Parking sensor loudness

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Mike1

Parking sensor loudness

Post by Mike1 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone knows how to turn the volume down on the parking sensor. If I reverse with any windows open, people start looking around because they think it's a reversing horn going off. It's so loud I wish I'd never specified it now. Thank you in advance for your replies. Mike.

otj
Astra Model: Sports Tourer 1.4T M6 Innovation (Elite Nav)
Astra Options: AGR+leather+iLux+Nav (all except sunroof)
Astra Colour: Summit white

Re: Parking sensor loudness

Post by otj » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:47 pm

There's no way to turn the volume down. This is one of the stupidest and most annoying things in the car.
Opel Astra Sports Tourer Innovation (Elite) 1.4T M6, Summit White.

Ordered: Opel Insignia B Sports Tourer Innovation 1.6 CDTI A6, Abalone white, AGR premium

Old: Astra J Sports Tourer Sport (SRi) 1.4T M6 2013

astranaut
Astra Model: Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer.
Astra Options: Nav, Parking Pack, Winter Pack
Astra Colour: Lava Red.

Post by astranaut » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:00 pm

They are much quieter than the sound of hitting an immovable object!

I do agree they are not really needed if you have the rear camera but they do serve a useful purpose in my opinion.
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Power Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Steel spare wheel.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"

MisterKevster
Astra Model: 1.6 CDTI Sri Nav
Astra Options: 18" alloys
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by MisterKevster » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:14 pm

....it is a bit 'full on' isn't it!?
Was hoping for an answer to this one too...:(

astranaut
Astra Model: Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer.
Astra Options: Nav, Parking Pack, Winter Pack
Astra Colour: Lava Red.

Post by astranaut » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:23 pm

I was making a point, they are designed to be a parking aid and to help protect your car from damage. If they are not wanted and found to be annoying then with the absence of an on/off switch one can only put up with them or remove the fuse.Simples.
2016 Astra 1.6CDTi SRi Nav 136 Sports Tourer. Power Red. Driver Assistance Pack, Parking Pack, Winter Pack, Dark Tinted Rear Windows, Steel spare wheel.
"What a difference a 'K' makes"

Astra_dreamer
Astra Model: Enjoy, 1.4 100HP
Astra Options: Rear camera, front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Granite Gray

Post by Astra_dreamer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:15 pm

Mike1 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows how to turn the volume down on the parking sensor. If I reverse with any windows open, people start looking around because they think it's a reversing horn going off. It's so loud I wish I'd never specified it now...

Even stranger to others is that when they pass close to the car in the back, they hear these loud sounds ... I do not know if this is the case in all Astra K but in my car the rear parking sensors work constantly (when the ignition is on). Sometimes the front sensors also work and detect pedestrians passing in front of the car...
Last edited by Astra_dreamer on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paulch
Astra Model: SRi Nav 1.6T (200PS)
Astra Options: Parking pack, climate control, spare wheel, towbar
Astra Colour: Power Red

Post by Paulch » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Astra_dreamer wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:15 pm
Mike1 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:29 pm
Hi, I wonder if anyone knows how to turn the volume down on the parking sensor. If I reverse with any windows open, people start looking around because they think it's a reversing horn going off. It's so loud I wish I'd never specified it now...
Even stranger to others is that when they pass close to the car in the back, they hear these loud sounds ... I do not know if this is the case in all Astra K but in my car the rear parking sensors work constantly (when the ignition is on). Sometimes the front sensors also work and detect pedestrians passing in front of the car...
Hi

Mine is the same, stupid isn't it.

Cheers

Paul
SRI Nav 1.6T (200). Parking pack, Climate control, spare wheel and towbar. Power Red.

jt123
Astra Model: 2016 - 1.6 CDTI SRi
Astra Options: Front & Rear Parking Sensors, Powerflex Bar
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Post by jt123 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Glad I made the decision to have some aftermarket sensors fitted rather than order it with factory ones. They look OEM but at least I have adjustable volume, on/off switch for front and rear etc.

Astra_dreamer
Astra Model: Enjoy, 1.4 100HP
Astra Options: Rear camera, front and rear parking sensors
Astra Colour: Granite Gray

Post by Astra_dreamer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:14 pm

Paulch wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:19 pm
Hi

Mine is the same, stupid isn't it.

Cheers

Paul

Cheers Paul,

It's also a lot of fun when I get off the car (when the engine is running) and go back to pick up something from the trunk... or just to clear the rear window... it's a very "musical car" at all :D So, in order not to impress the people around, I close all the windows before I get out of the car.

Still, we have to admit that there is some benefit from this designer nonsense. In my previous car (Mazda 3) I had a SCBS and I was quite used to it. Here, to some extent, parking sensors prevent collisions with the front and rear car.

Cyril

Frostie36

Post by Frostie36 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:25 am

jt123 wrote:Glad I made the decision to have some aftermarket sensors fitted rather than order it with factory ones. They look OEM but at least I have adjustable volume, on/off switch for front and rear etc.
I like the factory fitted parking sensors and how the sound comes out of either the front or rear speakers and also uses the dash and intellilink screen to give a visual representation. I can also turn the park assist on or off so not sure why some are saying you can't turn the parking sensors off as I can by pressing the park assist button. Not being able to adjust the volume doesn't bother me, the sound is no louder than the aftermarket sensors I had fitted to my previous astra g.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Return to “Faults & Technical”