Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Valer
Astra Model: 2019 1.0 T SRi Nav Hatch
Astra Colour: Mineral Black GB9

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Valer » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:24 pm

Good luck with it,hope you get a decent response,
you would think (hope ?) that someone at Stellantis would be weighing up the cost of all the bad publicity and replacement costs against the long term brand damage,
perhaps they think washing their hands of it and putting it down as a GM issue will be good enough.
Astra Sri 1.0t Hatch,Astra SRi 1.6t Tourer
Diagnostic kit.Opcom 2020,Mongoose pro GM2 running 2020 GDS2

cubiiic

Post by cubiiic » Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks. Reading through posts on this forum this issue can cost anywhere between £500-£7000, although I think the higher figures must have not serviced their cars. If I get a bad response I'll consider getting in touch with citizens advice and seeing what they say.

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:57 pm

cubiiic wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:47 pm
Thanks. Reading through posts on this forum this issue can cost anywhere between £500-£7000, although I think the higher figures must have not serviced their cars. If I get a bad response I'll consider getting in touch with citizens advice and seeing what they say.
Vauxhall know of the issue, obviously don't like paying out, hopefully they'll offer a decent contribution towards your repair, as they should.
One of the reasons I'm keeping mine in-house for servicing at the moment.

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:02 am

Well the sad story continues, new engine required rough estimate £3800 (if all goes well), so without a car for 2 to 3 weeks, no curtsey car available, dealer trying to do their best to bring cost down, Vauxhall will not willing to contribute, stating the car is to old (65 plate).

This is terrible, surely Vauxhall have to take some responsibility in this, 65 plate to old that is ridiculous, the car has not even done over 45,000 miles, have we got so bad as a society that an engine is considered a throw away item?

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:25 am

simon_e_hall wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:02 am
Well the sad story continues, new engine required rough estimate £3800 (if all goes well), so without a car for 2 to 3 weeks, no curtsey car available, dealer trying to do their best to bring cost down, Vauxhall will not willing to contribute, stating the car is to old (65 plate).

This is terrible, surely Vauxhall have to take some responsibility in this, 65 plate to old that is ridiculous, the car has not even done over 45,000 miles, have we got so bad as a society that an engine is considered a throw away item?
Not good news for you then.
Have you tried contacting vauxhall customer services yourself directly? Explaining the situation, that you'd bought it within good faith from a vauxhall dealer, it has a fsh, low mileage and you are now facing a bill for a new engine. Would they be prepared to cover the cost or make a significant contribution?
The other option, fit a low mileage used engine.

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:49 am

Boroboy wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:25 am
simon_e_hall wrote:

Have you tried contacting vauxhall customer services yourself directly? Explaining the situation, that you'd bought it within good faith from a vauxhall dealer, it has a fsh, low mileage and you are now facing a bill for a new engine. Would they be prepared to cover the cost or make a significant contribution?
I am currently in progress of drafting a letter now, getting numbers, documentation evidence if I can find and anything else to build a case, not sure how to go ahead from there if they say no, but this is an issue with their engines. Will have an uphill battle with Consumer rights against them as car is over a year old and would have to prove that there is a defect at time of purchase which will be a nightmare to prove.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:07 am

simon_e_hall wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:49 am
Boroboy wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:25 am
simon_e_hall wrote:

I am currently in progress of drafting a letter now, getting numbers, documentation evidence if I can find and anything else to build a case, not sure how to go ahead from there if they say no, but this is an issue with their engines. Will have an uphill battle with Consumer rights against them as car is over a year old and would have to prove that there is a defect at time of purchase which will be a nightmare to prove.
How long have you owned the car?
Also explain that the lspi problem with this engine is a well documented issue, social media are well aware of this continuing issue with regards to this engine, generally.
Regarding your legal rights, once you are out of the 30 day rule from purchase, it's up to you to prove the fault was there prior to purchase, next to impossible.
You can only hope there would be a goodwill gesture made from vauxhall, which they should be, as it's a well documented problem.

simon_e_hall

Post by simon_e_hall » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:32 am

@Boroboy I have had the car about a year and a half (2nd hand), I mentioned the LSPI issue in my email including reference to the 2 TSB's I am aware of regarding the issue, which relate to LSPI, also stated the amount of people of who have had the exact same issues on social media. The fact Vauxhall have already turned round and said that because the car is to old they are unwilling to do a goodwill gesture is not filling me with confidence, if the cost of the repair gets any more it will nearly equal the cost of the car.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:55 am

simon_e_hall wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:32 am
@Boroboy I have had the car about a year and a half (2nd hand), I mentioned the LSPI issue in my email including reference to the 2 TSB's I am aware of regarding the issue, which relate to LSPI, also stated the amount of people of who have had the exact same issues on social media. The fact Vauxhall have already turned round and said that because the car is to old they are unwilling to do a goodwill gesture is not filling me with confidence, if the cost of the repair gets any more it will nearly equal the cost of the car.
I hope you receive a positive response back from them.

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Post by Redman » Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:06 am

This engine came in a 1.4t for Europe and a 1.5t for America. Exact same engine just different length con rods. In California they had engine failures and got them replaced/repaired under their state lemon laws. Even the correct oil change tsb was paid for by GM there, but not here in Britain at least.

https://www.valerolaw.com/news/2018/10/ ... n-problems