Weird fuel gauge readings 1.6 Cdti Sri 136bhp

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
Jennyjenjen1973

Weird fuel gauge readings 1.6 Cdti Sri 136bhp

Post by Jennyjenjen1973 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Hi
Apologies if I’ve missed thread on this - trying to do some research before phoning Vauxhall tomorrow morning.
My diesel 16 plate, three weeks out of warranty, has seriously dodgy fuel/gauge fault as of today.
After pulling over for coffee this morning, and running fan with engine off for maybe ten mins before getting back on road, I noticed fuel tank gauge showed I’d used quarter of a tank in five miles.
Pulled over on hard shoulder. No sign of fuel leak. No smell of fuel leak.
Breakdown service got me home. (I was 60 miles away on motorway and didn’t fancy drive if it was going to cut out on me at 70mph)
I then went to top up fuel - and fuel cap released massive hiss and noticeable puff of vapour.
Then delivery of fuel kept cutting out as if tank was full. I put in ten quid worth, and tank now shows as full - despite meter reading being about 40 quid worth short of being full.
I do a lot of driving and gauges made sense up until I stopped for that coffee then haywire. Anyone else any experience of this?
It was in for the clutch/brake recall maybe six weeks ago.
Grateful for any advice!

astraowner
Astra Model: 2016 Astra K 1.6 110HP
Astra Options: Lane assist, dual zone Climate Control.
Astra Colour: Asteroid Grey

Re: Weird fuel gauge readings 1.6 Cdti Sri 136bhp

Post by astraowner » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 am

My dad once lost the fuel cap to his (alot older than the astra) car and bought a generic one that fit.

Filled up the tank and drove off, only to find that after a lot less than he expected, the tank was empty.

Walked to nearest petrol station and borrowed a can and bought 5 liters.

When he came back, and took the filler cap off, it gave a massive sucking noise.

Turned out that in the old filler cap there were a venting hole where air could get into the tank and replace the fuel that was used and the new filler cap did not.

Drilled a small hole in the filler cap and problem was gone.

Maybe the vent hole on your car (Have no idea where it would be located though) has been blocked and what you experience is the same as my dad did.
2016 Astra K 110HP, Opel Eye camera, front and rear parking sensors, dual zone climate control and heated front seats, sight and light pack.

Matt9817
Astra Model: SRi
Astra Options: Parking Pack
Astra Colour: Carbon Flash

Re: Weird fuel gauge readings 1.6 Cdti Sri 136bhp

Post by Matt9817 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:19 pm

astraowner wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 am
My dad once lost the fuel cap to his (alot older than the astra) car and bought a generic one that fit.

Filled up the tank and drove off, only to find that after a lot less than he expected, the tank was empty.

Walked to nearest petrol station and borrowed a can and bought 5 liters.

When he came back, and took the filler cap off, it gave a massive sucking noise.

Turned out that in the old filler cap there were a venting hole where air could get into the tank and replace the fuel that was used and the new filler cap did not.

Drilled a small hole in the filler cap and problem was gone.

Maybe the vent hole on your car (Have no idea where it would be located though) has been blocked and what you experience is the same as my dad did.
I second this.
Had a similar problem with a mate's golf.

Return to “Faults & Technical”