Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: Astra 1.4 T Piston Issue

Post by Redman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:40 pm

I can honestly say I have never to my knowledge experienced lspi in my 1.4t 19 plate, having owned it from new for 2 years. I will say I experienced it in my previously owned from new 16 plate 1.4t. Having said that once new oil was added to it and the engine ecu updated and me being aware of lspi I didnt experience it after that.

Redman

Post by Redman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:37 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:06 am

Redman,
Could I ask where you got your info on the change of piston design to 2018 models? As I've not previously heard of this within the U.K.
Many thanks.
Here is one thread from the American forums and plenty of discussions on MY18 + pistons. All sidi engine manufacturers add excessive fuel to the cylinders when a risk of lspi conditions are present (cooling the cylinders quickly) GM were very late on adopting this preventative method unlike Ford and VW . GM preferred to boast more mpg as adopting this method comes at a mpg price. GM were one of the main pushers for creating lspi preventing oil research though.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/serio ... es.248825/

Boroboy
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4t auto SRI NAV
Astra Colour: Red

Post by Boroboy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:09 pm

Redman wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:37 pm
Boroboy wrote:

Redman,
Could I ask where you got your info on the change of piston design to 2018 models? As I've not previously heard of this within the U.K.
Many thanks.
Here is one thread from the American forums and plenty of discussions on MY18 + pistons. All sidi engine manufacturers add excessive fuel to the cylinders when a risk of lspi conditions are present (cooling the cylinders quickly) GM were very late on adopting this preventative method unlike Ford and VW . GM preferred to boast more mpg as adopting this method comes at a mpg price. GM were one of the main pushers for creating lspi preventing oil research though.

https://www.cruzetalk.com/threads/serio ... es.248825/
Thanks for the info.
Yes a lot of manufacturers are suffering with lspi issues with their direct injection engines. I think the ECU update, alongside the newer oil has helped PSA with our engine. Also owning an auto should help too. As I'm not in control of when exactly my gear changes occur, which should also reduce the effect from lspi.
It's just a shame we don't have the same consumer protection or warranty that they seem to have within America.

Redman

Post by Redman » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:37 pm

If you feel the auto gearbox lug, which I believe they occasionally can, make sure you kick down and make it drop a gear.

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:49 pm

Redman wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:37 pm
If you feel the auto gearbox lug, which I believe they occasionally can, make sure you kick down and make it drop a gear.
I've owned two previous autos with vauxhalls, I've not as yet felt a "lug", whilst changing up, I tend to poot my foot down fairly hard though if I was wanting to accelerate hard. So it tends to drop it into a lower gear fairly quickly, my box being the gt35 gen 3 torque convertor, then vaux went onto the CVT boxes with later K's, late 18 plates on, possibly with the gpf's. I know 19 plate on have CVT's now. My gt35 6 speed box is the smoothest I've owned so far, smoother than a dsg I once owned too. Very happy with it, so far.

Thomas Nottingham

Post by Thomas Nottingham » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:07 pm

Boroboy wrote:
Redman wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:57 am
Thomas Nottingham wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:19 am
Hi Im currently in the process of getting my astra k 1.4t 2017 plate engine changed, its currently done 38000 miles on the clock and I've owned the car for only 9months but havnt got a choice to replace the engine as I've currently got it on hp for another 4years, the cost is £5000 for new engine and fitting. I'm not very happy and will never buy a vauxhall after this.
That is bad news for you, sorry to hear that.
Presumably you are not getting any dealer contribution to the engine change. Have you considered a second hand engine off ebay from an accident damaged car? . In 2018 GM changed the piston design on the Le2 engine along with 0W20 oil. Also a more robust engine ecu mapping performed.
If you get a new engine I wonder if it would be the D14XFT/L as I can't see VX making the B14XFT/L anymore. Here is a 19 plate on ebay. Don't know whether yours is the XFT or XFL engine, you would have to verify compatibility obviously. Do ensure whatever you do that the engine ecu has had the tsb update performed so not to ruin another engine. I would not consider any secondhand engine less than an 18 plate myself.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2019-VAUXHAL ... 9041454606
Redman,
Many thanks.
I've looked on ebay but struggling to find one that fits my car and yes I will deffo be sure to have the ecu updated, thanks

Thomas Nottingham

Post by Thomas Nottingham » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 pm

I've emailed vauxhall customer services today with a nice big complaint demanding a contribution towards the cost, so time will see thank for the replies

Boroboy

Post by Boroboy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:06 am

Thomas Nottingham wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 pm
I've emailed vauxhall customer services today with a nice big complaint demanding a contribution towards the cost, so time will see thank for the replies
I hope they make a contribution, considering it's a known problem.

Muhammad Salah

Post by Muhammad Salah » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:28 pm

Dears,

I'm owner for Astra J 2021 1.4T ( D14net ) engine. I'm currently based in Egypt we have around more than 20000 sold car from this version 1.4t.
Recently, more than 50 car started to face a problem with this engine and the most common issue stated from Opel Egypt that there's a piston failure in the engine and they would change the whole engine.

My question for you guys, what's the main problem with the engine?
Also, in case there's any solution for this issue abroad what would it be ?

Note that opel Egypt doing there job regarding this issue only by changing the whole engine without any hesitation but they don't have any clear answer for the reason for this issue.

Hope anyone could help me.

ChrisTay

Post by ChrisTay » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:37 pm

Hi there,

It's probably LSPI, or cam shaft end float.

Those seem to be the major issues with these engines, although I thought the newer 'D' engines avoided those issues, so not too sure tbh.