’s frustration with VX , fingers crossed my 1.6t is good at the moment.

BTW disgusting attitude from Peter vardy as just over the 1 yr period with warranty.

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:13 pm

Well, finally got through to Vauxhall complaints, on hold forever by phone, finally as an act of desperation tried Facebook and got through, who would of thought it, but now they are reviewing there decision.

I think they are still going to say no as one of the services was not at a Vauxhall garage, which I will fight as the Vauxhall garage local to me (live in rural West Wales) was booked up for three months at least at the time. So waiting on Vauxhall again.

Did try emailing them as well but they did not reply to the two addresses that are listed, I did not want to write a letter as I want an electronic trail I can give to Consumer Rights if it goes that far.

Pompeydave
Astra Model: Astra Sri nav VX-line 1.6t
Astra Colour: Silver

Post by Pompeydave » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:17 pm

Good luck Simon , I hope you get something but like yourself said you prob won’t. A missing service or a non Vauxhall service is ammunition for them and they will wriggle out of anything.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:40 pm

Lucyferos wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:16 pm
Looks like I’m another unlucky owner of astra with LSPI.
Same story, car start “dancing” on idle—>ESC system unavailable—> forward collision system unavailable—> check engine…. Low Compression on cylinder 1, camera inside and all I can see is “lovely” black piston with lots of metal bits on the sides. Verdict can be the only one, engine have to be replaced. I bought the car from peter vardy on 18th of July 2020 and car is only 41k miles.
Basically peter vardy “show me” middle finger and gived me phone number to Vauxhall. Car is out of warranty.
They should phone me today so I’m ready for the rumble :twisted:
Sorry to hear this, what year is your car and current mileage?
Pompeydave wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:44 pm
As people will know I do go on about the lspi issues on here because they are more common than people think.
Join the club :lol:
Not just the engine failures, it's also the inconvenience caused to customers that Stellantis have seemed to have forgotten.
Last edited by Boroboy on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:41 pm

simon_e_hall wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:13 pm
Well, finally got through to Vauxhall complaints, on hold forever by phone, finally as an act of desperation tried Facebook and got through, who would of thought it, but now they are reviewing there decision.

I think they are still going to say no as one of the services was not at a Vauxhall garage, which I will fight as the Vauxhall garage local to me (live in rural West Wales) was booked up for three months at least at the time. So waiting on Vauxhall again.

Did try emailing them as well but they did not reply to the two addresses that are listed, I did not want to write a letter as I want an electronic trail I can give to Consumer Rights if it goes that far.
Good luck. Time to name and shame them.
Keep us all posted.

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:26 pm

Well as I expected, Vauxhall queried the one service that had been done at a non Vauxhall garage, saying there is no record of it, so it must be done off their computer system, as it is all stamped up in the cars booklet, which I was going to get annoyed at because our local Vauxhall garage had a few months waiting list!

But then they did something really unexpected, offering to pay 90% of the repair bill! Just waiting for confirmation from them, feels like I am selling my soul, if I accept but if I push this they will likely use that one service against me.