Astra Model: Astra K
Astra Colour: Cosmic Gray

Re: Opel Astra K Sports Tourer 1.4T

Post by jncevcosta » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm

FiestaRed wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:15 pm
iavorid wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:18 pm
What do you reccon - ceramic coat will be the better option?
I wonder - do you need to strip it in a year or so before reapplying the coating again?
If so, I think the better option is to have the wax instead, as it wears off in few months and the treatment is simpler (not that demanding).
I found it hard to believe at the time, but when I collected my new ST a few weeks ago, the dealership told me they had applied ceramic coating although I'd turned down the option when I ordered the car.

Having read a little bit about ceramic coating since then, in general, and if applied correctly, the coating should last for about 18 months. I also asked on the Detailing World forum how to maintain the coating and the main replies from a couple of manufacturers was simply wash and dry but not apply anything else over the top of the coating.
It seems they have already responded well. According to my friend who is going to apply the duration of the ceramic protection always depends on the number of washes that is done to the car as if it is a car that has a garage or that is in the street. :mrgreen:

In my case, as the car only walks on weekends and is always in the garage it says that it can last about 2 years but that with the passage of time it will tell me how is the protection and when it is necessary to renew that it treats of this.

iavorid
Astra Model: MY2018 1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation
Astra Options: Navi 900, WP1, Rear cam, Versitility pack, keyless
Astra Colour: Cosmic Grey

Post by iavorid » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 am

Ok, lets consider this - the ceramic coating will wear off anyways, doesn't really matter if in 1,5 yars or 2 or 3, right (not discussing costs here)?
In any case we will have to renew it in some time. What then? Do you need to strip it off the paint - if so with what? It is very hard and all, so I am guessing a chemical must be used, which can possibly deteriorate the clearcoating of the paint. In the long term, isn't it better to stick to the organic wax, which wears off in few months with water only. Once the water stops making a big droplets on the body - it's time to rewax.
Besides, a good Chemical Brothers wax is about 4 times less expensive, application is easier and faster, protection (if done correctly) is about the same I am guessing.
1.4T 150 AT6 ST Innovation in Cosmic Grey

jncevcosta

Post by jncevcosta » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:05 am

iavorid wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:20 am
Ok, lets consider this - the ceramic coating will wear off anyways, doesn't really matter if in 1,5 yars or 2 or 3, right (not discussing costs here)?
In any case we will have to renew it in some time. What then? Do you need to strip it off the paint - if so with what? It is very hard and all, so I am guessing a chemical must be used, which can possibly deteriorate the clearcoating of the paint. In the long term, isn't it better to stick to the organic wax, which wears off in few months with water only. Once the water stops making a big droplets on the body - it's time to rewax.
Besides, a good Chemical Brothers wax is about 4 times less expensive, application is easier and faster, protection (if done correctly) is about the same I am guessing.
It is a good question. When summer time comes before applying the ceramic protection I will raise this question. If you see that you then have to walk with chemicals to remove what is missing before applying the new layer, then it goes even with wax. :)

iavorid

Post by iavorid » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Nah, I think wax is fine to overlap with older layers (if you don't care what the outcome will be), but otherwise organic wax wears off with water and time, no special chemicals need apply. I've actually applied secondary was over an old one (that may or may not have already fallen :D ) - no issues.
But ceramic coating is a different story - you asking a professional may shed some light. Please do let us know what the reply is, curious to know.

jncevcosta

Post by jncevcosta » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:41 pm

iavorid wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:38 pm
Nah, I think wax is fine to overlap with older layers (if you don't care what the outcome will be), but otherwise organic wax wears off with water and time, no special chemicals need apply. I've actually applied secondary was over an old one (that may or may not have already fallen :D ) - no issues.
But ceramic coating is a different story - you asking a professional may shed some light. Please do let us know what the reply is, curious to know.
I have now spoken with my colleague in the area of automobile detail and he says that when it is necessary to reapply it is not necessary to remove what is left of the other protection.

If you really want to remove it, you need to sand and polish the paint.

iavorid

Post by iavorid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 am

That is very useful info mate, thanks for the assistance. Its in my head now to apply ceramic coating instead of wax. :D I'll let some time pass to make up my mind. Since we both have the same coloured tourers, maybe we can do an experiment - you'll apply the coating as you wanted and I'll apply the wax, wait for 6 months and compare the results. Be it yours is waaay better looked after than mine is... :D

jncevcosta

Post by jncevcosta » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:33 am

iavorid wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:42 am
That is very useful info mate, thanks for the assistance. Its in my head now to apply ceramic coating instead of wax. :D I'll let some time pass to make up my mind. Since we both have the same coloured tourers, maybe we can do an experiment - you'll apply the coating as you wanted and I'll apply the wax, wait for 6 months and compare the results. Be it yours is waaay better looked after than mine is... :D

Deal :mrgreen:

This weekend was a day of bathing the car and after going to take some photos: D

Before Washing:

Here once the rim has been washed I applied the decontaminant

I finished it at night and could not take photos. The next day I went for a little trip with her and was soon full of dust :(

In this photo you can see well the damage caused by the fires in Monção in October last year. :(

iavorid

Post by iavorid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 pm

Ok, lets set some ground rules here :D no professional photography!
Jokes aside, apart from the burnt woods, every photo of the Astra looks amazing. All will agree with me - better than the brouchures even.
Since you're in Portugal, you have some nice weather to work with. It's still winter here and the earliest I can do the procedures is March. So I am in for a wait. ;)
P.S. my personal favorite is the last one from your post!

jncevcosta

Post by jncevcosta » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 am

iavorid wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:04 pm
Ok, lets set some ground rules here :D no professional photography!
Jokes aside, apart from the burnt woods, every photo of the Astra looks amazing. All will agree with me - better than the brouchures even.
Since you're in Portugal, you have some nice weather to work with. It's still winter here and the earliest I can do the procedures is March. So I am in for a wait. ;)
P.S. my personal favorite is the last one from your post!
I am far from being a professional in the field of photography. I would love to be a professional photographer, but unfortunately in Portugal there are no great opportunities in this area.

I'm a geocaching lover, so I always use it whenever I go out to look for some caches to take pictures of various things and the astra is no exception.

Thanks for the comments. :mrgreen:

iavorid

Post by iavorid » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:18 am

jncevcosta wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 am
I am far from being a professional in the field of photography. I would love to be a professional photographer, but unfortunately in Portugal there are no great opportunities in this area.

I'm a geocaching lover, so I always use it whenever I go out to look for some caches to take pictures of various things and the astra is no exception.

Thanks for the comments. :mrgreen:
Just FYI, your "non-professional" photography is the reason my wife chose this color! No joke here, I actually showed her your very first photos of the car and she loved the color. The dealer didn't have vehicles on stock. We chose it from your photos and the interior was chosen on faith alone (again - no vehicles in stock with the light interior).

What I am trying to say - anything we post here will help future owners and without even knowing it - you already have. ;)

Return to “Members Gallery”