no clutch pressure

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
james-astra
Astra Model: Sri
Astra Colour: Emerald Green

no clutch pressure

Post by james-astra » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:38 am

I was driving along last week and my clutch dropped, after 8 hours of recovery we got to a Vuaxhall dealer and left it over the bank holiday weekend. 5 days later, got the car back, they'd replaced pretty much everything to do with the clutch system.

It was great for 150 miles, when I felt the clutch go again as I was driving around a roundabout. Got the car back home and dropped at my local Vauxhall as clutch pressure has definitely gone again. pretty gutting after not having the day for over 7 days!

Today the dealer tells me they are inundated and vauxhall do not have a solution that is holding!!! They also tell me they had a fleet of new police cars all with the same issue! sounds pretty widespread.

My astra is a 1.6 Diesel SRi 66 plate

Redman
Astra Model: Astra elite nav 150
Astra Colour: red

Re: no clutch pressure

Post by Redman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Hi
Last time I heard of this it was a case of too much end float in the engine.The crankshaft had worn into the engine block . The guy had to have a new engine . This is made worse when going around roundabouts as the flywheel and clutch assembly move.
His engine iirc was the 1.4T petrol, I notice yours is a. 1.6 diesel

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3207

trigger
Astra Model: Astra Sports Tourer Tech Line 1.6 Diesel
Astra Options: Front & Rear Parking Sensors and Solar Glass
Astra Colour: Sovereign Silver

Post by trigger » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:23 pm

Hi

My 16 Plate Astra Sports tourer went on way back from holiday in Cornwall 250 x miles from my destination. RAC managed to get it going again so we could get to Tewksbury and then home next day but on way to supermarket same again flat to the floor and could not get into gear. RAC towed to the dealer and it's been there ever since. 🤡

IMG_5717.JPG

53,411 miles on clock and it's Banjo'd

Astra K Sports Tourer - Tech Line -1.6 Diesel - Sat Nav, Solar Glass, Park Assist

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Post by AdieMcc » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:50 pm

Damm these Vauxhall's are reliable :lol:
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

Finston Pickle
Astra Model: 1.6 Petrol Turbo SRI Nav Sports tourer
Astra Options: AGR seats;Wntr Pk;Sp Whl;S/Rf;Tints;CD plyr;P/Sens
Astra Colour: Flip Chip Silver

Post by Finston Pickle » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:21 pm

These symptoms remind me of what happened to my son-in-law when his diesel car's dual mass flywheel/clutch failed - no clutch pressure, could not select/change gear.

From what we have discussed earlier on the forum, the Astra K SIDI petrol turbo engines use a dual mass flywheel clutch arrangement - even the automatic, I was told by the dealer.

Generally, from what I have read, they prove reliable on petrol engined cars (diesels not so reliable) - whether they will be as reliable in SIDI petrol turbo cars, which are a bit more diesel like - is a moot point.

Does it matter?

Probably not unless whatever arrangement they have adopted is as unreliable as the dual mass flywheel that failed on my son in law's two year old Kia Sportage at 50k miles (No warranty cover- wear and tear).

As it will probably take me eight years t.o get to 40k miles, hopefully it will make no difference to me. Could it be another emerging issue on the 1.4 petrol turbo cars? Hopefully not.
1.6 SIDI Petrol Turbo SRI Nav
AGR seats; Winter Pack; Spare Wheel; Sun Roof; Tinted Rear Windows; CD player; Parking Sensors

trigger

Post by trigger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:10 pm

Got my Astra back this morning after the dealer had replaced the clutch master cylinder even though the RAC advised that it appeared to be the slave cylinder that was the issue why did they not replace both? only did 61 miles then same issue clutch pedal stuck flat down had to be towed back into the Vauxhall dealer by the RAC. Before I collected the car I requested the dealer carry out a long test drive but they only drove it 2 x miles which is not long enough.

Ain't a clue when I will get the car back now I'm in a hire car again! 😥

Been in conversation previous and also now with Vauxhall via Facebook messenger but don't seem to be getting anywhere😥
Astra K Sports Tourer - Tech Line -1.6 Diesel - Sat Nav, Solar Glass, Park Assist

OnMi

Post by OnMi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm

@trigger: how many miles do you have on clock?
Opel Astra K Innovation (Elite) 1.4T Soft Broze, Winter pack, Tinted Rear Windows, Park pilot + cam

trigger

Post by trigger » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:32 pm

53,475 miles on the clock

trigger

Post by trigger » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Latest from the dealer is that they are going to replace the clutch slave cylinder and all other parts that are required when changing this. From what I have been told it is a big job and the gearbox had to come out.

Been told all the parts are on back order with no lead time so this shows just how much of a problem the the clutch issue is on the Astra K model.

😥

trigger

Post by trigger » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 pm

Got the car back from the dealer today and touch wood all appears ok so this time they replaced the clutch slave cylinder and associated parts and previously they replaced the master cylinder. Seems much better firmer pushback on the clutch pedal when releasing!

Anybody else who has or has had this issue?

Regards

Return to “Faults & Technical”