Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Stereo noise

57K views 50 replies 34 participants last post by  Crunchynut 
#1 ·
So, I've been driving my car all day and not a single problem. However, I've just got in the car and started up and the radio started making a noise as well as music playing.
It sounds like a speaker has blown, causing a buzzing sound which goes when the radio is muted. The radio sounds faint and even turned up to volume 20, it still seems faint. While the radio is muted and either indicator is operated, the buzzing sound comes back but the indicator sound is like it is distant?

I pressed the Onstar button and spoke to someone but said I had to book it into a dealer as they can't remotely access the infotainment system.

The buzzing sounds like it's coming from the two speakers ontop of the dash.

Turning the radio off made a 20 minute journey seem like forever!

Has anyone else had this yet or just me? It seems a bit of a let down having to take a week old car into the garage :/

#2 ·
S had the same once. I had driven to an appointment and had had the radio on with no problems. When I returned to the car after the meeting I turned the radio on and all I got was the noise you described, I tried switching stations, using usb instead of radio but the noise persisted. Got home, parked the car, called the dealer. I booked the car in to have it looked at. I went out to the car to get the infotainment book, switched the radio on and the noise had gone and has never happened again.
I wonder it if it was some type of external interference.

#3 ·
I don't the same, thought it might of been the usb or something but the radio still played up.
That's the problem I'm having, I don't wanna book the car in to get looked at and then it fixes as I'll look like a crazy person in the dealer haha

#4 ·
Try it again in the morning, if it's still playing up book it in. It's the equivalent of turning your computer off and on again, it may have been an electronic glitch. With the Astra you have to leave it for a while to totally power down, just switching it off and back on again isn't enough.

#5 ·
Can you press and hold the power button for 10 seconds in order to force a reboot (the temporary Skoda vehicle I have locks up and this is how I reset it instead of having to wait overnight)?

#6 ·
Hi had exactly the same issue yesterday, car is only 3 days old to me. Turned it on and static at a level volume through the speakers no matter what the source input.
Rang onstar in car (love this feature), and nothing flagged on the diagnostic report.
Told to book in with a dealer.

Luckily I turned her off came back 15 mins later and it was gone. One to keep an ear on I think!

#8 ·
Hi there, I have had the same problem today, whilst driving along I indicated to turn when a loud static noise began, along with a thumping sound like a broken speaker, the infontaine system was off at the time, I stopped checked all the indicator lights which where all working, I locked the car waited a few minutes then got back in. On trying to set off again the fault was still happening I turned on the radio system to dull the noise only to find every time I touched the screen the noise happened again. I rang the dealer as I was only in on Friday for a diagnostic as I have also had message flashing up and repeated ice warnings which turned the temp on the guage to 0 degrees he told me to bring the car in, however half way there it all stopped. They have told me to bring it in when its doing it again. I have only had the car 4 weeks and have been having problems since week one......

My car is the 1.4 Astra Energy.....Carbon Flash

#10 ·
Same thing just happened to my car as well!! Also no beeps on the parking sensors!

Parked up for the night hoping tomorrow clears the system, but I have video evidence for the dealership.

ApplePlay randomly drops as well no matter how many time I connect disconnect the USB it won't come back on until it feels like it.

Has anyone had anything looked at/fixed?

#11 ·
Just happened to me yesterday, also fixed itself.

Any info about this? Also the automatic lights didnt switcg the lights off on the sun when this was happening.

#12 ·
It has happened to me 3 times. The 3rd time I was lucky enough to be able to go to the dealer in order to have someone listen to it rather than trying to explain how it sounded. I was told that at 99,9% of the times it would get fixed by itself if I switched of for 10 minutes or more.

They raised an issue and I have been told that they are aware of the problem and they are working on a software upgrade that is going to be available by September 16'...

#14 ·
Hi, I have had the same problem a few times now, I've had the car since December 15 and it's happened approx 8 times, the first time it took ages to go away, locking the car and unlocking, eventually it fixed when the car alarm was set off, I have not told the dealership as I don't think they would be that interested as I have other problems anyway, since day 1 with this car the stereo volume knob has not worked so I can only use the steering wheel controls, very frustrating! Been told this cannot be fixed until an update in September after they had the car on 4 separate occasions to find the problem.
And then today I have tried the aux cable for the first time to find that it only plays through the left speakers, tried 3 phones and 3 cables and there all the same so I'm convinced it's the car! Again!
I like the technology when it works but can u imagine having these problems when the car is older and on the second hand market, when u can't just go out and buy a new stereo! We're kind of ok as we have the warranty, although the cars don't work perfect during this time!
It's a shame but they are making these cars way to complicated now, gone are the days of home repairs, :(
My next car will be a used one with old technology which can be repaired or replaced without an expensive dealership bill!!!
I hope that isn't too much of a rant cause I really could go on more lol. ( the brakes, suspension)

#15 ·
Go ahead and tell us. The solution is in buying full 5 year warranty and selling the car after 5 years, imo.
Btw this problem didnt happen to me again. But it might come again.

#16 ·
I think the solution for 'me' is to buy a car 1-2 years old, let somebody buy it for full price, let them have all the faults repaired with the warranty, and then it comes on the second hand market with no faults, people I know who do this generally have some good years out of the car with no problems, and I think that's a better deal than buying it new with faults,
i think I'll be trying that when I next shop for a car :)

#17 ·
Just to say that this same problem happened to me. Fortunately only on a five minute drive to the supermarket but very strange to even hear the distortion over the indicator tones. Problem was gone by the time I was done but has left me concerned anyway. Would be especially annoying if it happened on the motorway or at the start of a long trip.

Apart from that not one issue with the car at all so not too bad for a new model I suppose.

Much prefer to have an annoyance like this rather than the passenger side brake pedal issue we had with our c3 picasso!

#18 ·
do I hold the record for a fault developing - the day after I got it? It wasn't this though - Air Bag system reporting a fault which turned out to be a loose wire which needed a special clip to be sent from Germany. Car was off the road a week and half! Half the time to determine the fault and the other half waiting on the clip. I can understand the intermittent faults occurring and resetting themselves though. Had that with the traffic sign system suddenly not working, and getting a message that the rear camera wasn't working (it clearly was). It was fine next time and touch wood, been fine since. Hope the stereo noise gets sorted for everyone.

#20 ·
We've had our Astra since the end of Jan & seem also to have had no end of problems!!
This one being a new one to us, but low & behold it's happened twice in the last 3 days!!! I have booked it into the dealership tomorrow, but did call by on Sunday to let the salesman hear it. Pleased I did as it hasn't done it today. However I did record it on video on my phone so have something to show the service department tomorrow!!

#21 ·
I had a problem with my new 16 plate Astra today. Took the wife into town, put car in garage on my return, no problems when I put it away. Two hours later, took car out of garage, buzzing noise from radio on all channels, even louder when indicators turned on and deafeningly loud when park assist cut in. Even someone walking on the other side of the road looked over as it was so loud. Rang dealer but still waiting for them to call back over an hour and a half later !! Looking at the previous comments I will try it again tomorrow and see if it has cleared. Hope this is not a sign of things to come as car has only done 4,500 miles and is a let down after having five brand new VW Golfs over a few years. I regret changing to the Astra already. Very disappointing car. Wil be going back to VW in 18 months time.

#22 ·
Further to my previous post, I have just been out to the garage, removed car, tried radio, indicators and park assist........and everything is back to normal and fine !!!!!!! Dealer still hasn't bothered ringing me back yet though. Obviously happy to sell a top of the range car and not interested thereafter.

#26 ·
Had mine in Vauxhall a few days ago. There is no update for my radio which is non-nav model but they did reconfigure the radio settings and software with the computer. There were some early models which were not configured correctly. They have asked me to monitor the situation and see how all goes... The next step would be to replace the radio modual behind the dash...
All seemes ok at the moment... No problems and all under warranty...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.