Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Muhammad Salah
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:46 am

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Muhammad Salah » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:59 pm

ChrisTay wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 pm
Hi there,

It's probably LSPI, or cam shaft end float.

Those seem to be the major issues with these engines, although I thought the newer 'D' engines avoided those issues, so not too sure tbh.
Hi chris,

We really don't know what's the problem, but let me tell you that here in Egypt we're using Shell helix pro 5-30 dexon 2 also, using branded fuel octane 95.

Do we have any kind of ECU updates to avoid that kind of issues?

Bear in mind I'm note sure that my engine is D14net or B14net

Thomas Nottingham
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:14 am

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Thomas Nottingham » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 pm

My issue was the piston in cylinder 1, my engine has been replaced now at a cost of £5000, I picked up up last Monday and took it back on the Wednesday as vauxhall hadn't regassed my aircon android also they tried telling me I needed a new gearbox as there was a horrible grinding noise when in neutral but they took it back in today and found it was the clutch release bearing that the mechanics had damaged putting the engine and gearbox back in, I collect the car again tomorrow so will see then.

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Boroboy » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:35 pm

Muhammad Salah wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:28 pm
Dears,

I'm owner for Astra J 2021 1.4T ( D14net ) engine. I'm currently based in Egypt we have around more than 20000 sold car from this version 1.4t.
Recently, more than 50 car started to face a problem with this engine and the most common issue stated from Opel Egypt that there's a piston failure in the engine and they would change the whole engine.

My question for you guys, what's the main problem with the engine?
Also, in case there's any solution for this issue abroad what would it be ?

Note that opel Egypt doing there job regarding this issue only by changing the whole engine without any hesitation but they don't have any clear answer for the reason for this issue.

Hope anyone could help me.
Is yours a manual or an auto? Over her within the U.K the 2018, 1.4t onward engines are using 0w 20 oil now. As far as I know these have also had the ecu update done from the factory with regards to lspi issues. My car is on a 2018 & an auto with no GPF either. I've had no lspi events that I've noticed so far. Although once out of manufacturers warranty I'm buying a Vauxhall extended warranty to cover from years 3-4, I suggest you do the same, when your manufacturers warranty ends, if you want to keep your car for a while longer.
Those failed engines in Egypt you were taking about, what age are they failing on?

Muhammad Salah
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:46 am

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Muhammad Salah » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:55 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:35 pm
Muhammad Salah wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:28 pm
Dears,

I'm owner for Astra J 2021 1.4T ( D14net ) engine. I'm currently based in Egypt we have around more than 20000 sold car from this version 1.4t.
Recently, more than 50 car started to face a problem with this engine and the most common issue stated from Opel Egypt that there's a piston failure in the engine and they would change the whole engine.

My question for you guys, what's the main problem with the engine?
Also, in case there's any solution for this issue abroad what would it be ?

Note that opel Egypt doing there job regarding this issue only by changing the whole engine without any hesitation but they don't have any clear answer for the reason for this issue.

Hope anyone could help me.
Is yours a manual or an auto? Over her within the U.K the 2018, 1.4t onward engines are using 0w 20 oil now. As far as I know these have also had the ecu update done from the factory with regards to lspi issues. My car is on a 2018 & an auto with no GPF either. I've had no lspi events that I've noticed so far. Although once out of manufacturers warranty I'm buying a Vauxhall extended warranty to cover from years 3-4, I suggest you do the same, when your manufacturers warranty ends, if you want to keep your car for a while longer.
Those failed engines in Egypt you were taking about, what age are they failing on?
My car is 2021 model auto gear with most probably B14NET engine the engine number is 19wz9602. Warranty is 5 years.

There's no specific age for cars to fail on, we have cars around 60,00 40,00 and the most wired case a brand new car with 8,000 KM.

I'm curious to know what's the main problem with this engine as out of nowhere here in Egypt, we started to notice this issue with no any clarification from opel Egypt, they only Change the engine with a new one that might has the same problem.

Many customers here in Egypt started to get angry from this issue and we don't know what should we do regarding this, should we raise heavy complaint or what as what I can see that all astra J 1.4T would face the same issue sonner or later.

Redman
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 pm
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Redman » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:30 am

Hi
B14NET engine is a totally different engine to that of the astra k. It is a port fuel injection engine iirc and turbo charged, unlike the astra k direct injection turbo charged. They don't make the astra j over here anymore and if my memory serves me well it gives up the ghost on cylinder 4 on that engine. The cylinder farthest away from the coolant pump. Highly unlikely to be lspi as the fuel is vaporised as opposed to atomised when it is delivered to the cylinders, so not wet.

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Boroboy » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:39 am

Muhammad Salah wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:55 pm
Boroboy wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:35 pm
Muhammad Salah wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:28 pm
Dears,

I'm owner for Astra J 2021 1.4T ( D14net ) engine. I'm currently based in Egypt we have around more than 20000 sold car from this version 1.4t.
Recently, more than 50 car started to face a problem with this engine and the most common issue stated from Opel Egypt that there's a piston failure in the engine and they would change the whole engine.

My question for you guys, what's the main problem with the engine?
Also, in case there's any solution for this issue abroad what would it be ?

Note that opel Egypt doing there job regarding this issue only by changing the whole engine without any hesitation but they don't have any clear answer for the reason for this issue.

Hope anyone could help me.
Is yours a manual or an auto? Over her within the U.K the 2018, 1.4t onward engines are using 0w 20 oil now. As far as I know these have also had the ecu update done from the factory with regards to lspi issues. My car is on a 2018 & an auto with no GPF either. I've had no lspi events that I've noticed so far. Although once out of manufacturers warranty I'm buying a Vauxhall extended warranty to cover from years 3-4, I suggest you do the same, when your manufacturers warranty ends, if you want to keep your car for a while longer.
Those failed engines in Egypt you were taking about, what age are they failing on?
My car is 2021 model auto gear with most probably B14NET engine the engine number is 19wz9602. Warranty is 5 years.

There's no specific age for cars to fail on, we have cars around 60,00 40,00 and the most wired case a brand new car with 8,000 KM.

I'm curious to know what's the main problem with this engine as out of nowhere here in Egypt, we started to notice this issue with no any clarification from opel Egypt, they only Change the engine with a new one that might has the same problem.

Many customers here in Egypt started to get angry from this issue and we don't know what should we do regarding this, should we raise heavy complaint or what as what I can see that all astra J 1.4T would face the same issue sonner or later.
I took it that you owned an Astra K (mk 7 Astra), posting on an Astra K forum.
As pointed out by the previous poster, the Astra J 1.4t engine is different to the Astra K 1.4t engine. Although at least you have a 5 year manufacturers warranty over there, unlike over here.

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Boroboy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:14 pm

Thomas Nottingham wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:19 pm
My issue was the piston in cylinder 1, my engine has been replaced now at a cost of £5000, I picked up up last Monday and took it back on the Wednesday as vauxhall hadn't regassed my aircon android also they tried telling me I needed a new gearbox as there was a horrible grinding noise when in neutral but they took it back in today and found it was the clutch release bearing that the mechanics had damaged putting the engine and gearbox back in, I collect the car again tomorrow so will see then.
Did you get any joy with vaux customer services, with regards to a contribution & did yours have a full vaux service history too?

simon_e_hall
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:32 pm

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by simon_e_hall » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:54 pm

Well it looks like I am about to join the list of victims of this issue, car started with a random ECS warning every so often and a lumpy idle for a week or so, which then cleared up by itself for a week and ran smooth, then I saw oil from the exhaust booked it into a garage, during the wait, the oil issue developed into a full on leak, then engine warning light came on (steady and flashing) in conjunction with ECS, got a fault code for misfire on cylinder one, got it into the garage, 45 psi from piston one. Spoke to Vauxhall main dealer, who promise nothing but will recover car to their own service garage. Looks like a big bill coming my way. I have a few questions:

1) What has been the out come from others with this issue, i.e. Vauxhall paid part of the cost or left you high and dry?

2) Any advice?

3) I am interested in how many people on this forum have had this issue, because I cannot help but think Vauxhall will try and palm this off as my fault and want some numbers to fight back or go to an outside agency for support.

One last thing, car was 2nd hand (from Vauxhall) with full service history (majority of services at Vauxhall, one or two not), I have had the car for just over one year, it has not even done 45,000 miles year, so therefore I have had it serviced once at the correct interval, and lugging the car is not my driving style, no putting my foot down at high gear and low revs, use to drive lorries so not the way I drive. Wife thinks I am mad always checking the levels and tyres before long journeys and each week.
Last edited by simon_e_hall on Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boroboy
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red
Location: Guisborough, North Yorkshire.

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Boroboy » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:46 pm

@Simon_e_hall
As you know this issue is well documented on here, mainly seems to effect up to 2017, Astra 1.4t engines. There was also an ECU update to try to rectify the lspi issue, along side a different oil too.
As you bought it from a vaux main dealer, all you can do is push for a contribution towards the repair from vauxhall customer services, your dealer may do this on your behalf.
Good luck with it and keep us posted.

cubiiic
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:48 pm

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by cubiiic » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:54 pm

I'm having this issue too. 2017 plate 1.4T (150). Went on holiday to Cornwall a week ago and whilst stopping off at Exeter services, the car didn't want to move after stopping at lights. Misfiring constantly and towed to RAC garage. Now back at my dealers and they are going to phone Vauxhall head office this afternoon for guidance.

I've been told by the service manager that because it has full service history and only done 42k miles Vauxhall might make a contribution. They reckon it could be anything from a burnt out valve to piston ring crack. If they don't make a contribution is there anything I and people in similar circumstances can do? Surely Vauxhall can't get away with knowing about this issue and fobbing off loyal customers who service their cars regularly and drive sensibly. I'll post again with an update.

Post Reply