Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

If the car have had the windshield wiper assistent activated when it was last turned off, i experience that the vipers will take one turn when the car is next turned on.
The car does ask if the assistent should be activated, but at that time the wipers has already completed the first turn.
I feel this is very unfortunate in winter time if the wipers are frozen.

Do anyone else experience this?

If someone can forward this to opel, I feel an update of the car software is in order

·
Registered
331 Posts
The automatic wipers can be affected by dirt in the area of the sensor. Have you tried cleaning that area and seeing if the issue occurs again?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dirt/snow should not activate the wipers without confirmation. No matter the reason the risk is breaking the wipers.

G

·
EDIT: Please see below post.

I'm sure a Corsa E that I had a courtesy car did this. If the stalk was left in the auto position, the wipers would activate once when the engine was started

·
Registered
856 Posts
M1chaelR said:
I'm sure a Corsa E that I had a courtesy car did this. If the stalk was left in the auto position, the wipers would activate once when the engine was started
Hi

I tend to have them set to automatic all the time and this morning when I started the car they didn't move.

Cheers

Paul

G

·
Paulch said:
M1chaelR said:
Hi

I tend to have them set to automatic all the time and this morning when I started the car they didn't move.

Cheers

Paul
Ah actually I remember, they wouldn't return to the starting position when killing the engine if I had them on auto and they were mid cycle like my Corsa D, that was the difference. Ignore my comment above, I shall edit accordingly.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mine don't wipe every time when you start the car, but if it thinks the screen is wet it will. You need to watch out if the screen is frosty because the sensor may think this is water. My old Citroen drove me mad because if you left the auto wipers on when you turned the ignition off, you would have to turn them off and on again when you started the car next otherwise they wouldn't work automatically. This was obviously to prevent the car trying to wipe a frozen screen.

·
Registered
280 Posts
1900sr said:
My old Citroen drove me mad because if you left the auto wipers on when you turned the ignition off, you would have to turn them off and on again when you started the car next otherwise they wouldn't work automatically.
My old Peugeot GTI used to be the same. Astra works fine, only time it sends wipers across when I start up is if there is water on the screen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, but it not logical for it to work this way. I hope we can agree that the risk of breaking the wipers should take priority, and therefore not activating the wipers before a driver confirmation. I strongly feel that when the car has been turned off, all settings should deactivate.
Who remembers to check the wiper settings before turning on the car....

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I agree it does make sense for the car not to remember the auto wipers are on from a protection point of view, but I know that my wife's Renault Megane is the same as the Astra in this respect. I suppose Opel/VX would just say they recommend you turn the wipers off at the end of the journey, just as you would on a car that doesn't have auto wipers after driving in the rain. I've made it part of my routine on frosty mornings, unlock car, make sure wipers are off, start car, set heater to defrost, get scraper out of door pocket, scrape frost off windows.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thomasbk said:
Yes, but it not logical for it to work this way. I hope we can agree that the risk of breaking the wipers should take priority, and therefore not activating the wipers before a driver confirmation. I strongly feel that when the car has been turned off, all settings should deactivate.
Who remembers to check the wiper settings before turning on the car....
I had this with a previous car. I just turned them off when I parked the car so didn't have to worry about them trying to work on a frozen screen when I turned the car on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.