Vauxhall Astra K Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
View attachment 74 I have the power red Astra and today got the rear windows tinted with Limo Black and it makes the car look great ? My Opinion.But I'm sure any Astra K with blacked out rear windows would look good.
I Got a good deal the company do a mobile service and only cost me £100.with that I'm happy and proud of how my car looks.So anyone thinking of getting it done I'd say go for it

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. can you post a picture let others see what the best tints to get .I don't think it really matters because the Astra K is a really nice shape anyway. And I suppose each to there own but it gives other owners a view of what each shade can be like and I think it also depends on car colour and I'd like to see what others have done to there cars to get some good ideas

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lock-N said:
Thank you. can you post a picture let others see what the best tints to get .I don't think it really matters because the Astra K is a really nice shape anyway. And I suppose each to there own but it gives other owners a view of what each shade can be like and I think it also depends on car colour and I'd like to see what others have done to there cars to get some good ideas
I will after wash my car as soon as possible :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Been thinking about tinting mine as well, looks good.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you I Think it makes the car stand out.It did even before getting the Windows done.iv Had a few admirers asking about the car also said the dark Windows makes it stand out.Another Astra K Owner said he is now thinking about having it done.I Think if other owners can post pictures of there's when done it would give folk an insight as to what shade to go for but as you can see I went for Limo Black had I seen other shades on Astra K Models I might have had a lighter one

·
Registered
331 Posts
It looks great Lock-N. It really highlights the floating roof. Has it not bumped up your insurance though?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi just going to phone them now. I had tints done to another car I had .I phoned insurance and told them and never got charged any extra.I even had to declare a Towbar and that was ok aswell.I feel the motorist is just a cash cow for insurance now.We have to tell them the slightest change and we pay.We don't tell them and we still pay.I read about a someone who changed his headlight bulbs.Had an accident.Insurance assessor found this change and his claim was declined for not notifying them he has put in brighter bulbs

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah, the insurers love to see how much more they can squeeze out of us. I hate the fact you have to declare a factory fitted optional extra as a "modification" with most insurers. :x I personally feel that there should be greater differentiation between the two.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Whichever insurer is telling you that a factory fitted optional extra is considered to be a modification is quite simply wrong!

The question is normally asked as "has your vehicle been modified from the manufacturers normal specification?" (Or similar). Optional extras fitted at point of manufacture are (and always have been) considered to be part of the normal specification.

The idea is only to capture information about after market mods.

You have to check exactly how the question is being asked to know precisely how to answer as some insurers refer to an improvement in performance. Would help if they all asked exactly the same question but they don't!

There was a story recently, where a lady had put a sticker in the rear window of her car and her insurers tried to kick a claim because of the 'modification'.

DM me if you are having a problem, I am an insurance broker, so this is my area of expertise.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi as your an insurer Broker what is the chances of Morethan increasing my premium for having rear window tints done around 4 years ago I never paid any extra but times have changed and I'm thinking now they might as they charge for the slightest modifications now a days

·
Registered
280 Posts
Premium reflects risk. If they try to increase the premium, ask them what is the increase in risk? If you don't get a straight answer, ask to speak to someone more senior.

I would be very interested to hear of what an insurer feels the increase in risk is!

Trouble is, person you speak to initially, probably won't know too much about it!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers I'll post on how I get on but risk.The only risk is how much they can charge I'd have thought it would help in security in not being abil to see what's in the back but I'll have the see tomorrow

·
Registered
331 Posts
MarcR said:
Whichever insurer is telling you that a factory fitted optional extra is considered to be a modification is quite simply wrong!

The question is normally asked as "has your vehicle been modified from the manufacturers normal specification?" (Or similar). Optional extras fitted at point of manufacture are (and always have been) considered to be part of the normal specification.
Really? I've learnt something new. I've been previously told (by multiple insurers) that I needed to declare the factory fitted parking sensors, alloys and VXR external styling kit on my GTC as modifications. That kind of annoys me as I potentially have been paying more.

The argument used was that the factory fitted extra changed the the vehicle from the manufacturers standard specification for that model and therefore was a modification. Also, that the factory fitted extra added increased cost to the price of the vehicle and risk because it made it more attractive.

Sorry to Lock-N for taking this thread off topic!

·
Registered
280 Posts
drey_p said:
MarcR said:

Really? I've learnt something new. I've been previously told (by multiple insurers) that I needed to declare the factory fitted parking sensors, alloys and VXR external styling kit on my GTC as modifications. That kind of annoys me as I potentially have been paying more.

The argument used was that the factory fitted extra changed the the vehicle from the manufacturers standard specification for that model and therefore was a modification. Also, that the factory fitted extra added increased cost to the price of the vehicle and risk because it made it more attractive.

Sorry to Lock-N for taking this thread off topic!
Very few cars leave a manufacturer without having something included as an option. If you use this forum as an example, I dont know of many people who haven't added at least one option! When asked the question, make sure you know exactly what they are asking. If they do suggest that an option is a modification ask them why.

If they suggest a higher premium, the only justification they could give is that car has higher value, but as they will probably ask you the value of the car anyway, this doesn't hold water so to speak!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a Problem it's great to hear how others have had to declare what insurance class as modified and what you have to declare after all that's what helps others when reading this forum

·
Registered
280 Posts
This has provoked an interesting debate in the office this morning.

Best advice, is to say that you have had manufacturers options fitted and see if they ask you more.

If they do want further details, give them the details. Should they ask for additional premium ask them to justify it after all, the options are either comfort or safety related.

·
Registered
331 Posts
MarcR said:
This has provoked an interesting debate in the office this morning.

Best advice, is to say that you have had manufacturers options fitted and see if they ask you more.

If they do want further details, give them the details. Should they ask for additional premium ask them to justify it after all, the options are either comfort or safety related.
I tend to do most things online so will have to read the wording and probably the T&Cs also to get clarity.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just had an interesting phone call with my insurer Morethan who I've been with for 15 years who have just cancelled my insurance because of having rear windows tinted.i was told the new system that they now use dose not allow for modifications ( CRAP ) what about a Towbar Then is this not a modification.I am in shock but there lose as I won't be renewing my home or pet insurance when due.iv found another company. Bit more expensive but insured me no problem. I had to rush to get cover as I was not able to drive.with having my policy cancelled.iv now got a year to fine a cheeper company but will never use Morethan again

1 - 20 of 61 Posts