Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

no clutch pressure

60K views 71 replies 30 participants last post by  sparkyb91 
#1 ·
I was driving along last week and my clutch dropped, after 8 hours of recovery we got to a Vuaxhall dealer and left it over the bank holiday weekend. 5 days later, got the car back, they'd replaced pretty much everything to do with the clutch system.

It was great for 150 miles, when I felt the clutch go again as I was driving around a roundabout. Got the car back home and dropped at my local Vauxhall as clutch pressure has definitely gone again. pretty gutting after not having the day for over 7 days!

Today the dealer tells me they are inundated and vauxhall do not have a solution that is holding!!! They also tell me they had a fleet of new police cars all with the same issue! sounds pretty widespread.

My astra is a 1.6 Diesel SRi 66 plate

#3 ·
Hi

My 16 Plate Astra Sports tourer went on way back from holiday in Cornwall 250 x miles from my destination. RAC managed to get it going again so we could get to Tewksbury and then home next day but on way to supermarket same again flat to the floor and could not get into gear. RAC towed to the dealer and it's been there ever since. 🤡

Attachments

#5 ·
These symptoms remind me of what happened to my son-in-law when his diesel car's dual mass flywheel/clutch failed - no clutch pressure, could not select/change gear.

From what we have discussed earlier on the forum, the Astra K SIDI petrol turbo engines use a dual mass flywheel clutch arrangement - even the automatic, I was told by the dealer.

Generally, from what I have read, they prove reliable on petrol engined cars (diesels not so reliable) - whether they will be as reliable in SIDI petrol turbo cars, which are a bit more diesel like - is a moot point.

Does it matter?

Probably not unless whatever arrangement they have adopted is as unreliable as the dual mass flywheel that failed on my son in law's two year old Kia Sportage at 50k miles (No warranty cover- wear and tear).

As it will probably take me eight years t.o get to 40k miles, hopefully it will make no difference to me. Could it be another emerging issue on the 1.4 petrol turbo cars? Hopefully not.

#6 ·
Got my Astra back this morning after the dealer had replaced the clutch master cylinder even though the RAC advised that it appeared to be the slave cylinder that was the issue why did they not replace both? only did 61 miles then same issue clutch pedal stuck flat down had to be towed back into the Vauxhall dealer by the RAC. Before I collected the car I requested the dealer carry out a long test drive but they only drove it 2 x miles which is not long enough.

Ain't a clue when I will get the car back now I'm in a hire car again! 😥

Been in conversation previous and also now with Vauxhall via Facebook messenger but don't seem to be getting anywhere😥

#9 ·
Latest from the dealer is that they are going to replace the clutch slave cylinder and all other parts that are required when changing this. From what I have been told it is a big job and the gearbox had to come out.

Been told all the parts are on back order with no lead time so this shows just how much of a problem the the clutch issue is on the Astra K model.

😥

#10 ·
Got the car back from the dealer today and touch wood all appears ok so this time they replaced the clutch slave cylinder and associated parts and previously they replaced the master cylinder. Seems much better firmer pushback on the clutch pedal when releasing!

Anybody else who has or has had this issue?

Regards

#11 ·
Hmm I wonder if my clutch is beginning to show the very early signs of this problem! Ever since I took it in for a noisy clutch pedal every so often when I go to press the clutch in at the very beginning of travel, like the first few millimeters sometimes there's no resistance at all, I don't get that sensation every time I use the clutch though.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Yes it sounds like it's the start of the problem as that's what mine did in the first instance usually first journey of the day. Then usually when reversing or any situation where you use the clutch a lot you could feel the biting point getting lower and lower till you can't change gear.

#13 ·
trigger said:
Yes it sounds like it's the start of the problem as that's what mine did in the first instance usually first journey of the day. Then usually when reversing or any situation where you use the clutch a lot you could feel the biting point getting lower and lower till you can't change gear.
Great, got that too look forward too, hope it doesn't happen when I've got a queue of traffic behind me stopped at lights or a junction!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Mine is in tomorrow for this. Really feeling the love having had a new engine this time last year. I'm hoping it's just pressure in the cylinder issue though. Pedal goes to the floor and stays there normally while in queuing traffic but also at times when I sit with the pedal depressed at the lights. I've been doing this deliberately to try and get a fault I can just show to the garage. Put my foot round the back of the pedal and pull it up and i can then push back down and change gear although it's very light. We shall see.

#16 ·
Hope they get yours sorted they should change the master cylinder and slave cylinder. They might just do the master cylinder first which they still need to remove some of the dash board to do it. They might then see if that fixes it as to change the slave cylinder the whole gearbox has to come out.

Sounds like yours had not totally packed in as when it does stays flat to floor and you can't change gear!

Mine was off the road 2 x times for a total of two weeks.

Let us know how you get on as they might give you the old "Parts Are on backorder rubbish!"

#17 ·
Just got home strange thing happen was at the traffic lights waiting for lights to change green. Anyway the car wouldn't go into 1st gear. I was like what the fuck going on here. Anyway I had to which the engine off. Put it into 1st gear then start the engine. All seem ok then it done it again. The car wouldn't go into gear why the engine was running. I was thinking pac car no longer perfect, only 5700 on the clock. The clutch peddle was half way down I had to lift it up with my hand then all seem OK again. 3 times. Shall I take it into the dealers to get check out. When I got home I switch the engine off restarted it all seem fine. ;) Any though people. I'm not paying for a new clutch that not even wear and tear. My other half would of panic and freak out. Plus with the baby :roll: and all that

#18 ·
Hi

I would get it to the dealer and request that they change both the master and slave cylinder under manufacturers warranty as the issue will only get worse as it did with myself. Had my car back after both master and slave cylinder done a few thousand miles in it and all appears ok now!

#21 ·
Reversing fine. I live in London but I'm taking the car back to the dealership where I brought it in Worcester. They will give me a courtesy car. Funny enough I wanted to take the car to my local vauxhall in staples corner Brent x but they hadn't had any car in to give me. They got fuck all in But I'm seeing a friend in Worcester so they may keep the car for a week. Getting a corsa. Driving that that down to London then back up again. Bloody long. But I cannot fault the flawless service i received I'm more the happy to drive 130miles who mechanic know what wrong. Also I got a small stone chip. Gonna asked to sort that out also

#26 ·
Got mine back last night. New Master, slave cylinders and all the bits between no arguments or discussions it was "we are replacing the lot". Driving OK but I've only done a dozen miles. Fast turn around from the dealer (same one that replaced the engine last year). Less than a week in the garage. Hope everyone else has the same success.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.