no clutch pressure

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Brin D

Re: no clutch pressure

Post by Brin D » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:51 am

Well, the pipe & elbow repair done three weeks ago hasn't worked; for the last week the clutch pedal has (mostly) been sitting on the floor first thing in the morning and after a day parked at work. You can get round it by hauling it up the full height with your toe and pumping it, but clearly it is depressurising when static - and you don't want this kind of bodge on a two-year old car. Dealership have been told by Vauxhall HQ that if the first repair doesn't work, replace whole clutch assembly, so we are booked in again. I need this sorted before next January when warranty runs out ! I shudder to think what all this is costing them - wonder if there's high-level litigation with the manufacturer ? - but fair play, they're making no fuss, providing courtesy cars, and akcnowledging the problem.

scott_mcl

Post by scott_mcl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone had an issue getting this resolved under warranty, i have a 16 plate 1.6 CDTi Astra which was in the dealer yesterday. All they would say is that I have a heavy clutch and the clutch kit needs replaced, NOT under warranty as over 18000 miles (currently 30000), and it would cost £1000 to carry out the work. I have a feeling they disregarded why i initially had it in the garage and just looked for an issue with the clutch!

Problem: Stopped at lights, press clutch down to go into first and peddle went straight to the floor (absolutely no pressure). RAC came out and said that if I pumped the clutch pedal i would be able to carry on rather than wait a couple of hours on recovery. This has occured a few times, with a more regular occurence being that the clutch pedal just feels light.

I was planning on contacting Vauxhall Customer Service to try get to this as the dealer said they could do nothing except strip the car to find a fault (and i would be liable for cost if none was found).

Thanks,

Scott!

Brin D

Post by Brin D » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Following my last posting my local dealership replaced the master cylinder under warranty and so far, so good. They are quite open that it is a known component-manufacturing fault and I would have thought , Scott, that you would have good grounds for a Sale of Goods Act claim even if you are out of warranty. Your symptoms seem identical to what and several others on this board were experiencing.
Insists that your dealer consults whatever Fault Bulletins are put out by Vauxhall / Opel . (I'm making up the terminology, but there is clearly some HQ directive that dealerships are able to access to tell them what to do if customers come in with this problem. My dealer had had six similar ones in the previous fortnight.)

scott_mcl

Post by scott_mcl » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:52 pm

Thanks Brin. Glad to hear it has resolved the issue.

It would seem the dealer was either unaware , or playing stupid (i hope the former) to the fact this is a widespread issue. I was unaware it was only 18000 for the clutch, however, this is clearly a known fault. Less than two years old at the moment so still a pretty new vehicle

I am going to be in contact with Vauxhall to try get this resolved. Hopefully this shall resolve the issue fairly quickly... at least my left leg is getting a good workout in the mean time!

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:28 am

I've never noticed a reservoir for the clutch fluid - where is it located?
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

Ivanzu
Astra Model: 1.4T
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Ivanzu » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:48 am

It uses brake fluid.

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 pm

So the clutch and brakes use the same reservoir?

I've never been able to fil the brake reservoir above what can't be, but looks like, a join line (in the centre of the upper and lower moulding) - and certainly not up to the max level line.

Anyone know how to do it?
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

fozzi97
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6 CDTi (136PS)
Astra Options: Front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Granite Grey

Post by fozzi97 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:01 am

trigger wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 pm
Got the car back from the dealer today and touch wood all appears ok so this time they replaced the clutch slave cylinder and associated parts and previously they replaced the master cylinder. Seems much better firmer pushback on the clutch pedal when releasing!

Anybody else who has or has had this issue?

Regards
Hi Trigger,

Last week I found the clutch pedal stuck to the floor on my Astra. No warning at all and I’m always easy on my clutch. It is currently at the dealer having its gearbox out with Vauxhall refusing to take any liability for it being a manufacture fault.

Just wondering what your outcome was please? Did Vauxhall cough up to it? And have you had any issues since your Astra was repaired? I’m worried it’ll be a short amount of time before it happens again :(

Many thanks

Jayne3112

Post by Jayne3112 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Well...seems like I'm not the only with clutch problems on an Astra!!! After having problem after problem with the clutch since last Nov, a stripped gearbox and new flywheel fitted and still yet another problem involving my car getting into gear and clutch pedal sticking to the floor....I now actually hate my Astra!!!!
Mines a 1.6 litre diesel 2016
Can't wait until the lease is over in 2019.....I will never get a Vauxhall car again!!!
😡😡😡😡😡

ejK3v

Post by ejK3v » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:40 am

Just wanted to let you all know my Clutch Problem with my Astra K 2016 SRI.

It went in on Thursday night 12th April and had a call Friday 13th saying that they are replacing clutch system under Warranty ! Which is positive news. They have also agreed to provide me with a hire car, so no complaints at this time.

hopefully get it back sometime next week.

Return to “Faults & Technical”