Car keeps pulling left

Faults and Technical chat for the Vauxhall Astra K
24/mk 7
Astra Model: 1.6t 200s/s
Astra Colour: Granite grey

Re: Car keeps pulling left

Post by 24/mk 7 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:17 am

Good move even if they deem the fault is yours so what ? At least you will know what is wrong with the steering set up and what u need to do to rectify it, don't sugar coat the issue because that will lead them to possibly investigate the wrong area be truthful about the cause and forget the warranty route that doesn't cover human involvement.Sorry to be blunt but if they know the real cause that area will be stripped down and checked and a solution offered....Bill

Sp32
Astra Model: 1.6 Biturbo
Astra Options: Elite
Astra Colour: Granite Grey

Post by Sp32 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:26 pm

24/mk 7 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:17 am
Good move even if they deem the fault is yours so what ? At least you will know what is wrong with the steering set up and what u need to do to rectify it, don't sugar coat the issue because that will lead them to possibly investigate the wrong area be truthful about the cause and forget the warranty route that doesn't cover human involvement.Sorry to be blunt but if they know the real cause that area will be stripped down and checked and a solution offered....Bill
Yeah good advice, I figured it'd be pretty obvious if it was caused by myself unless it was an electronic malfunction, and yeah, sadly at this point £99 is not a bad price to find out what is the actual cause.

Thank you my friend, will post on monday with the verdict and hopefully the resolution! :-)

Sp32

Post by Sp32 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:35 pm

I took it to vauxhall this morning and had a lift waiting for me after I dropped it off but after entering and explaining my situation I was left with a lot of doubt in regards to them finding and fixing the fault, as I had already been advised their tracking machines weren't good at wellingborough or northampton branches which is why I spoke to a floor manager and took it to the place where vauxhall send their cars, so I had to ring up the garage I had the tracking done on friday to hand the phone over to explain the tracking was done, as they were demanding a print out which I didn't have, regardless the tracking was still aligned on friday for like the 5th time in past few months..

They basically said they'd check for a buckled wheel or broken tie rod, I already know it's not a tie rod unless it's a non visible fault until dismantled and the pull to the left is severely reduced after the garage on friday inspected it even though it's still present.

but vauxhall want £99 for the first hour which was undeniable after I told them I had hit a curb, it was instantly definitely 100% not a manufacturers fault, which is silly because it could still be and me hitting the curb could be unconnected, however that is extremely unlikely but I didn't like the attitude, they said I could go wait over in the corner and think about it but the fact is the other garage had the car for hours and couldn't find the fault and I need vauxhall to find it within 1 hour or it's more than £99.. And I'm guessing it'd take them 20 minutes putting the car on the ramp and filing the paperwork..

Will try and swap the wheels around at some point and see if it makes it worse, if it does then I'm going to blindly assume it's a wheel, whether right or wrong I don't know what else to think.

AdieMcc
Astra Model: Astra K 1.4T 150
Astra Options: Reversing sensors
Astra Colour: Black

Post by AdieMcc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:16 pm

Could be much deeper...what about the steering rack?
Astra K 1.4T 150 Nav. Black,18" wheels, sensors front/back, heated seats/steering wheel, shark fin aerial, washed every 2 days :D

Sp32

Post by Sp32 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Don't know, not sure if the garage on friday looked at that or not, I don't think they unscrewed stuff and examined it, just looked at what was visible, obviously don't know and will have to investigate, I know like 3 different people who can do more than the average thing with cars so I have help on hand, it's just they don't know what to look for apart from the obvious, it's so subtle now it really is only noticeable if I am on a straight flattish road which there doesn't seem to be many of, not for long anyway..

I was told if it was a buckled wheel I wouldn't notice if it it was put on the back two, and that there would be vibrations in the steering wheel but then if it was such a tiny buckle? I don't know.

I'll mention the steering rack to the next person I can persuade to have a gander lol, cheers.

24/mk 7
Astra Model: 1.6t 200s/s
Astra Colour: Granite grey

Post by 24/mk 7 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:07 pm

When I took my car for a test drive (8200 miles on the clock) I asked the arnold clark rep who came out with me if I could give it the beans?) On doing so heard a drumming noise resonating in the car that dissappeared below 70 there was no massive pull to the left and the car drove straight so I asked if a tech would check it over,so on picking the car up I was told it was the aftermarket tyres on the front . Having been payed I duly forked out 200 bangers for new turanzas on the front ,the tyre fitter called me over to the balancer and said watch this ,Christ a big dent in the wheel on the left and as smaller one on the opposite wheel so much for after market tyres !!!!!! So kicked up a stink and arnold clark gave me the back wheels from a similar aged car on the forcourt and half my tyre money back after swapping the new tyres over.......the moral of this story go to a" Tom Farmer " tyre fitters or National to get tyres fitted they won't lie to you and deffo try your back ones on the front cause a small kink can cause problems p.s.the car only ran straight and smooth until 70 was reached by the humungus amount of stick on weights that had been used to compensate for the imbalance looked like somebugger had glued a bar of dairy milk to the inside of my wheel ...try the wheel swap like you said mate might be your answer keep us updated....Bill

CharlieMike

Post by CharlieMike » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 am

I had an Astra J years ago which gave me no end of problems with alignment/tracking. I tried several different places to get alignment done. No joy.

Eventually I went to the "Wheel Alignment Centre" in Southampton and the guy there spotted the issue straight away. First thing he did was measure the tyre tread and noted that there was 1mm difference on the front tyres. He checked alignment on his machine but thought it wouldn't solve the issue until the tyres were swapped. A couple of months later I replaced those tyres at a different garage (no wheel alignment done there) and problem solved.

(I'm not affiliated with the Wheel Alignment Centre in any way. Just a happy customer)

Sp32

Post by Sp32 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm

24/mk 7 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:07 pm
When I took my car for a test drive (8200 miles on the clock) I asked the arnold clark rep who came out with me if I could give it the beans?) On doing so heard a drumming noise resonating in the car that dissappeared below 70 there was no massive pull to the left and the car drove straight so I asked if a tech would check it over,so on picking the car up I was told it was the aftermarket tyres on the front . Having been payed I duly forked out 200 bangers for new turanzas on the front ,the tyre fitter called me over to the balancer and said watch this ,Christ a big dent in the wheel on the left and as smaller one on the opposite wheel so much for after market tyres !!!!!! So kicked up a stink and arnold clark gave me the back wheels from a similar aged car on the forcourt and half my tyre money back after swapping the new tyres over.......the moral of this story go to a" Tom Farmer " tyre fitters or National to get tyres fitted they won't lie to you and deffo try your back ones on the front cause a small kink can cause problems p.s.the car only ran straight and smooth until 70 was reached by the humungus amount of stick on weights that had been used to compensate for the imbalance looked like somebugger had glued a bar of dairy milk to the inside of my wheel ...try the wheel swap like you said mate might be your answer keep us updated....Bill
Pmsl, yeah sounds like quite the ordeal, I took the left wheels off and swapped them tested swapped again and tested and I couldn't notice any difference so now I am ruling out buying another wheel to test, we also jacked the car up and placed a screwdriver head on a box against the wheel, then we spun the wheel to see if it indicated any dents or whatever but that looked like it spun perfectly without any bigger/smaller gaps between the screwdriver and wheel.
CharlieMike wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 am
I had an Astra J years ago which gave me no end of problems with alignment/tracking. I tried several different places to get alignment done. No joy.

Eventually I went to the "Wheel Alignment Centre" in Southampton and the guy there spotted the issue straight away. First thing he did was measure the tyre tread and noted that there was 1mm difference on the front tyres. He checked alignment on his machine but thought it wouldn't solve the issue until the tyres were swapped. A couple of months later I replaced those tyres at a different garage (no wheel alignment done there) and problem solved.

(I'm not affiliated with the Wheel Alignment Centre in any way. Just a happy customer)
I'd like it to be a tyre to blame.. But the garage I took it to on Friday tested two brand new tyres on the front wheels and said it still happened, at one point they said it started to pull the other way? Not sure if that was with their new tyres on or if that was swapping my left wheels with the right ones, I haven't found the car to ever pull right though, always left and the tyre feels different one side to the other like one side is smoother and the other isn't as much so it's being dragged along the road whilst driving. (but tracking "everything is in the green")

So far I've spent around £100 or so and got absolutely no where, my friend has said if I start replacing things (that look okay but might not be) then each time I'm going to have to have the tracking done again, so basically I feel like it's going to be around £1000 to fix onwards? This is astronomical, I can't believe I've managed to damage the car so much by driving up some dodgey looking curb at around 5-10mph.

I don't know if I'm supposed to just save up like £2000 and take it to vauxhall to fix, at £99 an hour + parts it's going to cost around that much I'm guessing, no way I can afford that, I still owe half the money to the finance company for the vehicle. Not only that both of the vauxhalls near me don't do the tracking at their places as they will say it's "not very good", so yeah..

Instead of swapping the front left with rear left maybe I should have swapped the left wheels with the right wheels, don't know.. Feel kinda hopeless at the moment.

Sp32

Post by Sp32 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm

Update: Just spoken to my friend who is the brother of a vauxhall floor manager! lol, just been told that it has to be recalibrated which the independent garage wouldn't have been able to do as it has to be a main vauxhall dealership.

Was told they are quite booked up but will hopefully be in within a couple of weeks, praying it is something simple like this but honestly I'm expecting to pay at least £500 for repairs + labour with a bent somethingamabob-bone.

Return to “Faults & Technical”