Dexos 1 Generation 2 Oil for Turbo 1.4 Astra K

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
alessio berogna

Re: Dexos 1 Generation 2 Oil for Turbo 1.4 Astra K

Post by alessio berogna » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Grosseto, Monte Argentario. I am a Volvo Penta technician, trust me, pretend turbocharger replacement. I have seen autoignited 16liter diesel engine by turbocharger damaged by previous piston fail... A 16liter engine at 5000rpm is not good to see... I run away and wait for engine oil finish...

Cavy

Post by Cavy » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Little bit far from me, I live near Brescia. I known Penta (and Deutz) engines in my previous job. Coming on topic, I don't know what will arrive in the box, if only the naked engine or a complete engine with turbo, injection etc.. At this point I don't know if Opel wants to risk another engine replacement saving the cost of a turbocharger.. anyway..
Astra ST Innovation 1.4 T 150 CV, coconut, 18" blacked

Cavy

Post by Cavy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:47 am

This morning car is came back home. New engine and everything like turbo, injection etc. are my old ones, and the only thing I know is that I had a broken piston. End. No pictures, no documents, not a piece of paper with written something about the fault and the replacement. Like they have replaced a light bulb, but in 2 months..

oastra

Post by oastra » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:09 pm

You should have a paper about what they have done, at least for car history !
OastrA

Cavy

Post by Cavy » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 pm

This afternoon I have called the workshop, and the guy told me that something will arrive when the warranty procedure will be closed between them and Opel.

Maauru
Astra Model: Dynamic 1.4T 150PS AT6
Astra Options: Automatic Climate Control, Winter Pack 1

Post by Maauru » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:36 pm

I went for yearly service today with 1.4T AT6. Year before Dexos2 was used but I wasn't that worried about it because car is equipped with automatic transmission and they should be more or less safe from LSPI. Dexos1 Gen2 wasn't widely available last year when I did service so had no issues with Dexos2 being used.
Service used Dexos 1 Gen 2 and I asked if they can check ECU SW update as "apparently there is one available as I read on internet". They did connect to ECU, detected that actually update is available and than updated ECU SW.
I did aprox. 50km after service mixed on highway and city drive.

Well, car does seem smoother than before. I had no problems before but it just feel kind of smoother now. Also, it feel that gearbox change gears much smoother than before although AT6 in Astra is IMHO in general very sooth gearbox when it come to changing gears.
I doubt that Dexos1 Gen2 vs Dexos2 can make any noticeable difference in engine smoothness (both are 5W30 fully synthetic oils and don't think there is any significant difference except that additional LSPI protection).
So, most likely this much smoother engine work and AT shifting come from updated ECU SW.
Or maybe it is just placebo effect :)

However, car came heated to operating temperature to service and was still warm when service finished so have no idea if there is any difference when engine is cold. I will see that next few days

Cavy

Post by Cavy » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:15 pm

Mine has auto transmission too, but the piston have been broken down like others. I don't know how previous owner drove it, but I think always in manual and at low rpm (and lspi loves it) because gasoline consumption was 7 l/100 km when I bought it. I was on 8.5 l/100 km and, after 800 km, a piston fault. Now I don't remember the feeling with car, cause I used it only 3 weeks and it has been almost 2 months in workshop :| . It's completely again a new car and I can't find some differences between before and now. When I will go to take the documentation of the replacement, I will ask again to check the ECU update, because the guy didn't know it..

geekonthepc
Astra Model: Tech Line Nav 1.4T
Astra Options: Winter pack, OnStar
Astra Colour: Blue

Post by geekonthepc » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Don’t know if this will be useful information to anyone but I had my new factory order 1.4T 125 delivered in late March 2018. The manual now specifically states using Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil when servicing so I’m guessing that means my car will have Dexos 1 Gen 2.

Good to see they’ve updated the documentation though.

oastra

Post by oastra » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:55 am

Tx
OastrA

Cavy

Post by Cavy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:49 pm

I was waiting that, but the Italian digital edition is still my17 version. Today called me Opel customer center asking me about the car. I've told for now everything is ok with engine, but when I asked them about the documents not in my hands, they didn't know why.. I have to call back when workshop will give me something.

Return to “Faults & Technical”