Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner

Dexos 1 Generation 2 Oil for Turbo 1.4 Astra K

226K views 483 replies 74 participants last post by  Boroboy 
#1 ·
Good Morning All,

Bulletin just been released by Vauxhall advising that for Turbocharged Direct Injection Engines there is a certain risk for Stochastic Pre Ignition (SPI). This SPI causes strong pressure peaks in the combustion chamber which may harm the piston ring lands.

Fault:

Sporadic metallic noise from combustion chamber, sometimes with short loss of power. Occasionally fault code 'P0300 Engine Misfire' is stored but not all the time. Engine Light might not even come on when power loss suffered. This may be the source of the engine splutter / short loss of power people are experiencing in 1.4 Turbo.

Affected Models:

Amongst the affected models are the two versions of the 1.4 Turbo in the Astra K (B14XFL/T RPO code LE1 and LE2). I have the 150ps 1.4 Turbo Astra K which is RPO code LE2.

Resolution:

Vauxhall/Opel/GM have developed a new engine Oil - Dexos 1, Generation 2 to reduce the risk of this fault happening. This new Oil is essential to be used for Astra K 1.4 Turbo. However up until this point only Dexos 2 has been available. The new Oil will be released in the final week of April 2017. The part number is: 95599877 which comes in a 5 litre container, larger sizes will be available at a later date. Model Year 2017 cars are shipped with the new oil in already.

In the meantime the bulletin states GM Dexos 2 MUST be used until Dexo 1, Gen 2 becomes available.

Needless to say I shall be having an Oil & Filter change last week of April and have already placed an order at work for the new oil.

Hope people find this useful :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Very interesting.

Should it cure all the problems with 1.4T?

I think people with MY17.5 have problems with 1.4T aswell, but it should have new oil already?

#6 ·
No warranty on oil. However it does raise an interesting question.

As this isn't any fault of the customers that non-optimum oil has been used for the engine, who covers the cost of any resulting engine damage or failure? I can only presume Vauxhall will.

Bulletin number is DACT4396 released on 31/03/2017.

#9 ·
Well,the plot thickens...Vauxhall head office haven't got a clue about any new oil ??? What sort of people are running this show ??
Phoned local pentagon and gave them the part number and it's a good one,£53 they said...I'm not paying for this oil,I said. You change it for free. I've just paid £150 for service couple of months ago. There reply was until Vauxhall bring a rework out they won't do it for free.

#10 ·
AdieMcc said:
Well,the plot thickens...Vauxhall head office haven't got a clue about any new oil ??? What sort of people are running this show ??
Phoned local pentagon and gave them the part number and it's a good one,£53 they said...I'm not paying for this oil,I said. You change it for free. I've just paid £150 for service couple of months ago. There reply was until Vauxhall bring a rework out they won't do it for free.
There is very little point ringing Vauxhall Customer Care on this issue as they are just call centre staff with limited technical knowledge. In addition they don't have access to the bulletin system like we do in the dealerships.

£53 sounds about right for the oil. The part number is correct, however there are over 1,000 orders already in place but no oil available until end of April - keep this in mind.

As for refunds of previous services, etc - well that simply won't happen. Oil is a serviceable component and costs are to the customer unless replaced as part of a warranty claim. Dexos 2 won't damage the engine but it clearly is not optimal. Obviously if you break down in the warranty period the repair will be covered if you've had the vehicle serviced, even if it is with Dexos 2.

Although it does shock me Vauxhall/Opel/GM released a car without the correct oil even produced for it. I've been driving around in this car for a year and a half with oil that clearly is not optimal for the engine in the car :?

#14 ·
Well we can only imagine the damage being caused with the wrong oil. I'm getting this metallic noise going up hill and my engine code is the same as listed. If they've made an oil surly there'll be a recall to change the oil ?? It will end up costing them in the long run.

#15 ·
Im also wondering in which condition must be mine engine after 21000km of LSPI and stuttering... Even if they change the oil, there has to be some damage already done..

#16 ·
Dave Cooke said:
Just for clarity, does this affect the 1.0T?
Can you Private Message me your chassis or reg? I'll check which engine you have.

It does also affect the B10XFT/L engines which I believe are the 1.0 Turbo's but I'll have to check. It also affects the B20NHT and the B15XFT (which I believe is in the new Crossland car).

#18 ·
ArcanumFox said:
Affected Models:

Amongst the affected models are the two versions of the 1.4 Turbo in the Astra K (B14XFL/T RPO code LE1 and LE2). I have the 150ps 1.4 Turbo Astra K which is RPO code LE2.

Hope people find this useful :)
I think I have the same engine, and yes I felt some power loss few times. I received my car at 22.12.2016.
Do you think the hungarian Opel services know about this problem and this new Dexos oil? Should I ask for the change? I got 4400km in it so far.

#23 ·
ArcanumFox said:
SMS2 said:
I checked with local garage.

They said no letter official received by them and i should read the manual. Wtf...
It isn't a recall. It's a technical bulletin advising garages of what oil to use in the future and why. So you won't be receiving any letter or official recall on this.
I know...
I gave them the bulletin no, but they hide behind the manual saying that dexos 2 ia the good one... even if i told them that is released lask week...

I will wait 1-2 weeks...

#24 ·
Thinking about this, I am amazed!

These SIDI engines have been around for ten years+ - Mazda and Ford amongst others.

Do the Opel/VX engineers not go to SAE co-operative engineering forums (as they do in Aerospace) so best practice and regulation development are discussed between peers? Did Opel use the same oil as others have used? Is everyone in a fix?

#25 ·
Hi All
Remember this is not just a vx issue it is a problem for all small turbo charged petrol direct fuel injection engines, who ever makes them. The problem the oil companies and the car engine manufacturers have is some additives in the oil detonate under the high pressures, or that is what they believe is happening. These additives all do a job ie thicken the oil when warm , neutralise acids created by combustion, keep carbon deposits suspended. They will have to have found a suitable replacement for the additive they have removed.

#26 ·
Finston Pickle said:
Thinking about this, I am amazed!

These SIDI engines have been around for ten years+ - Mazda and Ford amongst others.

Do the Opel/VX engineers not go to SAE co-operative engineering forums (as they do in Aerospace) so best practice and regulation development are discussed between peers? Did Opel use the same oil as others have used? Is everyone in a fix?
Well said, Finston!

They do, indeed, co-operate in aerospace, that was formerly the cornerstone of one my jobs!! Not quite sure how this particular issue could have arisen and I'm as amazed as you are! :eek: :shock: :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.