Transmission service and Engine power reduced warnings

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Transmission service and Engine power reduced warnings

Post by astraowner » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:15 pm

Mbpc2020 wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:04 pm
my car is manual, how do you know if it slips ?
It will be a little like when you try to accelerate on ice.

Engine revs will go up, without the speed of the car increasing.

Strange that it says to service the transmission, as far as i know there are no sensors in the transmission to warn the car of any impending problems.

Maybe....It wil give you this warning if the clutch has slipped enough times in a given timeframe.

Have only had the "Engine power reduced" and a bong sound, when i accidentally hit the clutch pedal together with the accelerator.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Mbpc2020

Post by Mbpc2020 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:04 pm

What would your advice be also, I can’t afford to spend too much on it and appreciate everyone’s input. Nice to know I’m not alone

IntellilinkMods

Post by IntellilinkMods » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Not sure where you're based, but we would be able to carry out an ECM update for you, there's a known issue on some ECM calibrations to be hyper-sensitive to clutch slip.

Give us a message if needs be, we can diagnose it for you at a fraction of the dealers costs.
IntellilinkMods.co.uk - Retrofits, diagnostics, custom calibrations, flashing, programming and more.

Mbpc2020

Post by Mbpc2020 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm

I am based in daventry in Northamptonshire, I took to Halfords and they said the code that came up was clutch slip they have deleted it but why would it do this ?

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Post by astraowner » Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:22 pm

Mbpc2020 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm
I am based in daventry in Northamptonshire, I took to Halfords and they said the code that came up was clutch slip they have deleted it but why would it do this ?
Just guessing here.

Maybe it was because your clutch slipped :lol: :lol: :lol:
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Bogbody

Post by Bogbody » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Mbpc2020 wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:48 pm
I have to assume that you dont know what "clutch slip" means.
Such jargon is common alas. I'll try to explain please dont be offended if it doesn't come accros correctly.
In essense it means the power from the engine is'nt being sent to the front wheels correctly because a part known as a "clutch" is'nt working properly.
The engine (once running) spins all the time, faster or slower as you press the accelerator producing more or less power.
The "clutch" allows this power to be sent to the wheels in a controled manner via a flywheel and gearbox. Its off or on with some give.
If the clutch is "slipping" then its not gripping the flywheel properly and has too much "give".
This can be caused by wear or a fault.
In this case (as intellimods suggest) the cars software could be miss-identifying normal operation as a fault.
You need someone to look at it and explain properly whats happening.
Alas a lot of places will pick up on your lack of knowledge and attempt to mug your wallet.

Mbpc2020

Post by Mbpc2020 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 pm

yeah I had no idea what it mean so I do appreciate the advice. I need to get it looked at but kwik fit refused. but Halfords put it on the machine for free and it did state it was a slip, however touch wood I've not had it come up since.